Ft Worth Stock show & rodeo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering if anyone who has attended has any input on this event? We are looking for a winter vacation to do something different.

We are horse lovers and thought this might be a fun get-away. The show goes from Jan 16 to Feb 8.

How is the weather in Texas during this time off year? We live in the midwest and would like to get away from the cold for a few days.

We would also like to visit Austin & San Antonio while in Texas and wonder if this would be a good time to visit, or if we would be better off to wait until late April or early May before it gets too hot?
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 06:13 PM

Texas is a big place, and you can't generalize about "weather in Texas." Also, it's impossible to predict what the weather is going to be like at any particular time of year--except that June, July, and August will be hot.

If you're interested specifically in Fort Worth in January and early February, it can be sunny and 70, or it can be snowing and sleeting and freezing cold. No way to tell, and if your #1 priority is escaping the cold, I wouldn't count on it being warm and sunny in Texas in January. On the other hand, Fort Worth has several wonderful art museums and other indoor activities, and if you'd be happy doing those things in addition to the rodeo, then a January trip would probably be okay. I've never been to the Ft. Worth rodeo, so can't give you my opinion on that.

You might also consider the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. It is a huge production and has lots to offer. This year it is March 3-22. Big name entertainers, wine and food events, midway, high-end vendors, etc. Some of this year's entertainers have already been announced: http://www.hlsr.com/

The Austin and Hill Country area is prettiest during wildflower season which is usually late March through April, but there is lots to do in Austin just about any time. It can start getting pretty hot there in May, however. Or maybe not.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 07:14 AM
yk

Dallas (ie Fort Worth as well) can be cold in Jan/Feb, but nowhere as cold as the midwest. It rarely goes below freezing, and usually gets some light dusting of snow once a year. Dallas is in North Texas, so the more south you go, the warmer it'll be.

In the 3 winters I spent in Dallas, I'd say they were quite nice. It gets a cold snap once in a while, but it tends to warm back up (like 50s) after a few days of cold.

Of course, if you wait until April, you can take in the spring flowers (texas bluebonnets) in the Hill Country area (Austin vicinity).

In any case, you'll find Texas much warmer than the midwest.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM

I've live in Fort Worth and go to the Stock Show several times every year. Typically there are times when people were wearing short sleeve shirts and shorts one weekend and bundled up in winter coats the following weekend and wearing rain slickers during the week in between. In other words Fort worth gets its share of WEATHER. There's an old Texas saying that goes something like this - If you don't like the weather wait a few minutes.

In January and February visitors come to Fort Worth for the Stock Show, the museums and other places of interest NOT FOR THE WEATHER. While compared to other parts of the country we have "mild winters" we still have "winter" - it can be blustery and cold one day and mild another - theres simply no way to tell in advance what tomorrow will bring.

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 09:01 AM

maryann and yk are pretty much on the mark. The combination of the Houston Livestock and Rodeo in Mar and hill country in late Mar - April would work nicely.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 11:21 AM

I agree; I'd go with the rodeo in Houston and enjoy the weather. The rodeo is huge and has lots of big name entertainers. March in Texas is usually very nice. January is pretty unpredictable.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. We weren't aware of the Houston show and were very excited when we saw the list of entertainers. However, I was shocked to see the price of a ticket to the rodeo. The cheapest seat is over $100, with prices going up to over $400. The rodeo alone is just as expensive as the rodeo with a concert. We attended a rodeo and concert featuring Clay Walker at the New Mexico State Fair and paid less than $50.

Can someone tell me why the prices are so high? I looked at prices for the rodeo at Ft Worth and can buy a ticket for $30 or less, which doesn't include a concert.

I have decided that visiting Texas in March would likely be better than late Jan or early Feb. However, I'm not sure we are willing to pay so much to see a rodeo.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 04:19 PM

mlm, where did you come up with those ticket prices for the Houston Rodeo? I just looked at the website, and all that is being sold now is season tickets--meaning for all 20 performances. Those start at $312. There are also mimi-season tickets starting at $148, and those are for 9 performances. Single tickets won't go on sale until they announce all the performers, which is January 12, 2009.

You do pay for the performer along with the rodeo, i.e. you can't go just to the rodeo without buying a ticket that includes the performer. The most popular performers typically sell out quickly. I have had to use stubhub to get George Strait tickets; also used stubhub for Brooks & Dunn last year. Both were definitely worth it.

Last year face value tickets were from $16 to $300 plus Ticketmaster charge.

The performance on the last day of the rodeo is usually a good one (Brooks & Dunn last year), and that's when they typically have the rodeo event finals, too.

The Houston Rodeo is lots of fun. I think you'd really enjoy it. You can check out their website to see all the different related activities.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Maryanntex,

Thank you so much for your reply. I guess I was looking at the multi-event tickets. I have marked my calendar to check back on January 12 for the single sessions.

We are really interested in vacationing in Texas during this time. I have a free Frontier ticket so we'll only have to buy one. Hoping to combine Houston with San Antonio & Austin.

