Gay days at Dollywood

Search

Gay days at Dollywood

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gay days at Dollywood

Am, planning a trip to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg over the Fathers day weekend. I Now understand that that weekend is Gay Days at Dollywood.
I would choose not to expose my family to an overtly gay situation. Does anyone know how this gay event would impact this area??
Thanks for any input.
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:08 AM

"overt" as in two people not married holding hands or something?
Old May 30th, 2007, 04:15 AM

Didn't know there was such a thing but just googled. Your family won't be "exposed" to anything different than any day in the park - other than more folks wearing red Tshirts than other days of the year. Saturday = Dollywood Sunday = Splash Country
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:05 AM

Why pass up a situation that could stimulate a conversation about family values, alternate lifestyles, fashion choices, bigotry, etc.?
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:12 AM

Happy Trails, good reply
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:22 AM

Seriously, Gand, I wouldn't worry about it. The percentage of gay families attending might increase to something below 10 percent of the whole crowd (90 percent traditional families), and, as starr suggested, the `overt` behavior will most likely involve wearing a logo t-shirt and perhaps holding hands.

This could be a good opportunity for you to ease some of your fears. Your family will survive the trauma.
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:01 AM
iceeu2

I cannot believe how unnecessarily unkind the majority of you who have posted to this thread are being.

It's because of these types of responses that people leave Fodor's or do not recommend Fodor's to others.

The OP asked about an overtly gay situation and wanted to know how it would impact this area, not what you thought of her opinions of gays.

gandb7, I have no idea how this event will impact the area. Just know that Dollywood is a very popular amusement park and is generally always crowded.

Old May 30th, 2007, 08:16 AM

Iceeu2, beat me to it, but I completely agree. It would be nice if someone who has been to Dollywood on that day could answer her question rather than assuming gandb7 is anti-gay.
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Kealalani

Due to liscensing laws, they have changed the name to Out at the Park. In past years the KKK publicly protested the red shirt people. Although I would predict it to be a funfilled family day, which is exactly its intent and what the organizers are looking for - well, you just can't predict who will show up with their soapbox. I would google to find out more info. They are expecting 5000 participants in this family day this year with the group meeting at the park and at the waterpark.

Old May 30th, 2007, 08:26 AM

And I cannot believe how unnecessarily PREJUDICED the OP is being, OK?

And no, I don't like it and yes I will continue to be "UNKIND" to those people who are.

Old May 30th, 2007, 08:28 AM

In past years the KKK publicly protested the red shirt people

I'm glad we've managed to get it down to a mere "protest" as opposed to what they used to do.
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Kealalani

Funny, I have more gay friends than straight friends and didn't find anything wrong with the OP's querie. If you have ever hung out in Provincetown over the 4th of July, then you will know what overtly gay behavior is.

Old May 30th, 2007, 08:30 AM

And even if gandb7 is "anti-gay", who is it here that's close-minded? Geez...
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:32 AM

Well, hopefully someone who has attended will, but the OP has received at least a couple of helpful responses.

When I googled I learned this is will be the 5th year of Out At the Park and there has been very little impact or negative press. In 2005 there were 3000 participants. I was at the park a couple of weeks ago and the attendence was 16,000 and I was told that normal summer attendence was about 20,000. So, what? Maybe 1 in 5 to 1 in 7 people at the park will be wearing a red tshirt?

So, I stand by my earlier comment - other than seeing more red tshirts than usual, the OP probably won't see anything to cause concern.

I only saw one teen hetero couple "swapping spit" when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Chances are slim that the OP will see anything alarming.

One idea would be to wear red tshirts themselves and be greeted with smiles and waves throughout the day. If Dolly were to be in the park that day, I betcha she would give 'em a big ole hug.
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Dukey,

what exactly is PREJUDICED about gandb7 OP? They wanted to know what to expect so they asked a question, that is what this board is for. If they do not want to expose their family to something that is their right is it not? There is nothing PREJUDICED about it! Now if they were trying to prevent it from happening that would be a different story. A little sensitive aren't we.

Gandb7,

To answer your question, this event has been going on at Disney for many years and it has become quite popular. That being said unless you are really looking for something, you probably would not notice anything different except for an overabundance of red shirts.
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:48 AM

The majority of people going to the park that day will probably not even be aware that it is a "special" day for anyone, and you will be in the huge majority that just happen to be there that day. gandb7, BTW, I did not take your post as anti-gay. I don't care for extremely overt PDAs from ANYBODY, but that's something we can't control, and I don't think you'd have any more of that from gay couples than straight ones in a place like Dollywood!
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:52 AM
GoTravel

I'm sorry but someone who is not homophobic would not ask this question.

Calling a situation 'overtly gay' is homophobic.

I'm with Dukey on this one.

If gandb7 did not have a problem, this question would have never been asked.

Old May 30th, 2007, 08:59 AM

i2, I was addressing wtm003, not you.

My original information was valid without giving stats. The OP could google and read what I read. I based my opinion based on what I read. The OP could easily do the same.

3000 participants will not be the majority in the park that day. Even if that number were doubled, it would not be the majority in the park.

The weekend I was there, there would have easily been 1 in 7 gay visitors.

I agree with elsiemoo. Quite possibly, the OP or park goers that day would be wondering "Why all the red tshirts?"

I think my added information on Saturday will be the Dollywood day and Sunday will be Splash Country would easily help the OP decide which day to attend Dollywood that weekend - based on whether or not she wants to see lots of red tshirt.
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:11 AM

perhaps gandb7 has small children and is not ready to answer their questions about "why is that man kissing another man?" or "why is that lady kissing another lady?"

I am not homophobic, but certainly understand the hesitation in not knowing what to expect from an advertised gay days.

Live and let live...oh, and if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:15 AM
iceeu2

So, GoT, let me ask you this. What kind of racist am I for not wanting to expose my family to the motorcyle event in Myrtle Beach over Memorial Day weekend?

The OP was asking for input and instead got a lot of our opinions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -