Search

Getting from airport.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting from airport.

Hi

We are flying from UK to New York for our honeymoon in July. I want to have an easy and relaxed journey into our hotel in NY (Michelangelo). Can anyone suggest the best mode of transport to use (being our honeymoon I don't mind splashing out a bit!)

Thanks

Martin
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 06:59 AM

Why don't you call the hotel and ask them what they suggest? They will probably tell you a limo would work and maybe even set it up for you.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:02 AM

Martin a taxi will be easiest. If you arrive at JFK, it's a flat fare of $45 into the city. If the driver uses the midtown tunnel to get into the city, the toll will be added. The 59th st. bridge has no toll & I love the view of Manhattan you get so I'd ask to go that way You should also tip about $5.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:03 AM

it would also help to know which airport you're flying into as there are 2 of them in NYC
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:43 AM

I have the same question. Arriving on a Tuesday about 11:00a.m. at LGA and staying at the Westin Essex Central Park. Will likely use a taxi. Should I request the driver take the bridge as well?

Thanks.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 08:01 AM

We have found that using a car service is more pleasant than a taxi--the cars are much nicer. We've had good service from both Tel Aviv and Carmel.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 08:02 AM

The cab fare from LGA is much less than from JFK. It's closer and should only be about $30. For the Essex House, definitely take the 59th st bridge (also known as the Queensborough bridge). FYI, the Triborough bridge does have a toll & is often the route of choice for taxis from LGA. I'd still do the 59th st. for the view and the no toll.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 08:04 AM

I agree going to the airport with a car service is better than a taxi. But when arriving, I hate trying to find the driver. A taxi is just easy if not easier. Make sure you get a yellow cab from the cab line. NOT a gypsy cab.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 08:09 AM

christm,

Since your are coming from the UK, I suspect that you are arriving into either JFK or Newark. LaGuardia does not have European flights that I am aware of. Having said that, the most convenient way to get to your hotel from the airport will be a cab. A car service would be a nice touch since it's your honeymoon. Below are links to transportation option from JFK and Newark.

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jgtsfram.htm

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/egtsfram.htm
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Agree that from the airport into the city a cab is much better than a car service. With the latter you first need to find the driver (they always seem confused to me) and then wait for him to trek to the parking lot to get the car and then drive around to pick you up. (They are not allowed to wait near the terminals.) And that's if you plane is on time. If your flight is early you'll have to wait for him to show up. If it's late either they have left or they will charge you for waiting time.

With a cab you just get on line (rarely takes more than 5 minutes or so), get in your cab and go.

As everywhere else, never take anything but a regular cab from the official line.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:02 AM

Friend,

I fly into JFK all the time and hands-down its easier to take a car service, albeit, one that specializes in airport runs. There are many "gypsy" cabs there with guys trying to offer you rides (I have to admit, I have had some of my cheapest rides that way, but you have to be willing to bargain for about 10 minutes). Carmel is a good service, clean cars and the like. Depending on the day and time of your arrival, waiting for a cab can be anywhere from 1 minute to 25 minutes, plus if you travel with alot of baggage, a car-service driver should help you with your bags leaving your hands free to hold those of your new bride. And also, many cab drivers just don't know there way around the city, or at least pretend, and I would rather be stuck in a nice car than a small taxi.

P.S. If you do fly into LGA, and take a taxi, remember there is an alternate taxi stand to the far right of the one everyone stands at that is never crowded, I've seen lines of 100 people at the center stand (which is located right outside of baggage claim) and 0 people at the alternate. No one seems to know about it.

P.S. 2---never tip only $5, any decent tipper should give 20% of the cost.