Search

Gasoline rip off

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gasoline rip off

I just spent a week in Florida arriving in Orlando Airport. I've made this trip many times picking up my rental car at a satilite location for the ease of shuttle to the airport. I have been all around Florida for the previous week and found that gasoline prices were about $ 2.20 or so. My usual routine is to refuse the auto fill-up the car rental places offer and just stop at a close by gasoline station. Weeeell, yesterday I started pumping gas into my rental car and noticed that the "regular gas" price was $ 3.59 per gallon. I questioned the person at the counter and she stated that she knew that it was well out of line but there was nothing she could do about it. I mentioned to the gentleman that accepted the return rental and he also said that they were aware of it and the gasoline was just $ 2.25 a couple of blocks down the road. Doesn't this constitute price gouging? Shouldn't the state of Florida be aware of it. Or does this happen all of the time? BS
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 04:50 AM

This is one of those "Buyer Beware" things. The price was posted. It was your place to notice it.

I think that price gouging is when a place of business takes advantage of circumstances that prevent the customer from going elsewhere. Such as happens during hurricanes, etc. That wasn't the case here. It's unlikely that the State would be able to control what the owner chooses to make as profit on a sale.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 04:54 AM

You don't say where you gassed up, Bob, but three weeks ago my group rented from Budget, and if we brought the car back empty, we were told up front the price would be $6 per gallon (this was Philadelphia). Local prices were about $1.99.

So yes they gouge, that's why whenever you rent a car, first thing you should do is locate a nearby gas station for fillup upon return.

Florida takes gas price gouging very seriously. It may be worth reporting to Agriculture & Consumer Services:

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/s...3/daily32.html
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 04:59 AM

Car rental agencies have always charged excessively for gas. That it why most renters return vehicles "full." This practice is not a rip-off because renters are warned of the practice--no fraud is envolved.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 05:18 AM

There is a long thread about this gas station on TripAdvisor. I haven't read it in a day or two, but if you have time, go read it and maybe someone there has contacted someone who can help.

Happytrailstoyou--This is not at a car rental company, this is at a gas station nearby.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 05:32 AM

Sometimes businesses price things at super high levels because they don't want to do that service.

Car rental agencies are not in the gas business. If you return the car with an empty tank, someone at the agency has to go get the gas tank refilled before renting it out again. It takes time out of their schedule and keeps the car out of service for an additional period time (ok, maybe 30 minutes max).

Price gas at $6/gallon and most people won't use the service. Makes it easier for them to return the car into service.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 05:34 AM
GoTravel

I don't think it is illegal because you are free to get back in your car and drive to another gas station.

Didn't you check the price before you started pumping? I always do.

Old Nov 30th, 2006, 06:42 AM

The remark about hurricanes and disasters being price gouging was correct, I think that's the general idea.

This is a dumb complaint IMO, you bought something and didn't bother to check the price before, so then you complain that you think that place charges too much and there should be a law against retail establishments charging certain prices so that dopes who don't bother to check prices can be protected. Grow up.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 07:18 AM

Though the difference isn't usually that large, gas stations near rental returns are almost always higher than those a few miles away. You are paying for the convenience and still beating the price the rental firm would charge.

I make a point of getting gas before approaching the airport.

Keith
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 08:00 AM

2 exits east on the Beeline is a Citgo or 7 Eleven that's much cheaper. Did you go to the Chevron on 436? It is a ripoff but that's capitalism. I learned the hard way, too.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 08:02 AM

The day before I return a car, I go to
www.GasPriceWatch.Com
www.GasBuddy.Com
to find out where to get buy price gas near to where I'm going to return the car.

The station that charged you a high price for gas will continue to do so as long as people like you continue to fill up at their inflated price. It's only price gouging against people too lazy to do a little checking.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 04:23 PM

When I'm looking for gas, I don't stop at a filling station unless it has prices advertised on a big sign. In my experience, when prices aren't so advertised they are excessive.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 05:31 PM
J62

I guess I don't get the complaint.

"I started pumping gas into my rental car and noticed that the "regular gas" price was $ 3.59 per gallon. I questioned the person at the counter"

I think you're missing one big phrase in the middle there, something like "I noticed the price, and I made a decision to accept that price and fill up anyway."

Welcome to capitalism 101.

Gasoline price was available for you to see before you pumped gas, yet you went ahead anyway. How is that any different than buying a pair of jeans at a boutique store for $100 ea, when you can buy jeans at kmart for <$20.

Or rather getting the exact same can of soup at a 7-11 for 2x the price you paid at Sam's club because it's more convenient.

The gas station chooses to sell gas at $3.59 per gallon. You chose to purchase gas there.

Gasoline retailing is all about deciding what volume at a what price. Some stations would rather sell 1000 gal at 5c/gal profit compared to 500gal at 2c/gal profit. This station obviously feels it's better to sell 10 gal at $1.60/gal profit. The numbers are made up, of course, but you get the picture.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 05:41 PM

J62, you took the words out of my mouth. Thanks for being a straight shooter (and straight thinker).
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 05:45 PM

I AGREE COMPLETELY. I WANT TO JOIN THE CLASS ACTION SUIT! BUT, I'd like to add on Ruth's Chris Steak House.

I COULD NOT believe it. The prices they charged! The steak was many times more than the full buffet at Golden Corral down the street! The side of asparagus cost more than a whole bunch of asparagus at the grocery store!

Talk about a rip off! Ruth's Chris! "Doesn't this constitute price gouging?"
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 07:07 PM

Some restaurants charge $3 or more for a coke. You can buy one in a grocery for a fraction of that. Or you can buy a gallon of milk at a regular super market for a fraction of what they charge at a 7-11. Are those considered "ripoffs" too?

Pumping gas without looking at the price is just plain DUMB! And looking at the price and continuing to pump and then complaining about it later is even DUMBER. Sorry, but there is simply no other way to put this!
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 04:24 AM

Before jumping on BobSwanson, notice that he didn't rant. His post was more of an inquiry if this was unfair, "Or does this happen all of the time?"

Keith
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 04:31 AM

Huh? Calling this situation a "rip off" in his title isn't a rant?

Does what happen all the time? People paying for things without checking the cost? Sure. It happens a lot.

Did we miss the part where Bob clearly stated that he had already noticed that the going price was $ 2.20 or so, but yet he continued to fill his tank at $ 3.59 a gallon?

Should we also call it a rip off because a hotel charges $129 some nights and $259 on others -- for the same room? Apparently this place is able to sell gas at that price because of its super convenient location or for some other reason. After all, I doubt that Bob is the only one who has bought gas there.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 06:04 AM

I looked up price gouging, and apparently there has to be a "state of emergency" for the charge to apply. Since there was none, Bob was RIPPED OFF.

I could see myself doing the same thing, though, because one has limited time when returning a rental car and trying to make a flight. How much is it worth to get back in the car and drive around a strange town looking for a cheaper station (and usually airports are in a not-so-safe-feeling area)? It would make me nervous, I can just hear my DH saying, "get on with it, we're gonna be late for our flight".

It's still a RIPOFF, even if it's not actual gouging.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 02:55 PM

To rip-off is to swindle using deception, which does not apply in this case. BS said that when he started pumping he noticed the price was $3.59 per gallon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -