Please help with Coronado visit

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband has business in Coronado, Ca in late June and I am tagging along for the 2+ weeks. They have put us up in the Coronado Inn. Have any of you tried this one? I know it is nowhere near the beach.
As I don't drive, will there be much I can do during the days? I'm not a lay on the beach kind of person. I saw there is a golf course, and I was thinking of renting or buying a bicycle there. We'll do San Diego tourist things by car on the weekends, so I'm just looking to amuse myself during the days. Any ideas?
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:05 AM

We've stayed at this place several times in the last two years. It is a little 1950s type stucco motel. Some of the units have a living room, one bedroom and kitchen, others are just hotel rooms. We found it to be very clean. Nothing fancy, but very pleasant. There's a small pool and they serve free pastries and juice in the morning.

Definitely ask for a room that does NOT back up to Third Street. this is the main access street from the bridge to North Island Naval base. The morning rush hour starts very early can get noisy. The interior units and the ones on the alley are very quiet.

The location is not bad. You are on the main street and Coronado is so small that you can walk from here to the "downtown" area or the beach in about 10 minutes.

Getting a bike would be a great idea. The town is a bicyclist's paradise. You can spend hours just cruising, looking at the cute houses and gardens in cornado or go for a long ride down the strand to the south.

Make sure you take the bike path that starts by the golf course and goes along the bay and underneath the bridge. (My mother was the one who got the path built!!) It ends up by a bunch of nice restaraunts and small (touristy)shops at the foot of Orange Avenue.

From that same area, you can take your bike onto the foot ferry and go over to the San Diego Side. From there you could head over toward the airport, Shelter Island, Point Loma, Ocean Beach or Mission Bay on your bike.

You can also take your bike across the bridge on the bus. I wouldn't advise getting off right after the bridge (it's a rough part of town), but from Downtown to Balboa Park or North Park would be a nice ride (although uphill) with fun places to explore.

The Coronado Golf course is nice. I'm not a golfer, but all the men in our family love to play there when in town. The clubhouse food there is not bad.

By June, they should be having the free concerts in the park (across from the library) on Sunday evenings. Walk up and bring a picnic dinner.

Will you be there on the Fourth of July? If so, you are in for a treat. Your hotel is right on the parade route, so you can just sit out in front! That evening, walk to the golf course to watch the fireworks.

Have fun!
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Dear Lcuy-
Thanks so much for your reply. I'm a lot more excited now about the trip. I was even able to call and get a room with kitchen, which will suit us even better.

Any ideas on where to get my bike? I may buy one, or just rent.
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:51 AM

Lived there '75 - '80, and spent many vacations for weeks and months at a time in the 80's and 90's in La Jolla home rentals.
We spent last week there and were disappointed: Most of the residential areas are well maintained, but the overwhelming tourist atmosphere is really tacky downtown.
I would rent a car - we got a Ford Focus for $13. a day from PAYLESS on Laurel just a couple of min from the A/P.
The SD Zoo and Wild Animal Park are still great, but the trip to Rosarito was disappointing.
Agree with lcuy, Shelter Island is pretty calm for bikers.
M

Old May 30th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

We'll be provided a car, and will use it on weekends/nights. I don't drive though, so will be biking or bussing during the work day!

Sorry to hear downtown has gotten real touristy. It always is sad for locals when that happens. Of course, I'll be a tourist, so guess it'll be good for me!
Old May 30th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Hollands Bike Shop rents and sells bikes in Coronado. they're up on 10th and Orange. There are lots of other bike shops or even Toys R Us across the bridge. Their bikes would probably be cheaper if purchasing.

Check the local paper that comes out on wednesdays, too. They always list bikes, and garage sales (thursdays and Saturdays) are plentiful. Maybe you can get a used one!