Reload this Page >

Gals Trip to Chicago

Search

Gals Trip to Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:49 PM
ronda

Gals Trip to Chicago

Taking a trip to chicago in October. Would like suggestions on places to stay downtown in safe area. Planning on shopping, navy pier. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Only in chicago Friday to Sunday. Thanks

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:30 PM
steph

Took a girls trip in April and stayed at the Marriott downtown and felt plenty safe. With our reservation had complimentary breakfasts, and their breakfast buffet is fabulous! Sat around for an hour drinking coffee and pigging out on breakfast just because we could! (We all have 2 or more kids!) We could walk to any shopping, but you'd need to take a cab to Navy Pier.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 02:53 AM
maggi

Depending on your budget, I can recommend two hotels. On the low end, the Red Roof (formerly Motel 6) in downtown was serviceable and accessible to all the shopping. We walked to Navy Pier (about 15 minutes) and were very impressed with The West Egg nearby for breakfast. On the upper end, The Omni is on Michigan Avenue, just a few blocks away. We paid $149 at the Red Roof and $300 at the Omni (not including taxes). You can try www.hotrooms.com for better rates. For shopping, try Filene's Basement. It's next to Borders on Michigan Avenue. It's like T.J.Maxx, only on a larger scale.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:02 AM
Arabella

If your budget allows, the Hilton on Michigan Avenue is beautiful. It overlooks Grant Park and is near the art museum.

Afternoon tea at The Drake is a treat, too. The view overlooking the lake is wonderful.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 09:22 AM
thereuare

Have lunch at the Signature Room (96th Floor) of the John Hancock Building. We had lunch there and it was very laid back, and the view was FABULOUS! Also, it was very reasonable for such a nice place, $30 for the 2 of us, including tip!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 10:07 AM
kris

How about some time at a day spa? There should be several on/near Michigan Avenue. I think I saw a rave review on this board for Kiva which is near the Ritz Carlton on Pearson.

You might also check out hot tix in the Waterworks Visitor Center on Pearson (right across from Water Tower Place) if you want to see some theater, 1/2 price tickets for day of show. www.metromix.com has good info on theater (as well as dining, entertainment, etc.) if you want to book in advance.

A little more offbeat suggestion is The Baton Club on Clark St., a female impersonator nightclub. The couple of times we've been there, there have been several groups of women having a great time (usually bachelorette parties).

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 10:21 AM
Beth

Sounds like you have a great weekend planned. I suggest staying at any hotel on NORTH Michigan (do not stay at the Hilton on SOUTH Mich. overlooking Grant Park, nice hotel, but miles from the shopping district) The Westin is nice as is the Intercontinetal and of course the Four Seasons which is VERY expensive. embassy Suites a couple of blocks of mag mile as well as Lennox suites are nice and moderately priced. I also like the Renaissance on Wacker between mag mile shopping and state street shopping (state street has Filene's basement, big original Marshall Fields, flagship Old Navy etc.) For a funky hotel, I like the House of Blues Hotel on Dearborn a few blocks away, each room is decorated different with trendy furnishings (about $150/night). I second the afternoon tea at the Drake which is wonderful, for a good day spa try Channings on Oak Street just off Michigan, very relaxing or Mario Tricocci in Watertower Place. For an evening of casual fun eat at Red Fish in River North area, New Orleans style dining, jazz music in bar after 10p.m. You might try getting tickets to a taping of the Oprah show as well, she passes out great take home gifts. Have fun.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 11:16 AM
LindaCal

Was in Chicago over Memorial Day weekend. Stayed at the Best Western Inn of Chicago booked through Hot Rooms for an average of $113 per night. Just your basic room, but in a great location, right off Michigan Ave.(one very short block). Near shopping, buses, about 3 blocks to the river (boat tours) and within walking distance (about 7-8 min.) of the Navy Pier if the free trolleys aren't running anymore. Check this web site for up-to-date info.
http://www.ci.chi.il.us/Tourism/
It's a great city with lots to see and do. Have a good time!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 11:33 AM
A

I have stayed at the Westin River North, Westin Mich Ave, Marriott Mich Ave and Courtyard. All are nice, convienient to shopping and restaurants, and safe. The Westin River North is my favorite of the 4 (a few blocks from Michigan Ave but a little nicer than the others).
Not sure what generation you are in, but "Polly Esters" is a great place to go dancing. One floor plays 70s music and another plays 80s.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 11:43 AM
holly

Ronda -

Some advice on Navy Pier. If you're planning on going there for shopping, I'd skip it altogether. Nothing but junky trinkets. There are some restaurants there - Riva is good. I live here and basically use Navy Pier for 3 purposes - as a concert venue, weekly fireworks shows in the summer, and a clean bathroom when I'm doing long runs of the lakefront path. You'll find much better shopping on Michigan Ave. and in Lincoln Park.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 11:44 AM
A.M.

