Search

Getting Around DC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting Around DC

From the moment I stepped out of the airport terminal, it was nuts. Cars were jockeying (rudely) for position, grim-faced people were pushing (rudely) past me, and taxicabs of various levels of decrepit- ness weaved insanely in and out of the whole mess. I wished desperately that I had asked for a corporate car to be sent to pick me up, but I had thought I would appear more self-sufficient if I handled everything on my own. So now I felt confused, stupid, inadequate, and in over my head on the entire new –job-in-Washington-lifestyle change. I wanted to turn right around and head back to Scranton, Pa.

That’s when I saw it. A clean, contemporary vehicle, driving carefully (not rudely or insanely) up to the curb. A lady stepped out of the backseat and the driver got out helping her unload her luggage. The driver seemed pleasant, and the lady seemed happy. I stepped forward and asked if I could get a ride into the city, and he was very polite and friendly. A soon as I was seated in the comfortable, sane-looking sedan, my whole demeanor improved. Now I felt relieved, reassured and competent. Just like that! Now I make it a point to call PK Sedan whenever I need DC Airport Limo service. I call them out of loyalty, gratitude and good common sense.

Old Feb 8th, 2009, 11:57 AM

The last time I flew into DC I used PK sedan - one of the biggest traveling mistakes I've ever made.

Driver and/or car smelled like last night's party, and not in a good way. I felt like I needed a shower when I got to my hotel.

The car wasn't on time and the driver took 20min to finally arrive to pick me up.

Lastly, I couldn't believe it when the driver actually commented (without being asked) what was considered a 'standard' tip in DC.

Never again - this PK sedan co is a 2nd rate operation.

Old Feb 8th, 2009, 12:02 PM

One post . . advertising!!
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 01:19 PM

If you can't get out of the airport without being rattled, you need to stay in Scranton.

There's a taxi line and signs pointing to the line. You get in the line and an attendant tells you when it's your turn and then hands you information about the fare. Couldn't be more simple.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 04:23 PM

Agree - all airport taxis lines work the same and anybody who's flown once knows it. Agree - if you're handicapped in some way perhaps you want to organize a car service - but not this one.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 04:31 PM

The taxi queues in the DC area airports are very well organized. There is no need to opt for an expensive private car ride.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 05:48 PM

Come on folks, Rich has this one nailed. It's a clumsy attempt at advertising. My wonder is that these folks have chosen to target the extremely disfunctional traveler.