Fun and Frolic with US Airways

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This question spans Europe and the US because it involves trans Atlantic flights, but most of the problems were in the US, although by no means exclusively. I am curious in knowing if US Airways reserves its premier treatment for me, or if others have had their share of problems as well.

This past trip to Europe was full of missed flights, late flights, and cancelled flights.
I got a bellyfull both coming and going.
Here are the details.

I was originally booked to fly from Athens, Ga, to Charlotte, to Gatwick, to Dublin, Ireland. Our first flight from Athens was so late in arriving in Charlotte that we missed our flight to Gatwick and, of course, our subsequent flight to Dublin. After spending the night in Charlotte, we were rerouted to Philadelphia for a direct flight to Dublin.
We arrived only to experience a flight that was 4 hours late in leaving on a substitute aircraft. After running around the Philadelphia airport because of 3 gate changes we finally backed away from the gate 3 minutes before the flight crew became illegal. Then, about a hour's flying time off of the Irish coast, the pilot announced that there was a fire in the forward cargo hold. I caught a glimpse into the cockpit and it was full of smoke, so there was a fire all right. It was not a malfunctioning warning light. The pilot took the plane down to 10,000 feet so he could ventilatethe smoke. Fortunately, before we landed at Shannon, rather than Dublin, the fire was reported to be out. After landing, the fire brigade inspected the aircraft and allowed it to taxi to a gate so we could get off normally. Nobody had to go down a slide.
Finally, after a wait that seemed to take forever, we were loaded onto a fleet of buses and driven for 4 hours plus to the Dublin airport. In all, we were 12 hours late in arriving. As the old saying goes, better late than never, because many of thought that never was a distinct possibility.

Coming back to the USA, I changed my return date because of an injury. To affect the change, I called the center in Europe for English speakers. Somehow, the ticket agent I spoke with managed to screw up my return ticket from Munich to Philadelpia. Somehow we got back to Philadelphia without more mishaps, but when I got to Charlotte for the last leg of my journey home, my flight to Athens (and home) had been cancelled. Having no choice, I again spent the night at Charlotte. When I turned up at the airport the following morning, the flight to Athens was again cancelled. The airline then flew us to Atlanta, some 85 miles from Athens, where a van suitable for 6 passengers ferried 7 of us, several of which were of the overstuffed variety to Athens.
So in time span of 2 trips I experienced:
2 late flights
2 missed flights
1 flight that was forced down because of a major problem
1 screwed up ticket reservation
2 cancelled flights
1 ride in a sardine can

I am sure somebody can top that story of mine, because I began to figure out that I was not an exceptional case.

At least I did find out the value of being scared half to death on an airplane. It is worth $300. That is the value of a ticket discount voucher Us Airways sent me for my anguish suffered on the flight that landed at Shannon instead of Dublin.

I could not help but think of my acquaintance Clayton whom I met during my tour of Ireland. He told the story of being trapped in a traffic roundabout in England with his niece driving. They were in traffic so long, and he was so scared, that he lost 150 pounds. Finally, after going around and around interminably, he called the rescue squad on his cell phone and told them that there had been a death in a roundabout: his. He was scared to death. The ambulance came, that stopped traffic, and his niece was able to follow the ambulance out of the circle when it hauled him off.

(Don't press me for details; it is Clayton's story - not mine.)
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Dan

I just flew USAirways from New Orleans to London via Philly. On time both ways and "Envoy Class" (business class) was wonderful. I would definitely use US again and I found the service far superior to that of American or Continental, my other two top choices to Europe.

On any airline, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 07:08 AM
GoTravel

$h*t happens and when traveling these days, especially internationally, be prepared for the worst.

Sounds like you just have bad kharma with USAirways.

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 08:28 AM

I like US Airways and when possible will always choose it over the others. Never had a problem with them. Can't say the same thing for every other airline. Especially one in particular which I will not name.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 08:48 AM

On a US Air scheduled flight from Atlanta to Charlotte to Gatwick a few years ago, just as I was about to board the Atlanta - Charlotte leg, the gate attendent pulled me and one other passenger aside and told us that the Charlotte - Gatwick leg had been cancelled. US Air put us on a DIRECT Delta flight from Atlanta to Gatwick. I left Atlanta 2 hours later, but arrived in London 1 hour earlier than originally scheduled. On the return, however, I arrived at Gatwick three hours before my scheduled US Air flight from Gatwick to Philadelphia to Atlanta was to depart only to be told by counter agent that the flight was going to be delayed up to 6 hours. It was. After finally leaving Gatwick, as we approached Philadelphia, the flight attendants contacted each passenger that had missed a connection and told them of their new connections. I was put on a flight that had no seats left in steerage, er, coach, so they put me in first class. I like First Class

Arrived back in Atlanta about 5 hours late.

Keith
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 08:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bob _brown, I've had no problems with US Airways but generally find that flights from non hub cities and flights with multiple connections are invitations for screw ups. Sounds like you had more than your fair share and am certainly glad to hear the fire was contained. That must have been terrifying.
That said, your description of events, particularly Clayton's story, was very entertaining to read!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 09:06 AM
GoTravel

Out of curiosity, did this flight take place in the summer? Afternoon thunderstorms from Atlanta to Charlotte throw flight schedules out of whack.

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 11:05 AM

I have had nothing but good experiences with US Airways to date. It is always possible for things to go bad and often it is not the airline's fault but due to weather. Sorry you had bad time.