Furniture. High Point vs. Hickory vs. Others

Old Nov 6th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Furniture. High Point vs. Hickory vs. Others

Greetings.

A few questions. I once read on a post on Fodors (but I can't find it anymore) a suggestion on a great book that highlights some of the "best practices" for North Carolina furniture shopping. Anybody know what this is?

Also...We're looking for Tuscan-style furniture. We want very high quality, but do not care a lot about a particular name brand. Are there any particular suggestions for Hickory vs. High Point vs. other areas for what we're looking for, as well as particular stores? Also, are there any tips on how to prepare without sleuthing in retail outlets? Thanks again!!!
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 03:14 PM

High Point in April or October after Furniture Market will yield the best buys.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 04:46 PM

I believe Thomasville introduced an Under the Tuscan Sun line of furniture about a year ago. They have most of their plants near High Point and I will add my vote to Diana's that High Point the week after Market yields very good buys. If you can score a pass to Market on the last couple of days, many manufacturers will sell direct to you provided you can carry out the merchandise.
There are two giant stores which you can visit anytime, Rose Furniture and Furniture Land South. They offer very good prices (even if not during Market).
If you do go to Market have some idea of which merchandisers you want to visit...the thing is huge!