Reload this Page >

Galveston-hotel or beach house?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 06:05 PM
Dana

Please recommend a nice place to stay, near the beach front. We have twin 5 year olds and they want to go to the beach (we live in Okla.) Would prefer a beach house, but are unsure which is the best area?

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Lei

I would choose a hotel over a beach house. Possibly the San Luis (if $$$ allows), Holiday Inn or any chain on the seawall. Both on the seawall and close to the strand and restaurants.
Choosing a beach house probably wouldn't be worth the hassle unless you plan on staying over a week. Most of the beach homes are way down the beach, like Jamacia, Crystal or more inland like Tiki Island.
If your plan on staying down here more than a week I wouldn't stay in Galveston the whole time. Gal is good for a weekend, but no more than that. Hopefully, you are planning this for next year because it's too late in the year to go swimming. Speaking of swimming, I would suggest Corpus than Gal, the water is awful.

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 01:20 AM
nearby

we live between Houston & Galveston. If you have never seen the ocean, you'll have a good time. If you have, you'll be disappointed. We drive down a couple of times a year to eat, antique & go to Moody Gardens. Maybe walk the beach on a gray, chilly day. The island's not at all what the tourism's ads show it to be & not really a good destination for little ones, although they'd love Moody Gardens with it's huge aquariums, 3-D IMAX, glass rainforest pyramid, etc.

I've lived in & around the area since 1965. Galveston is much improved but still has a long way to go. If you do go, I'd recommend the Galvez or the Victorian condos (if they still rent). If you rent a house, be sure to specify TRUE BEACHFRONT or you will find yourself on an inland canal. Spend a couple of days tops, then head for the Space Center (NASA), Houston's Museum system, the zoo, etc.

Sorry to disappoint, but honestly, Corpus or Padres would be a better choice for a plain, laid back beach vacation with kids. Padres would be my first choice. Well worth the extra drive. Galveston is fine if you don't require much & don't mind that much of the island is stuck in some strange time warp.

As an aside, for those who like crowd activities, the island's Mardi Gras (Feb) has grown tremendously & Dickens Christmas on the Strand (early Dec) might appeal.

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 07:38 AM
Salty Dog

When we lived on the Island what we enjoyed most was the lack of cookie-cutter, tourist trap stuff. there is a bot more of that now, but it is still a far cry from a Vegas environment. If you want to enjoy the beach, try for a beach house on the close in West End. Even if it is not on the first row (closest to the beach) you'll not be far from the water. And with 5 year olds you may not want a direct shot right to the water, anyway. Pirate's Beach is one example. There are others, but look at a map before signing a rental agreement to make sure it is oceanfront, not on a lagoon or canal.
BTW, Crystal beach is actually not even on the island - it is a ferry ride away, across the channel. It's OK if what you really want is just to indulge in a lazy beach lifestyle for a few days, but the kids may get bored and all in all it's pretty tacky.

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 01:39 PM
nearby

Dana, thinking beyond my first post, there was (is?) a nice little state park called Sea Rim on the highway between Bolivar & Port Arthur. If you're looking for rustic beach style, that might suit you. Haven't been in years, mostly because the road was washed out so long so you couldn't get there from Galveston without a long detour. Last time we went we took 10 east to Winnie, then south through High Island to the beach road (can't remember the number right now) & left to Sea Rim. TDPS should be able to tell you exact road conditions.

The park was small & well kept in the early 90's. There's also a little state park to the west of the city of Galveston that might make a good place to go w/ little ones. Been even longer since I've been there. Used to be you could buy a family pass (sticker for the car) for the year, good for all state parks, at a really great price.

Crystal Beach was always tacky, not surprised if it still is. There were some nice pockets of beachside homes between Crystal Beach & Sea Rim, surely some for rent.

Galveston still has lots of really slummy unsavory areas that attract not exactly the best citizens not to mention sailors looking for trouble.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 04:10 AM
Texas

If your trip's anytime soon, the bridge to Padres is closed, at least til Dec. (That tug accident.)

Also note, you sure don't want to be anywhere near any of these beaches during Spring Break.