Reload this Page >

Galveston or Corpus Christi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Kate

My husband and I are thinking of driving from Austin, TX to the Gulf for Memorial Day weekend. We were thinking of either Galveston or Corpus Christi (we're new to the state and haven't visited either city.)

Does anyone have any suggestions of one city versus the other? If so, can you recommend any places to stay/eat?

Alternatively, if there's another place on the coast that you think is a better idea (especially over that busy weekend) I'd love the input. Thanks!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:37 AM
travellyn

It all depends on what you want to do. There is probably a greater variety of options in Galveston because it has some interesting history. Corpus has somewhat clearer water.

I'd probably head to Rockport or Port Aransas. South Padre Island might be a reasonable choice.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Kate

Thanks for your response, travellyn. I'd heard the water was clearer in Corpus; does that mean the beaches are also better? We tend to like vacations that are split between sight seeing and relaxation (e.g. lying on the beach.) Do you think Galveston would be a better option overall if we wanted to do both, but Corpus might be better for more relaxation?

I'll also check out Rockport and Port Aransas. Thanks for the advice.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 12:41 PM
travellyn

I have an admission to make; although I've been to Corpus numerous times to visit family, have taken evening walks along some narrow beaches, and have gone out in the bay in a boat, I've never been to a normal beach there just for swimming or sunning. I can't even tell you where the most popular Corpus beaches are.

As I recall from this past December in Corpus, there was white sand on the beach near where we took a boat trip. Galveston sand is brown, and the beach is a lot more crowded, because you get a lot of people from Houston. If I were planning to spend half the time lying on the beach, I would choose Corpus over Galveston.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:03 PM
travellyn

I felt guilty about not knowing Corpus Christi beach specifics, so I looked up a Corpus Christi website. It can do searches for hotels. It lists beaches as "amenities".

http://www.corpuschristi-tx-cvb.org/

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:47 PM
kate

Thanks for the website. You've been very helpful!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Seamus

From Austin the drive is probably shorter and easier to Corpus. Corpus beaches are nicer than Galveston, but still not exactly the Riviera. Galveston offers more in terms of off- the-beach attractions such as restaurants. To get to Galveston you'll have to contend with the absolutely horrid traffic around Houston. That right there is enough to make me choose Corpus - and you can always stop in San Antonio for a bit on the way!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Galvestonian

Hi,

As a Galvestonian for the past two years (lived in Houston before that) and as someone who just very recently made two long-weekend trips to Corpus Christi, I thought I'd add my $0.02.

To me, the clear winner is Corpus Christi. Why? I love scenery and Corpus is just so much more beautiful than Galveston. White sand vs. brown sand. Clear-blue water vs. brown water. Get the picture? The city of Galveston does not demolish buildings when they've outlived any useful purpose, and as a result there are old dilapidated buildings all over the island. The place looks trashy. The traffic you'll encounter to get here should be taken into consideration as well. Also, they are building a new bridge over I-45 at NASA Road One, although hopefully that will be finished by Memorial Day Weekend. If you want a relaxing, leisurely weekend you should go to CC. Galveston has maybe a FEW more "touristy" sites to visit and some good restaurants, but I'd still go to CC. The battleship there is a blast to tour (I say that as someone who does NOT have children.) The aquarium in CC is ok, if a bit over-priced for what it offers. Take a drive out over the causeway onto Padre Island (the north part). It loops around so you don't have to come back to CC the same way. There's a Landry's that sits out over the waterfront in CC. I didn't eat there, but it looks to have a great view. Corpus is not Hawaii, but it is way more beautiful than Galveston. If your plans don't include sitiing on the beach and you like to always be "doing something" I guess then I'd at least CONSIDER Galveston. Lots of old homes to tour (I toured Ashton Villa which was rather intersting.) There's the Strand area (lots of little shops, etc), although I can't see spending more than a couple hours over there. Skip the horrid train museum, which used to be one of my "Top 3" places to visit in Galveston. The place ran short of funds (didn't help that someone bilked them out of a bunch of money) and the place is a dive now. Moody Gardens is ok, but over-priced; I must add though that I think it's a better "value" than the aquarium in CC. Moody Gardens is comprised of an IMAX, aquarium, rainforest pyramid, and a few other things. You can take your car on a free ferry from the island over to Bolivar Peninsula and back, although I'd be reluctant to do it on a weekend when the traffic there gets really backed up. If you insist on coming to Galveston, whatever you do don't stay at the Flagship Hotel. Yes, it sits out over the water, but the place is a dive. The city owns it and has been trying to unload it forever, but nobody wants it. That should tell you something. Whatver you do, have a great time. Since it's your first time to either place, you probably can't go wrong either way. At least you'll know if Galveston or Corpus Christi would be someplace you'd like to return to. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. As I eat out all the time, I think I can provide some good restaurant recommendations if you end up making Galveston your destination.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Postal

Port Aransas is the nicest little town I've ever experienced in Texas (and Austin is the nicest big town) and the beaches are lovely.