Bike Paths in Pacific Beach/La Jolla

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be staying in a house on Tourmaline near La Jolla Blvd this weekend and was wondering if there are any easily accessible bike paths nearby that are separate from motorized traffic. I will only have a small car, so I won't be able to transport the bike to another area.
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 07:17 AM
J62

South of Tourmaline by about 10 blocks the bike/walking paths along the ocean begins, and there is a path around Mission Bay as well. Those would be ok for a cruiser bike but not for anything over about 10mph.

If you are looking for more serious road bike riding, the stretch of the coast highway north of La Jolla, up past UCSD and Torry Pines, and all the way to Carlsbad is relatively bike friendly and a great ride, up to 30+ mi each way if you're looking for that distance. You will find lots of roadies up there.

go on google maps and enable the bike path feature and you can see details on bike/walking trails, roads with dedicated bike lanes (light green lines), and bike friendly roads (dashed green lines).

A local bike shop in the area can also point out good riding routes for you.
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 07:36 AM

I have to find it - but there is also a path from Baja La Jolla/North PB (Tourmaline area) to La Jolla - just a little to the east side of LJ Blvd. You can also ride the side streets around there without too much concern for speedy cars.

Here is it - Fay Ave trail:
http://www.traillink.com/trail/fay-a...bike-path.aspx

And if you get down to Mission Beach - you can also take the path inland - along the river - or cross over the bridge into Ocean Beach and ride around there.

If you are in good shape - you can also ride up one of the streets in Pt. Loma (usually fairly safe as they watch for cyclists) - and on out to Cabrillo Point.

For more info - see: http://www.traillink.com/trail/fay-a...bike-path.aspx

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2...oma-bike-ride/

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...an+Diego%2C+CA
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm not a regular cyclist, so I'll be going the leisurely route!
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 03:10 PM

tomsd, that is my daughter's favorite bike path. however, it is very difficult to find if you don't know EXACTLY what you are looking for.

if you go to the fire station on Nautilus Street across from La Jolla High School and enter what seems like a deserted trail or foot path you can begin there and follow it for a mile or more. it is well worth it.
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 04:53 PM

Thanks Nana. A friend of mine was leading the times we rode it - so good info for the visitor and also - next time we are out there.

And you are entering from the La Jolla/north side righto? Do you know about catching it on the other end/south - down by PB?
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 04:55 PM

Ahh - here it is from the website:

Camino de la Costa & La Jolla Hermosa (Upper Hermosa) and a bit of the verbal:

The trail, which runs along the former San Diego, Pacific Beach and La Jolla Railroad line, is mainly paved with asphalt, but toward the end it turns into a dirt path. If you're careful, you can still negotiate the entire route on a road bike if the surface is dry. The trail officially ends at La Jolla Hermosa Avenue but continues as an on-street bike path that connects to other bike facilities. While the Fay Avenue Bike Path is short, it provides a rich experience of breathtaking views, ocean air and eye-pleasing landscaping, making it well worth a visit.
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 05:58 PM

Yes, tom, we live in south Bird Rock so we also enter the path from going notrth on La Jolla Blvd (from Tourmaline St.) then turn right onto La Cañada, then turn left onto a path BETWEEN La Jolla Hermosa and Beaumont Avenues.

It's tucked away and generally only the locals know about it and can easily find it. It runs for a mile to where it ends at Nautilus Street.

It is a very special place to bike. It's like being in the country in the middle of the city. And the ocean views are lovely as well.