Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fun quick first-time visit to Minneapolis - also, do you like the Disney Soaring ride

Search

Fun quick first-time visit to Minneapolis - also, do you like the Disney Soaring ride

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2022, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reporting here on our quick weekend visit to Minneapolis, in thanks to Fodors people who gave me good advice and to add our experiences for future Fodors looking for info.

Due to a flight delay we didn't arrive until after midnight on Friday and we left Sunday morning but were able to enjoy the city in the short time we had. It's a nice place, with very friendly people.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites downtown, which provided VERY close walking distance access to the train/tram and was a good suggestion (thanks!). Saturday morning we rode the train to the Mall of America (quick note about the ride; due to track maintenance the train stops short of the Mall stop and riders board a free bus to the Mall stop, and you reverse the process on the return trip). I do not seek out malls while traveling unless there's something I'm looking for, and was not planning to go to this one, but in researching it learned it is not just a shopping mall, it has RIDES as well and one of the rides is comparable to the Disney ride "Soarin'." I find that sort of virtual-reality ride great fun, so off to the Mall of America we went!

The ride is called "FlyOver America" and there's a companion one about Hawaii. I bought the "dual" ride tickets and we were even able to remain in our same seat for both rides, so no waiting in line other than to get on the first ride.

When we returned to downtown Minneapolis on the train we walked to the Mary Tyler Moore statue and then that evening we attended the Twins baseball game against the Cleveland Guardians. Target Field, the baseball stadium, is easy walking distance from the Embassy Suites hotel. It is a well-designed baseball venue and was a lovely evening.

Sunday morning we took the train again, directly to the airport and flew home. It was a great quick visit to Minneapolis.
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the trip report and sharing your experience with the tram. Â Minneapolis is a city I’d like to visit.