I have stayed and would recommend The Omni Suites on Michigan (where Oprah keeps her guests).
I do love gals trips, have fun.
A.M.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 11:45 AM
holly

Ronda -

One more thing. The Chicago Marathon is Oct 7. It's a great event but book your rooms soon if you'll be here that weekend.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 12:27 PM
marilyn

Not sure if it will still be playing, but "Hamlet:The Musical," at the small upstairs theater above Chicago Shakespeare Theater on Navy Pier, is hilarious, and totally without redeeming social value. The view from the restrooms and then from the lobby after dark is STUNNING: the illuminated ferris wheel on the pier, the cityscape, boats etc., all RIGHT there.

The pier is, as someone else said, not worh it for shopping, dining is hit and miss there, but fireworks and views are nice in the summer.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 02:40 PM
Squidgie

Try very, very hard to see either Blue Man Group or The Vagina Monologues (both have web sites). BMG has a 10 pm show, making it easy to squeeze other things into your evening as well.

You will fall on your knees and thank me for either one!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 05:08 PM
Kevin

I'm glad to see someone else offer an honest opinion of the limited potential of Navy Pier as a tourist stop. I just don't see why anyone recommends it.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:02 PM
Jennifer

Just a warning: dont waste your money on the Vagina Monologues and PolyEsthers is closed.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:06 PM
Roscoe

We stayed at The House of Blues really good value and great staff - terribly helpful good bathrooms hairdriers etc - see www.hotrooms.com as they will tell you of conventions and special deals also if you are going to do the museums it is worth it to do a Citypass available at the major museums- we got ours at The Art Institute also a CAF tour of the city - Fab.A good place for the girls to go for dinner Ben Pao buzzy,good bar not heavy.Loads of great places within walking distance of the hotel.Also a good brunch with live music on Sundays.We felt really safe and we would go there again.Have fun and hope this helps.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:17 PM
Cristi

I went to Chicago last september with "the girls". We had a blast! Stayed at the Seneca right around the corner from Water Tower Place and the Drake. Great location. This seems to be a former resident building. Apartment like rooms with full kitchen, to bring back your leftovers or the pastry and wine from the bakery, large living area. I like the location and the price. It was clean and the staff very nice. You would be 2 blocks from Rush and close walk to ALL the shopping on Mich. Ave. Go to their site and check it out. Go to Roses in little italy and have the riggatoni ala vodka. The Best! Put your name in then go to the local wine bar to enjoy a flight while waiting for a table. If you like unique accesories for the home go to Material Possesions on Rush and State. Stroll Rushes may sidewalk cafes and out side bars and enjoy! Take a cab to Websters wine bar, sit out side, then start walking back and enjoy all the nieghborhoods with their cafes and locals walking the dogs. We stopped many places for wine and appetizers and grabbed a cab when we couldn't eat or drink any more. Nice area and safe to walk at night. Have fun. Skip Navy Pier.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:17 AM
Pat

Ronda:
Holly, Marilyn, Kevin & Cristi are absolutely right - SKIP NAVY PIER. I am a Chicago native & have never gotten over how that area COULD have been so cool - but it is just tourist crap. Take one of the many Lake Michigan boat tours in the evening for a fabulous view of the skyline; especially in October - the sky is (almost always) so crisp/clear.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:58 AM
Samantha

Hi Ronda,

Some fun things hubby and I used to do when we lived in the Chicago area:

Go up to the top of the Sears Tower (he preferred daytime view; I loved it at night)

Walk around Grant Park; Buckingham Fountain

Shopping along Michigan Avenue (sounds like you've got that covered)

Boat ride as above poster suggested

Of course there are always the standards, such as the Shedd aquarium, the planatarium (great spot to take pictures of the skyline), the museums, Lincoln Park zoo, etc.

It's a shame you and your friends won't be there longer. Chicago is a great city and I miss it a lot. Enjoy your time there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -