Gatwick to Heathrow help

Search

Gatwick to Heathrow help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gatwick to Heathrow help

We fly into Gatwick at 6pm and out of Heathrow at 1130am the next morning. Where would you stay and what source of transportation would you use to get from LGW to LHR...
Also is there an area of town you would recommend to stay away from ??
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

sorry wrong forum.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Hi,

Gatwick to Heathrow is not the easiest, personally I would book a car to take you. It costs between £40-£60, if you're not on a tight budget.

Otherwise check out this site..

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/...k_transfer.htm

That has all the info on the various different methods of cheaper transportation.

There are many hotels by Heathrow, I personally would go straight to Heathrow so you aren't fighting traffic the following morning.

Try the Park Inn, they have decent rooms at resonable prices.

Hope this helps! I fly in and out of LGW & LHR alot, I always stay at Heathrow. It's safe and easy.

Leave yourself plenty of time for security it took me almost 2 hrs last time to get through!!!

Happy Travels!
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 10:51 AM

I'd stay around Gatwick for the night and take the shuttle bus the next morning.
http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/...k_transfer.htm

Gatwick is less urban than the Heathrow area. The Hilton right at the airport is nice but expensive. There are other places to stay within a reasonable distance.

There's also a Japanese type "capsule" hotel within Gatwick: http://www.yotel.com/

Have a great trip
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
please see the responses on your first thread a couple of days ago (click on your name)

BTW: Staying at LGW means a longer journey since you'd have to travel during the height of the morning commute. If you do decide to go to LHR that night you won't be on the road untill about 7:30p.m. or so and the traffic won'r be nearly as bad.

The yotel is VERY expensive for an overnight stay - it is really geared for short layovers since it charges by the hour. Priceline will get you much cheaper hotels at LHR.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 11:21 AM

<<< Gatwick to Heathrow is not the easiest, >>>

?????

It's probably the easiest connection between any two airports in the UK.

Follow signs to coach/bus station, hand over money, get on coach, get off an hour or so later. Biggest problem is then getting to your hotel at Heathrow from the airport as only one hotel is on site

All the information is in the "to and from our airport" section of the Gatwick and Heathrow Airport websites

The only time I would even consider staying at a hotel at Gatwick would be if I arrived after 10:00pm AND my flight onward flight from Heathrow was in the afternoon.

Otherwise I'd get as close as I could to the place I'm leaving from the next day
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Wow lots of good information. I have started doing research from the leads you have given me. I appreciate it so much.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

WIth my research they mention Victoria station and Paddington Station. Are these apart of the airports or destination in the greater London area. Please pardon my ignorance I have never been to England before.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 04:13 PM

London airport 101:

Victoria Station is where trains go to/from Gatwick airport

Paddington Station is where trains go to/from Heathrow airport

The two train stations are not near each other - they are across central London from one another.

Gatwick and Heathrow are connected by a direct coach (bus) that does not go into London at all - it just connects theh two airports.

So whether Victoria and/or Paddington even need to factor into your plans depends on IF you decide to travel into the city.

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Bus to LHR, Priceline hotel - Under US$80 ought to get you a 4 star hotel - Sheraton Skyline, Marriott, Crowne Plaza, etc. You'll have to ride the #@&! Hoppa Bus from the airport to the hotels (£4 pp each way) but ought to save it on hotel cost.

If there are more than 3 of you, you might also google "London airport car services" for a car service straight to the LHR hotel, thereby avoiding the #@&!... Probably should cost ca. £80, so do the math.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 06:44 PM

With a 11:30a departure, I'll stay in London instead. Tube or train to LHR next morning.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 06:55 PM

I agree with rkkwan. If you've never been to England, go to London. Have dinner and stay there, maybe have a walk around and go to Heathrow in the morning. Another option is to stay in Windsor for the night. It's right near Heathrow and a lot nicer than staying in an airport hotel.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 08:38 PM

Normally I'd agree - but w/ a 6 p.m. arrival they won't be to any hotel until at about 8:30-9:00. Then the have to leave the hotel by 0800 to get to LHR 2.5 - 3 hours ahead. For basically 3 hours in London from 9 - midnight I personally think going to LHR and using priceline for a hotel makes the most sense.

Now - if they arrived at LGW earlier in the afternoon - I'd definitely stay in London. But not w/ this schedule.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Gardyloo, what is the #@&! Hoppa Bus??

"You'll have to ride the #@&! Hoppa Bus from the airport to the hotels (£4 pp each way) but ought to save it on hotel cost."

You say we can get into Crowne Plaza, Sherton or Marriot for 80 GBS. Is that through Price line?
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 08:02 PM
dmlove

I don't know your dates, but just checked hotels.com, and the better chain hotels are between $120 and $200 (US Dollars) per night, so 80 pounds would be about right.

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 08:07 PM

the Hoppa bus (w/ or w/o the cussing ) is the shuttle bus to all the airport area hotels. None of the hotels have their own shuttles. There are various Hoppa routes that serve different groups of hotels. the bus stop has the list of Hoppa routes/hotels served.

You should be able to get a LHR hotel for around $90-$100 or less on Priceline. But you won't know which one you "won" until your bid is accepted. If using PL makes you uneasy - then use hotels.com or other sites - but you will pay quite a bit more.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 09:28 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry for the <expletives deleted> - yes, the Hoppa Bus is an extortionate airport/hotel shuttle that takes its place as one of the more irritating aspects of Heathrow (don't get me started.) As janisj says, none of the airport hotels have their own shuttles, all use this "service." Grrr.

No, I meant that a private car from Gatwick to one of the Heathow area hotels, not stopping at the airport, should cost in the neighbo(u)rhood of £80. The hotels (see www.biddingfortravel.com for bidding results and how-tos) should be around US$100 tops if bid on through Priceline, i.e. around £50 - vs. their usual rates of twice to three times that amount.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:53 AM
dmlove

Check hotels.com as previously mentioned. There are many good hotels that are in the mid-$100s (not the mid-$200s) --- although I'm sure the exact date of your stay matters.

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

All I can say is I admire all of you that use BFT. I just checked out the process and it is in depth. Seems like you need a degree in bidding to figure out all the tricks. I have used hotels.com before. I will see how much time I have to study BFT and PL. If not I may just work and extra shift and pay for the hotel.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 09:23 AM

You don't need to know much about Priceline or BFT to bid for LHR.

Stick with 4*. You'll most likely get one of these hotels:
-Sheraton Skyline
-Marriott
-Crowne Plaza
-Renaissance

There's no free rebid zones, so you can't do anything except name a price, and see if you get accepted or not. If not, wait 24 hours and do it over, probably bidding higher.

Looking at the reported bids in the last few months, people have been getting these 4* between $60-$120.

If you're ready to buy a $150 hotel on hotels.com, why not give PL a shot at PL to save some money?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -