Ft. Lauderdale to Key West

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2008, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm driving down to Key West from Ft. Lauderdale in September (gambling on hurricane season). I like to take my time and explore, so I want to spend two nights in the other Keys before I hit Key West. I've got my 5 days in Key West set at the Key West B & B, but I'm struggling with my other two nights.

I've been thinking about the Coconut Palm Inn in Key Largo for the first night and the Continental Inn in Marathon for the second night. I do want to visit Bahia Honda on my way down. Budget is not that important, but comfort and hammocks are.

Any thoughts on where to stay? I have done a search here and have picked up lots of good info, but any more specifics would be appreicated.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 09:22 AM

We will all hope for a quiet hurricane season. Although, it has been a very mild/warm winter, so the ocean temperature is not as low as it should be. That, in turn, does not bode well for "quiet".

Anyhow, Marathon is nice for the second night of your drive south. However, if you want to stop in the upper keys first for a night, I prefer Islamorada over Key Largo.

http://www.islamoradachamber.com/

If budget is no issue, do what the first President Bush, Jack Nicklaus, and others do every year and stay at Cheeca Lodge.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 10:35 AM

I recommend the Ragged Edge in Islamorada. It's a small place right on the ocean side far off the main road in a residential area.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

I guess I should say that budget's not a huge issue, but I like the little places with fewer rooms right by the water anyway. No tennis court/golf course/ex-prez lodging type of places for me!

I'll take a look at Ragged Edge...
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 11:54 AM

Hampton Inn Islamorada is uncommonly nice. Beautiful pool, mini beach, and walking distance to several good restaurants. Short distance to Bud n Mary's Marina, World Wide Sportsman, and you can walk along the pedestrian path out toward Indian Key.