Gassing up near Albany NY?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking that I probably will need to get gas, somewhere around the Capitol District. I know the area a bit, so am not afraid to get off the highways for a brief (brief!) detour. My route from NYC to the Northway (we're going all the way up) will most likely be via the Taconic and the Mass Pike extension. Any ideas?

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:57 AM
rqf

It is about 35 miles from Albany to Saratoga Springs.I am certain you won't have trouble finding an open station just off the Northway
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:59 AM

Are gas stations really that sparce in NY State that you have to plan a gas break?

Get gas when you see a gas station and are getting low. I think this takes the cake as an example of trying to overplan a trip.

If you are looking to save a few bucks realize that every mile you drive looking to save 5 cents per gallon is probably costing you 10 cents in fuel consumption.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:04 AM

Idea: When you hit 1/4 or 1/8 of a tank, pull over at the next gas station. You'll see them frequently -- it's upstate NY, not Siberia.

Good luck!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the 2nd and 3rd posters for your gratuitous advice.

I'd like to avoid driving around aimlessly near Albany (or anywhere else for that matter.) If you are familiar with the roads I mentioned, you will be aware they have long stretches through rural areas, and it's not always obvious from the highway what's around at each exit. But thanks - glad to give you both a chance to explain about buying gas when the tank is running low. It really helped. A lot.

Following rgf's advice, we'll aim for one of the exits North of Albany, along the Northway.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Hey, ask a stupid question, expect stupid answers.

But I'm glad you've got it all figured out now.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Hi Hellie- I'm not sure if you are looking for less expensive gas, but there is a website:

www.albanygasprices.com

to find a station with lower rates.

From my personal experience, you can get off at exit 7 of the Northway- there is a Mobil station not far from the ramp. If you get off at exit 7, turn left off the ramp- you will go through one light on the bridge, and then on your left you will see a MObil station. When you fill up, turn right out of the lot and then get into the left hand lane to get back onto the NWay.

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

I was hoping to find a location that was quick and convenient, preferably not getting fleeced in the process. Your response was perfect. Thanks.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Hellie- I just thought about what I wrote- there is an easy gas station at exit 7, but the directions are from exit 6! I hope that you will see this in time, and I won't send you all over Latham searching...

Sorry about the mix up-