Getting tickets to "Wicked"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're taking our 10-yr-old niece to NY for spring break April 21-26. Thought Wicked would be a good show for her, but open to other suggestions. Do you think we need to get tickets in advance (and if so, what's the best way?), or can we hit the booth when we get to NY and have a reasonable chance of getting tickets for sometime in the next 4 days? Thanks!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 09:43 AM

Wicked would be a great show - but is sold out far in advance. It will not be avaialble at TKTS (hit shows never are) - and you will be very lucky to find any tickets at all even buying now. If you really want to see it you will probably have to go to the on-line scalpers or try through your concierge (and pay way over face value).

If you are not set on this suggest you check a couple of the web sites (playbill.com, broadwaybox.com) to see if there are advance discounts on any of the other shows in which you might be interested.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 09:46 AM

I could be wrong, but I'd think your question should be "is there a snowball's chance in Hell that we can possibly get tickets?"

It is always "possible", certainly not probable, to get tickets at the box office -- relying on the rare possibility that someone just cancelled or that they just released some house seats. But if you really want to see this show, I suggest you call Ticketmaster now and see if they have ANYTHING available for your dates. This is a very hot ticket?
Some people have mentioned they've gotten lucky finding resale tickets on EBay or Craigslist, but I imagine they are paying a premium to get them.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, nytraveler and Patrick. I didn't know whether Wicked was still a sold out show or if the public had moved on.

We're not set on Wicked. Could be anything that a 10-yr-old would enjoy. It will be her first show! Any other suggestions? (Blue Man was another choice -- thought she'd find it fun.)
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 09:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Marilyn - "open to other suggestions" I don't know what she has already seen, but I just took my 10 yr old daughter (and 8 yr old son) to NYC 2 weeks ago. We saw Lion King, Wicked and Hairspray. They liked Hairspray the best, then Lion King and Wicked was last.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Marilyn - I had to step away from my desk while typing so your last response wasn't there when I typed mine! (I really do read responses before posting.)
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Marilyn, I did take a look at EBay. There are lots of tickets available there. I actually found a couple listings for your dates, specifically a couple listings for 4 tickets (2 and 2 behind each other) which are close down but extreme side (against the "wall" in other words). Starting bids on those are $369 for the four tickets. They are "partial view" of the set, but you can see all the basic action from there, and they are up close -- fourth or fifth row as I recall. There may be others if you want to take the time to pour through them all.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 10:09 AM

Call me crazy, but I think Wicked might be too old for a 10-yr-old. I don't have kids that age, so maybe I'm wrong. But the show involves themes of discrimination, parental abandonment, political ambition, etc. It is the Wicked Witch of the West's version of The Wizard of Oz, but I found that some of it requires you to be somewhat clever to "get" the joke of how it relates to the original.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, sundowner. I think I'll ask the 10-yr-old what appeals to her and go from there.

Thanks for doing the research, Patrick. Those prices seem pretty reasonable. I just looked on broadwaybox.com and had extreme sticker shock. I'm not sure I can stomach spending $600 or more on 3 theater tickets!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 10:45 AM

I'll agree with the recommendations of Hairspray or The Lion King. My 10-year-old grandson was mesmerized by Hairspray.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 10:53 AM

What about Fiddler on the Roof? Classic musical with songs she might know? Chitty Chitty Bang Bang got raves in London. Discounts available to both. Also Mama Mia.

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 11:00 AM

HowardR - on our trip we were operating on extreme "battle fatigue" by trying to fit in so much in a few short days. We saw the first 2 plays the first 2 days we were there and we had to buy some M&M's to munch on to keep us awake. (Not that the shows weren't great, we were just so tired.) During Hairspray, no one needed the candy to stay awake!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 11:38 AM

Interestingly, sundowner, our grandkids also were underwhelmed by Wicked. Both Hairspray and Fiddler were much more to their liking.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 02:16 PM

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang got raves in London? Not that I knew of. The reviews were quite mixed they said, but I only read rather negative ones. I saw it, and felt it was only OK. I'm not sure if they've done much new with it for Broadway. The car though is worth the price of admission -- it is the star.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

No way are we going to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also vote for Lion King. Your ten year old would love it and as an adult I adored it!
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:04 AM

I would also look at blue man group, which is tons of fun, as well as cooking and stomp.

My kids loved hairspray more than wicked, and lion king is really great for children
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:24 AM

You're going to have a tough time with getting Lion King tickets too. If you do go with Wicked- seating is extremely important, it's a huge theater and especially with a 10 year old, you will want good mid orch seating- probably NOT a chance of availabilty. Reserve NOW for Blue Man group- never any discounts with full price direct from the box office $74. I had to add a day when I tried to get tickets for last week, sold out 3 weeks before 2 out of 3 nights. I took my 7, 9 year old nephews to Slava's Snowshow- just excellent for all ages and a big bargain at $29+ mid week. Stomp is also a great show.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

It just keeps getting tougher and tougher to be a "spontaneous" traveler, doesn't it?

We're leaning toward Blue Man. Saw them YEARS ago and loved it, and we're pretty sure the 10-yr-old will love it, too. Slava's Snowshoe was also recommended by a NY friend. Now that our taxes are in to the accountant, I can finally concentrate on planning this trip.

Thanks to all of you for your assistance. Fodorville is, as always, a priceless fount of knowledge and assistance.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 01:03 PM

The Broadway.com website is also good to look at (reviews, etc.). I noticed that a musical version of Little Women is playing. That may be a good choice too - just to confuse you further!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -