Getting from Boston Logan to Salem,Mass.

Aug 21st, 2004, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Getting from Boston Logan to Salem,Mass.

I've looked at the MBTA site and Logan airports site and I see that I need to get to the North Station to take the train into Salem but it doesn't say how far the North Station is from Logan airport or how to get there.
I know I can also take a bus that takes one hour but I would prefer the train. Also, if anyone can tell me if the train runs on the weekends and how frequently that would be helpful.
You need a Philadelphia lawyer to understand the MBTA site. Thanks.
Aug 21st, 2004, 09:07 AM

Frankly, I don't think the MBTA site is difficult to navigate.

On the home page, there is a section titled, "Find Schedules, Maps, Station & Parking Info." If you go to the menu for the subway, and open the first option, the "Subway Main Page & Map," you will see that the Airport station is on the Blue Line and North Station is on the Green line, and that the two lines intersect at Government Center, so that's where you change over.

Go back to the MBTA home page, select the Commuter Rail map, you will see that the Salem stop is on both the Rockport and Newburyport lines. Go back to the home page, select the Newburyport/Rockport schedule, and you will find the schedules.

This is a total of 5 or 6 clicks, on clearly labeled menus. I don't see how it could be simpler.
Aug 21st, 2004, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much. I wasn't aware that I had to take the subway to get to North Station. I really appreciate your help.
Aug 21st, 2004, 11:17 AM

One piece of info that might make understanding the logistics of point A to point B is a rough idea of geography of the area - a map. Although both Logan and Salem are on the coast (and there might be a bus from Logan to Salem but I am clueless about bus routes in metro-Boston), the most effective way from Logan to Salem, is to go into Boston and then north to Salem (heading west to go east)

The MBTA is made up of bus routes, subway/trolley lines - by color Red, Green, Orange, Blue, commuter rail (train - on schedule it is purple), and commuter boat. In general, trains during non-commuter hours run about every hour or less often.

You did not indicate so, but I hope you are not staying in Salem for a trip to Boston - while people make the commute every day, it would be much more time-consuming and annoying to try to see things while based in Salem.

Logan Airport sits out towards the harbor. To get to dowtown Boston one must traverse the harbor - by bridge or tunnel. It is probably only a few miles as crow flies, but much further in travel time - and not practially or legally walkable.
Aug 21st, 2004, 01:51 PM

Are you going up to the museum? Here is their site for a special exhibit...one of many..http://www.pem.org/exhibitions/upcom...tion.php?id=31
Aug 21st, 2004, 02:16 PM

The trains run from North Station on the weekends on a much less frequent basis. Beware the return trip as trains don't run very late back to Boston. I only know about the Lowell but the last weekend train returns to Boston no later than 9:00pm.
Aug 21st, 2004, 02:39 PM

Two clicks at www.mbta.com will show that on weekends the last inbound train leaves Salem at 10:38 PM.
Aug 22nd, 2004, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Our flight leaves Boston at 6:30pm on a Saturday. We're not going into Boston at all. We're staying in Salem for 4 days. We've been to Salem countless times but we've always driven so getting from the airport will be a novelty to us.
ParrotMom, we've been to the Peabody before so I don't know that we will go again but thank you for the link.
Aug 22nd, 2004, 05:48 AM

The MBTA website lists trains from Salem to North Station leaving at 2 and 2:38 on weekends. If you go to MBTA website, click on commuter rail, select Newburyport/Rockport line you can view schedule. You have a coice of weekend/weekday and inbound/outbound schedules.