Gatlinburg...Timber Tops

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Carole

Gatlinburg...Timber Tops

We have rented a cabin in the Wildwood Forest area for a few days. After reading some of the scary posts about Gatlinburg & surrounding area, I'm a little worried. I would REALLY appreciate your advice and suggestions!!! Want this trip to be nice and memorable, not cheesy and full of if-only-I'd-known thoughts.

Has anyone stayed in a Timber Tops cabin? Did you like it?

Which restaurant did you enjoy the most?

We have two full days to spend. One will be at Dollywood (at kids' request). The second will be enjoying the mountains...any suggestions? We have a 9, 7 and 1 year old.

Thanks for your time and input!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 10:51 PM
Cathi

Personally I love Gatlinburg. We have gone there about 8 times now...I never tire of the beauty of the mountains.
Sure it is crowded and touristy but so are a lot of other places...being in a cabin you will find it very peaceful.
Dollywood is a lot of fun. It has been a while since we were at the park, though. There are TONS of things for your kids to do in Pigeon Forge...
They have horse back riding in various places that take you through some mountain trails. There are hiking trails all over. You can get info on that stuff at the Welcome Center just as you go into Gatlinburg.
The Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg has great breakfasts. It is right on the main strip. We have 4 kids so we ate cheap a lot..Pizza Hut etc. So, I am not a good judge of restaurants...
Some of the Restaurants are overpriced in my opinion but that goes for most tourism places.
We did go to the Dixie Stampede one year and the food was really good and the show great...pretty pricey but we really enjoyed it. Splurged that year...haha.
I cannot give you any info first hand on the Timber Tops resort but I can say that I have been on their website just recently since we are planning a family trip in the fall and their cabins look wonderful..hopefully there are some people on here who can give you some first hand info on them...they are the ones that I am leaning towards booking for our family trip..would appreciate hearing how you like them. We need a 4-5 bedroom.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Carole

Cathi,

Thanks for the info. We're going at the end of this month. We have rented a cabin with one bedroom. I was impressed with their website, and their cabins look great (www.yourcabin.com if anyone is interested). Hopefully they're as great in person.

I'll do my best to remember to post a review. Check back in August.

Carole

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Andrea

Don't be scared about the posts you've read. Like anything, a vacation is what you make of it...when we go to Gatlinburg we know that we're going for laid-bak relaxation with friends, same as when we go to NYC we're there for food and activity. So keep a positive attitude and have fun.

We stayed at a Timber Tops cabin in January 2000. Wonderful drive up to the cabins and the cabin itself was terrific. We had a jacuzzi and a hot tub, loft, and pool table. Everything was really nice (and I've stayed at other not-so-nice cabins).

Definitely do some hiking in the Park. AVOID Ober-Gatlinburg like the plague (very cheesy and touristy, and dirty). We have gone with a group of friends to G-burg for the last couple years and manage to have a good time just sitting in our cabin and relaxing. There's plenty to do, so either way you definitely won't be bored. I'd bring food in with you if you're driving...things at the markets there are $$$, and honestly I enjoyed eating in our cabin more than eating out. The restaurants we have tried have been average at best.

Have fun and post a report when you return!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Scott

We have been going to Gatlinburg for the
past 7 Octobers. We like being in the
mountains during the day, and then we
do a little window shopping, etc. at
night. We stayed in a Timber Tops cabin
in Wildwood forest last Oct. Wildwood
Forest is a collection of about 5 cabins
about 3 miles off the Parkway. It is
very quiet and peaceful. It is not a
mountain view location, but all the trees makes for a nice scene. Our cabin
was the Acadian Charm and it was only a
year old then. It looked exactly as it
looked on the website. In fact, all the cabins were quite new, and looked
fine from the outside. The 9 & 7 year
old may enjoy the NASCAR go carts up in
Sevierville, which are perfect for their
age.

G'burg is a touristy area, full of t-shirt shops and old time photos places. But, the National Park is just
the best place to be, although we always go in Oct. to see the Fall Foliage. I
haven't read any of the posts on this
site for many months, but if you have
any specific questions, I know I could
answer them.