Perhaps planning to attend the show and rodeo at the end of the event would be best based on your recommendations, plus the weather will probably be better later in March.

Thanks again for your help.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 05:23 PM

You're welcome. Check back later if you have any questions. In the meantime for you planning, my two favorite Houston websites are www.artshound.com to find out what's going on in Houston, and www.b4-u-eat.com for restaurant reviews and locating nearby restaurants.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 05:38 PM

Houston has great theater performances, museums, restaurants, and sports if you're here at the right time. You will love San Antonio - definitely eat dinner on the River Walk. If you come in the spring, you might get to see the wildflowers. Gruene is also a very cute little town. I think March and April offer the best Texas weather.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM

mlm, the carnival part of the rodeo is pretty fun too - lots of large rides, and they have all that crazy food like corn dogs and turkey legs. Our tradition is to always ride the huge ferris wheel and get a corn dog.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 06:59 PM

Sorry that I am late responding to this...I'd been on the road with work and just got home this evening.

DFW locals know that FW Stock Show weather means snow and ice!! It is VERY rare for the Stock Show to not have at least one minor ice storm or a few days with high temps in the 20's during the run. That's just how it is!!

As for horse shows, the big stock shows are actually more for livestock shows than horses. Sheep, cattle/steers, goats, pigs, etc. 4H and FFA kids are everywhere! Houston does a really good job with the rodeos and music performances. I actually like their rodeo better because the WRMC in Fort Worth is very old and is much more cramped and doesn't have the good sightlines of a modern venue.

If you wanted to see some big horse shows, come to Texas in July for the Paint World Show or to Oklahoma City in November for the Quarter Horse World Show. THOSE are much better for horses! And while you're in OKC, go see the National Cowboy Museum. AMAZING stuff there!!
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

We have definitely decided against DFW and are planning to come to Houston. Waiting for the complete concert listing before deciding on dates.

We will probably fly into San Antonio. At this time the flight times on Frontier are much better than into Houston. How long will it take us to drive to Houston? What area should we plan to stay in?

Christie P - We would love to go the World Quarter Horse show in Oklahoma City and the Cowboy Hall of Fame. We just haven't made it there yet. My daughter has been to the Quarter Horse Congress in Ohio and really enjoyed it. She would also like the World Paint Show, but can't imagine coming to Texas in July!
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 08:36 PM

It's about three hours from San Antonio to Houston, more if you're leaving or coming in during rush hour. You probably would want to stay in the Galleria area. There are two Westins right in the Galleria itself, and a number of other hotels nearby. There is a Four Points and a Holiday Inn Express near 59 and Kirby, which is also a good location. The Zaza is located in Hermann Park, close to all the museums, and probably closest to Reliant Center and the Rodeo, but it might be more than you want to pay. Good idea to check reviews on tripadvisor.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 04:10 AM

Hello mlm59

If your dates don't work out for the Houston Rodeo, you might want to visit the one in Austin. It's on a smaller scale than Houston's, but the nightly rodeo / entertainment still packs a wallop.

A favorite Austin entertainer is Kevin Fowler. Famous for his "drinking" songs, he packs the house. If you get a ticket for his show, you'll be sure to have a fun night!

www.rodeoaustin.com

It runs March 13-28.

Happy travels! <)
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 08:39 AM

San Antonio to Houston is about a 3 hour drive. It's a fairly boring drive... You could always buy a ticket on Southwest and fly it. ;-)

Definitely do make a trip to Oklahoma City some fall to see the QH World and the Cowboy Museum. I can also recommend some wonderful restaurants in the area! I will be up there this coming week and a visit to the QH Worlds is a MUST!

Texas in July is pretty hot... The Paint people are always whining about it when we walk through the barns at the Paint Worlds. The trade show attached to this show is GREAT! If you do make it, the National Cowgirl Museum and the Amon Carter are both an easy walk from the Will Rogers Center. A great place for lunch in the area is the Cafe Modern at the Museum of Modern Art. You can also walk there. I don't care for modern art, but the food is GREAT!
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. on the Austin Rodeo. I have looked at their website and it looks good. They don't have their schedule posted yet for 2009 - had several good shows in 2008. While not as large as Houston, a possibility, since it is much closer to San Antonio.

Time may be an issue since my daughter works full time and is starting back to school in January. She doesn't have the schedule yet so we don't know if she will have a "spring break".

If we have to decide between only Houston and San Antonio/Austin, I think we'll skip Houston. Both of us very much want to visit the Riverwalk, the Alamo, and the other missions around SA. Plus, the flight times are much better to SA.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 04:38 AM

mlm - if Houston still in the picture, I agree with maryanntex's comments on where to stay. The Galleria area has dozens of options with large range in prices. The Zaza is very nice and a beautiful setting. One advantage with it (or any hotel located more downtown) is you'd have have the light rail option to the rodeo venues - really nice to avoid the traffic issues.