Reload this Page >

Full itinerary in NYC-need advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2001, 07:15 AM
Rosie

We're getting ready for our visit to NYC next (Thurs-Sun). It's hubby's first time so our itinerary of what we want to do looks insane. I could use some help here:
1.First day we'll hang out in midtown (staying at the Roosevelt 45th & Madison). See Grand Central, Rockefeller Center, Radio City, late lunch (Carnegie Deli?), shopping, then The Producers that evening with post-theatre dining.
2. Day 2 - Downtown Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island (is it worth climbing th Statue or should we save our time for Ellis Island? Really interested in Immigrant Museum). Then to WTC, Southside Seaport, back uptown. Visit the Met for a few hours early evening-we like evryone else want to see the Kennedy exhibit, dinner back downtown - poor planning- but we got reservations for Nobu.
Day 3 - Soho, Village, Little Itlay, etc. shopping. Empire State Bldg for sunset before dinner, then back uptown - how are the carriage rides in the evening in Central Park? Is it fairly safe around midnite?
Day 4 - Short day so a morning mass at St. Patricks 8:00 AM then to Central Park. Back to airport at 2PM.
Are we killing ourselves? Anything to eliminate or that we missed for a first timer. I also have no idea how long it takes for travel times and we plan to do subways during the day and cabs at night. Thanks for all of the help on this board!!!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 07:32 AM
Elaine

Rosie,
Yes you are killing yourself but everyone does when they visit NY for the first time. I grew up here and lived in Manhattan for 10 years (just got married and moved to NJ). Anyway if you like Spanish/seafood I have a great place to go. Francisco's Centro Vasco 159 W 23rd Street 212.645.6224. I usually get a huge lobster tail for about $30 and it comes with potatoe and vegi and the sangria is too die for. On the weekend they open up at 2:00pm and are usually not crowded until 6:00pm. I have brought friends in around 2-3 and we have the place to ourselves (much better than doing the Carnegie Deli). In doing the Statue of Liberty I would skip climbing (takes alot of time) and if you are not there early to get the boat there is usually not enough time to do the whole trip anyway. I am at work but I will go through your itinerary in more detail tonight when I get home.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 07:49 AM
Mike

Your schedule looks great and I must say that Nobu is absolutely fabulous! Cabs can be a pain, in some places they're just tough to get depending on the time. The subways have been getting safer and safer and on weekends are crowded even up until 2AM at the big stations.

I like Carnegie Deli and think it's great for tourists to get a decent and humongous Reuben. I agree about the Statue of Liberty. It used to be cool when they'd let you on the torch but I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 07:54 AM
advice

Great plan. Not too much to do. I prefer packed in trips myself.

Re Statue: You probably won't be able to climb up unless you are on one of the first ferries. Anyway, if you do climb, it will take hours and is not worth it, IMHO. Especially if the museum is your main purpose.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 08:16 AM
Howard

In general, it's a good itinerary. A few observations:
Day 1: Stick with the Carnegie Deli. I've nothing against Francesco's, but it's not close to where you'll be.
Day 2: Skip the walk to the top of the Statue of Liberty. With your busy schedule, I'm not sure how much time you'll have for the Met, nor if the lines will be short for the Jacqueline Kennedy exhibit at that hour. (Have you thought about going there Sunday morning after 8 a.m. Mass? The Met opens at 9:30 and the line will not be too long at the hour.)
Day 3: You should be safe with the carriage ride in Central Park. Rely on the driver's advice. (Hey, he wants to be safe, too!)

Old May 24th, 2001, 10:42 AM
Gary T

Rosie- They closed the Statue climb for repairs recently, but you can get into the base...do that. Ellis island will be worth the trip. Also be prepared for a 1-2 hour wait on line at the Carnegie Deli... it's worth it to say you ate there. have fun.

Old May 24th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Rosie

Thanks for all of the feedback. I've eaten at the Carnegie before and don't really want to spend time waiting on line to eat a deli sandwich (albeit a delicious one). The charm of Carnegie may be lost on gentile husband. What about Katz's Deli on Friday when we are downtown doing the Statue thing?

Old May 24th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Caitlin

Rosie, I was at the Met on Friday afternoon/evening two weeks ago, and in the late afternoon, the line for the Kennedy exhibit was not too long. This is probably the best time for you to fit it in. Katz's is on the lower east side and statue/WTC/South St. Seaport are on the west side. If ypu're having a late lunch/midafternoon meal, Carnegie shouldn't be too bad. Or you could do it for dinner post-theater, as they're open late. You should be fine for your carriage ride; you'll be safe while on it, and on 59th St, not in the park, when you get on and off. We walk home fropm theater, etc. late at night all the time and feel fine.

Old May 24th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Howard

Rosie, you will NOT have to wait long, if at all, for a table at Carnegie Deli mid-afternoon.

Old May 24th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Donna

Sounds fine to me. We usually get in much more than we anticipate. As for top of SOL, we didn't think it was worth it. The views are nice, but not really worth the wait and crush of the crowds to us. Dusk is a better time for a carriage ride in Central Park. Not too much to see once it gets dark. At dusk, the lighting is beautiful, and the ride back in the dark is romantic.

Old May 24th, 2001, 05:57 PM
rqf

You could do a lot more on day 1.Including walking you are looking at 3 hours or less and that would include a tour of Radio City Music Hall if that is your intent. After RAdio City go back to 5th Avenue and walk up to Central Park. Check out the Atrium stores in Trump Tower. Also walk into FAO Schwarz. Walk west in Central park and exit onto 7th Avenue and walk down to the Carnegie 55th St.
Day 2 - will be a full day. Follow the order as outlined in your note.
Day 3 - Start day in Little Italy. Might also throw in Chinatown since it is on south side of Canal. LIttle Italy is on north side of Canal.From there you can go to SOHO and then Greenwich Village followed by Empire State. Sunset isn't until 8:15 or so you wouldn't want to get to the Empire State too early.
Day 1 - walk. Distance if you go up to Central Park and from Carnegie back to hotel is about 2 1/2 miles. Day 2 - walking to those places you outlined is around 2 miles plus. DAy 3 - from Little Italy to Empire State through SOHO and the Village is less than 3 miles.

Old May 25th, 2001, 08:19 PM
Carol

Rosie,
Please let me know how your trip went. We will be going in June.
We will have 2 elementary aged children with us.

Old May 26th, 2001, 06:01 AM
Dave

Lower East Side Tenement (Immigrant) Museum is worth the time.

Old May 28th, 2001, 11:02 AM
ling

we did similar last year - would suggest starting your walk to take in grand central at around 10 and then go back again and watch from the balcony at 5 - it's wild. after the producers go back and see the prometheus after dark, again its fabulous. try to fit in the lower east side on sunday morning - it is great fun. also, walk down to soho etc and go through union square (market) and washington sq. a great book for this trip is 10 (or 12?) Memorable Walks in NY by either Fodors or Frommers.

Old May 28th, 2001, 03:17 PM
rosie

We won't be arriving until 12 noon on Thursday, so it's really only a half-day. But i love the idea of Grand Central during rush hour. Would I have time to do the tenement museum on Friday considering we will be doin the SOL/Ellis Island, WTC thing? I know the history of the lower east side must be phenomenal, especially with my Eastern European ancestry and my husbands Irish background. I think we're already planning out trip back!

Old May 28th, 2001, 07:13 PM
toby

the second avenue deli is better than the carnegie and is a lot closer to the tenement museum.