Get your kicks on Route 66

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hubby would like to take a weekend trip somewhere so that he can drive a day or so on Route 66 and see the most memorabilic type places in the span of two days.

Wanted to see if anyone had any opinions as to which stretch of road would be the best to do this on. We will fly to whatever location on day 1, spend 2 days driving (to where ever and back) and then the 4th day flying home.

I know it sounds crazy, but, it's something to do. We're looking at going in the middle of October if that matters. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 04:22 PM

Much of Route 66 has become frontage roads with lots of run down motel etc.

Check this out if no one else can give you ideas.

http://www.historic66.com/

[Where are you coming from and how far are you willing to fly?]
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 04:26 PM

I didn't look too closely at that link; these may have more info:

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/66-Mainpage.html

http://www.national66.com/

http://www.bygonebyways.com/Route%2066.htm

I got these by googling route 66

Looks like each state seems to have its own site too.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 04:38 PM

There are Route 66 sites in every states from Chicago to LA. But if you want to actually drive on old pavement, then concentrate on Arizona.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Check this web site out. You can click on each state and it tells what you can see. Also DH and I did the entire Route 66 trip three years ago. I have alot of books, maps etc I no longer need that I could send you, no charge.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/66-Mainpage.html
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of the replies so far.

DebitNM - We will be coming from the east coast, but we are willing to fly as far as NM or AZ.

marleneawe - Thank you so much for your generous offer. We are just in the preliminary planning stages right now, but I may take you up on it. In your journeys, what areas did you find the most scenic or nostalgic/authentic of the route?

I will definitely check out all of the websites. You all are wonderful. Thanks.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 07:54 PM

About Route 66 in Arizona - Just a word of caution, from experience. We drove Route 66 out of Kingman towards Oatman, and whilst it is scenic and nostalgic, the pavement is not engineered like modern roads and so is very unforgiving. We found ourselves sailing off the road, rolling several times and writing off a hire car - fortunately coming out unscathed, but it could have been very different. Slow down and take extra care.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 12:50 AM

Looks like you really got 'your kicks'

We will be carefull when we visit Arizona next june. ;-)
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 06:16 AM

We've drive the old 66 from Chicago to Winslow in Arizona in 3 "segments" :
-1st year from Chicago to Oklahoma City
-2d year from Oklahoma City to Albuquerque;
-3rd year from Santa Rosa(west of albuquerque) to Winslow by Las Vegas(NM) and Santa Fe...
Each part has its advantages...
Illinois/Missouri had a lot of old
buildings(Dwight, gas station,Pontiac,...) and some old parts of the road are possible to drive or to see(the chain of rock bridges ie or t(he devil's elbow).
But, turistically, it's not so "rich" that SW...Some cultural stops are possible(Springfield in Illinois with Lincoln's office) or "kitch stop"(meramec caverns, Jesse James museum).
Kansas-very small part/Oklahoma and Texas had a lot of culture(museums in Tulsa and Oklahoma, Cadillac ranch in Amarillo) and some of nice typical diners or "restaurants"(The big texan in Amarillo ie).
New mexico/Arizona are the most colorfull and very rich in native civilisations(both from 19-20th centuries, but also older : acoma city,
pueblos,..).A lot of natural wonders(painted desert, el malpais, el morro, petrified forest) and a lot of old motels/hotels(el rancho at gallup, el valdo motel at albuquerque) and some art deco buildings(Kimo theater in albuquerque, some nice buildings in gallup)...But no very much old parts of 66 are in condition in those parts...
For me, in a week end, Illinois/Missouri or Oklahoma/Texas are
feasable without too much frustration...
NM/Arizona need more...
Erik.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:43 AM

We took a month and left 30 miles outside of Chicago. And I spent five months reading, and checking out every web site on here. Printed out turn for turn directions, got online and got information on what books and maps which I purchased. If you do not have good directions, it will appear that most of Route 66 is just interstate, not true. Also there is alot of old buildings, motels etc still around. I have proof with over 800 pictures. We were are a section of a brick road, original, without the books and maps one would not know it was even there. Anyway I could go on and on.Which state has the most, this is extremely difficult for me to answer because each state has alot. But if I had to pick which one I guess it would be Arizona and into California all the way to the end Santa Monica. We were on roads that dead end and I had to turn around, all the actual Route 66. We were in Oatman, AZ and got to feed the donkeys that come into town. Had no problems driving any roads, my directions and books told me exactly where the bad parts were, so we took it slow and was in no hurry to get to the next point. It was the best trip DH and I had taken, except now we spent almost two months in Alaska so it is now on the top. But be sure and do your homework this will be of much advantage to making your trip a great one.