Search

Funky Hotel Stories

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 05:36 AM
T.M.

Funky Hotel Stories

I think we've shared many "awful" stories on this forum. From bathrooms to restaurants to airplanes to B&Bs, many have contributed. By the way, my favorite B&B story features the couple stuck in the attic with the "Frampton Comes Alive" poster.

What hotel horror stories do you have? Or funny experiences? I can remember my parents telling me about their hotel stay in Phoenix, Arizona. They knew nothing about it. While it had been quite a place "in its day", the hotel was on a downward spiral. The maids didn't even leave glasses in the bathroom. My mother still laughs about how she kept a Wendy's paper cup next to the sink all week for when she brushed her teeth.

And not, I am not a troll or writing an article! I just need a laugh...

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Debbie

About 4 years ago, my husband went to Hawaii for a business meeting. The meeting was to be held at the Ritz, but we were put up at a hotel down the road.It looked really nice from the road, but when we were shown to our room, I freaked when I opened a drawer to put away clothes and saw several huge roach motels. Also, the bed was the type that pulled down from the wall. We stayed about 2 seconds longer and got back in the car and drove to the Ritz where I begged for a room in an oversold hotel. P. s. -we got it!The rest of the trip was great.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 05:46 AM
M.T.

T.M. THAT'S your horror/funny story?? Your mother had to keep a paper cup in the bathroom? As Cartman on "Southpark" would say: "weak."

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 05:58 AM
T.M.

Well, M.T., why don't you share one of your HILARIOUS stories?

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 06:13 AM
philip

About 20 years ago, my older brother took the liberty of arranging a hotel for my parents and I when we visited him in Laguna Beach, California.

He choose a hotel that he had stayed at several years earlier as it had reasonable rates.

Because he didn't stop by when it booked it, he didn't realize that it had changed ownership and had gone from nice family appropriate cottages to a place for migrant workers and those seeking "1 hour" rates.

My mother & father didn't want to hurt his feelings so we spent the night in a room with holes in several walls, cigarette burns on all the linens, and towels that had not been washed in some time. I'm sure the fear of bugs kept us awake.

Mercifully, my brother found another hotel the next day.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 06:15 AM
M.T.

T.M.: Because I don't have one & obviously, neither do you. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there will be some terrific horror stories and side-splittingly funny ones. You just should have stopped after your first paragraph......come on, admit it, having to use a paper cup vs a glass one, just doesn't cut it in either of your catagories.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 06:28 AM
T.M.

M.T., you remind me of the kid who sat in the back of class who said rude things and then had nothing meaningful of his own to contribute when challenged.

The humor of the story (I'll admit is does not belong in the comedy hall of fame) is that this particular hotel had been touted as being a great place. It clearly wasn't any longer. Gina Lolabrigida was entertaining in the lobby lounge, for one.

I guess it was amusing to the family because the maids left my mother's cup alone when cleaning the room but threw out any other trash. I guess they knew she was going to need it.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 08:42 AM
mike

I don't have a story, but my favorite on comes from a DA friend of mine who was involved when Mike Tyson got arrested for rape.

The DA's office confiscated the bedspread in the victim's room and had it examined for "evidence" -- namely, semen.

Imagine their excitement when the report came back that indeed there was semen on the bedspread, several samples. Except none belonged to Tyson and all of them were very old. (Remember, this was no flop house; it was the sight of the Miss Teen America pageant.)

Think about that the next time you flop onto a hotel bed.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 08:48 AM
danna

Now, that's a travel tip!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 09:30 AM
x

Traveling with a co-worker and staying in the same room to save expenses.

Motel in New Jersey somewhere. Made reservation sight unseen because of proximity to client.

Bullet-proof enclosure covering front desk.

Rates posted by the hour.

Vending machines in lobby with all manner of personal hygeine items and a little bit of food.

Don't remember much about the room.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 09:48 AM
traveller

Not an American Hotel but a Canadian one but still gets lots of mileage in the telling.

Some years ago we headed to Drumheller, AB for a "biker's" camping weekend. We thought we would stay in Strathmore and made no reservations. When we arrived there we discovered it was Stampede week in Calgary - no rooms. So we decided to travel on to Drumheller. Same thing when we arrived there.

From there, we travelled to Rosedale outside of Drumheller. Here we were "fortunate" enough to find the Rosedale Hotel. Great old time bar with some rooms overhead.

Having no other option, we asked if we could book the rooms. NP, at $30/person. We were grateful for a roof over our heads, didn't even look at the rooms, just said yes and proceeded to the pub for a few brews.

About an hour later, we decided to check in. Rooms were interesting at best. No windows, glass knocked out. Single beds in each room, no bath, just a communal bath, no bedding.

So we complained, natch. We recieved a garbage bag stapled over the windows, sleeping bags for bedding.

Well, make the best of it right? We slept in close proximaty to our mates that night but the most fun was the fight in the street below. We actually had to rip the garbage bags off the windows to watch.

What fun that weekend was.

Goes to show, you can have fun anywhere, despite circumstances. We have had more chuckles over that weekend than most.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:06 AM
noname

i have 2 stories:
once I went on a business trip to a city that my company did not normally do business in, so there were no frequently used company hotels there. I would be arriving late at night and leaving the next morning so I didn't care that much about the ambiance, etc. We found that a number of hotels in the city were very expensive - no deals that day - but 1 of them was half the cost, a Holiday inn express, so I took it. I came in about a 11:30 pm, there were somewhat shady characters in a lobby thathad seen better days. I went up to my room, the toilet did not work. They gave me another room which seemed fine. Then I noticed the numerous security warnings on the bed about not letting people into the room without calling downstairs first to verify they were hotel employees, security warnings about the area, etc. Then the constant screaming, ranting, ravings, ambulance & police sirens started outside. All night long. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep that night. I called the travel agency when I got back to complain about the hotel. They responded that they would add it to their "Bates Motel" list and not send other travellers there.

2nd story: My aunt and uncle had just purchased a small, modest hotel in Hollywood many years ago (30+yrs). Although they were somewhat involved in running it, they had managers there for the daily interactions. They found that one of the managers was renting rooms 'by the hour' probably for kick backs and had even installed some 'peepholes'. Needless to say, he was promptly fired and they managed it for awhile until they could find a reputable replacement. They were also in the midst of sprucing up the place. One day my middle aged aunt was planting flowers out front, when she was approached by a pimp. He told her that this hotel was his territory and he could put her to work making a lot more money than working as a gardener. Although she was alarmed, realizing that they had a lot more problems with the clientele of this hotel than they had originally realized, she was also amused that the pimp offered her - a little middle aged lady in her gardening clothes - a job!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 03:54 PM
ttt

to the top