General Moab Questions

Search

General Moab Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Moab Questions

Would like to go canyoning, we prefer canyoning with a lot of water. Anyone recommend a company and a tour?

I booked the Holiday Inn Express in Moab but then found tons of bad reviews on TriAdvisor, anyone stayed there?

Thinking of changing the reservation to the Silver Sage Inn (received positive reviews).
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Hi Jedi,

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express once when I took my dog with me. I was extremely unhappy with them because even though I clearly stated that I was brining my dog (which they accept), they did not include the extra pet charge in the room rate I was confirmed with.

Caused a BIG fight upon check in. Other than that, it's a typical inexpensive motel property. Don't expect much.

There are other places nicer and quieter to stay for not much more $$.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Silver Sage Inn.

Also, I would not go out of my way just to take the ferry across Lake Powell. You could sit and wait for a while and see more scenery in other ways. The Bullfrog/Hite crossing is not all that scenic.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 02:57 PM

I haven't stayed at the HIE Moab, but I did have a reservation and cancelled it after arriving and not liking the location. The Holiday Inn Express is on the outskirts of Moab and not really within walking distance of restaurants and shops. Other than that it looked fine.

I switched my booking to the Best Western Canyonlands and was satisfied with the hotel and location.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:31 AM

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express the end of May this year and it was fine. Very typical Holiday Inn Express, clean, beds were comfy and it fit my family of six well. We had a little microwave and refrigerator, which was nice for drinks. The free continental breakfast was nice to get an early start to the day.

I agree it would have been nice to have been in town, but the drive was only a few minutes, and we were actually closer to Arches, which was nice when we were going that direction. I wouldn't hestitate to stay there again, especially since I love getting the reward points.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. We wanted to do Holiday Inn because of the points too but were readin so many bad reviews plus, it would be nice to be in the city instead of out.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 06:52 AM

We stayed at the Apache motel where John Wayne used to stay when making movies in the area.Quiet place, nice pool.Paul
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 01:12 PM

I always stay at one of the Best Westerns (there are 2) and they are in awesome locations--right in town. One time I just showed up on a Saturday and got a King Suite for $150 a night.

Canyons with water can be found in the Lake Powell area. The lake is so low right now that many canyons and gorgeous features have been uncovered. That is in Page, Utah, which is in the middle of the state--a ways from Moab. You could certainly do a float river trip. You have to get up a bit higher in elevation to hike canyons with water. Canyons off the Paria River (out of Page) or the San Rafael Swell (north of Moab) are good. Look at the Canyoneering Series of books by Steve Allen for ideas. There are many guide services in Moab but I have never used one.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 06:49 PM

Page used to be located in Arizona?
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Larry's right - Last time I was there, Page wasn't located in the middle of Utah.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 06:16 PM

I'm sorry, not in the middle of the state, but in the middle of the southern part of the state. St. George anchors one corner, Bluff/Moab the other and Page is in the middle. Sort of how I divvy up my hiking regions.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 06:18 PM

And, yes, Page is in Arizona--just over the border. That "strip" section starts to have real fluid boundaries. The only time it's a problem is with Daylight Savings Time. I had a backpack trip where we were all coming from DST to Arizona but then the hike started on the Navajo Reservation which does use DST. It's amazing we ever got started!
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM

Can't help you with the canyoning but stayed in the HIE in June of 07. I thought it was fine. Pros for me: good service, clean room, small laundry, better than most I've seen breakfast, and wireless Internet.

I would stay there again.

Mike Honeycutt
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Stayed in the Sleep Inn. It was very nice....enjoyed Moab.