Funky Beach Location?

Search

Funky Beach Location?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2003, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funky Beach Location?

Does anyone know of a place on the shore, an island perhaps, that is not plastic and built up, but has lovely natural areas and beaches around it. Accommodations not too fancy or expensive, but friendly atmosphere. The kind of place in Asia one calls a "backpackers paradise."
W.P.Rock
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 04:56 AM

Akumal or Isla Mujeres, Mexico.
Look at locogringo.com.
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.
Look at debbiesdominicantravel.com.

Unfortunately, not many places that you are describing exist within the US.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 09:48 AM

Punta Cana? A place that has a website dediated to discussing AI buffet selection? Hardly!
Escpecially hard to come by in the U.S. I think of the beach regions I grew up around (the gulf coast), and there was always this downtrodden, funky/trashy just plain weird quality about Gulf Coast towns--lots of bizarre characters ands a general easygoing but slightly sleazy vibe--especially along the redneck riveiera before it got built up with condos, and still hanging on (barely) along parts of the Texas coast in places like Port Aransas in off season. The beaches are not really good, but great fun if you're into the other "natual" things like birding and fishing. Of course now like so many others I'm spoiled on white sand beaches and travel brochure water and spend more time in the Caribbean than on the beach 2 hours from my house, but I sure miss building the huge bonfire on the beach, fishing off the rickety, piers, watching the dogs chase the sand crabs around, everything in town smelling like bait...
The condo growth was bad enough, now the latest thing is this Seaside-esque planned commuities phenomena. It's spread all the way down to south texas now.

Old Feb 24th, 2003, 10:01 AM

Sorry folks just a little Monday morning melancholy for ya! I got to thinking about it, how time and money change everything. One of the little towns we used to visit to go crabbing under the bridges as kids is now an amusement park/restaurant "destination". You have your chpice of a half dozen restaurants and adjoining gift shops, all owned by the same man. Used to be there were a couple of stinky fish shops and a stinky bar, the only neon was the busty cartoon gal in the martini glass hanging outside the bar. (Of course on the downside were the many unfortunate episodes bewteen the local shrimpers and the newly arrvied Vietnamese fishermen, but haven't I already digressed ebough?

Anyway thanks for indulging me--just a little wistful for the days when coastal living was not branded and co-opted by Joe's Crab Shack.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 10:31 AM
JVS

I am not sure where, geographically, you are intereseted, but there is a stretch of ocean front North of Santa Cruz that I found minimal and refreshiong. There is a little unincorporated town ("Friendship" I think the name is) that basically consists of a general store and a restaurant and an Inn. There are clothing optional beaches around there (readesolate). There is also a place called Coastinoa. It is a "resort" of yurts and tents. I dont know if this is what you are looking for but I found it natural and tranquil
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 03:06 AM

Sebastian Inlet/Floridana Beach area, north of Vero Beach, Florida. So many turtles nest there that they don't even bother to mark the nests. Surfer ambience, peppered with friendly mom-and-pop type motels. The beach is beautiful there.

Sakath: I hear ya! Funny how we pine for the stuff we thought we hated in our youth...
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 05:26 AM

I second Joan's recommendation. The Sebastian Inlet area is liking stepping back into the '50s and '60s. Back when the family used to load up into the ole station wagon and head to the beach to stay in a two-story motel which was usually painted some pastel color and usually had in its name either Sea or Shell.
It's also a great (for Florida) surfing spot. So, you have the "surfer dude" attitude there, as well.
Next to the Keys, it's my favorite Fla destination.