Search

Florida Keys in November?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida Keys in November?

Hi Everyone,
We just returned from Vegas this weekend. What a great time we had!!! Thanks to all of you who gave us ideas on how best to spend our time. We ended up getting an upgrade at the Alladin to a resort suite facing the Bellagio fountains...simply awesome!
Our next trip scheduled is a driving vacation from Ohio (near Dayton) to Orlando for a few days then on to the Keys. We are early-retireys with lots of energy and curiosity and not so very much money(!) so any help is appreciated. We know nothing about the Florida Keys, so input on favored spots would be great. Thanks so much....
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 01:42 PM

The Keys should be great at that time of year. We Ohioans will be ready for sunshine by then (we're from just east of Columbus and will be in Key Largo the first part of December). I don't envy you the drive though - that's a really long trip just from one end of Florida to the other.
We stay in Key Largo somewhat because of the convenience of getting to and from the airport and we've been-there-done-that party thing in Key West years ago. If you haven't seen Key West it's DEFINITELY worth the time, even if for just a day. Good luck!
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 03:17 PM

Another buckeye here. We have done the drive numerous times. It's not bad if you can change drivers and stop along the way. Driving down we stop at northern Georgia, then Orlando then down to Islamorada. There is a very nice Hampton Inn there which is more like a resort than your typical Hampton Inn. There is also Cheeca Lodge which is very nice and $$$$, the Moorings, Chesapeake Resort. We typically spend around 3 or 4 nights there and head down to Key West for 3 or 4 days. I would stay in Old Town in Key West at one of the bed and breakfasts. Some recommendations: Center Court, Island City House, Marquessa, Gardens. Take your time driving down to Key West. Stop at Bahia Honda State Park. Do a text search on the Keys and you will find tons of info.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 04:43 PM

okay i guess it just depends on what you like to do and your interests because i could definitely live without Key West.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 05:02 PM

Linda:

Can only tell you the weather around that time and it is beautiful (went to Ft. Lauderdale area at that time). Low to mid-80s with low rainfall and sunny skies.

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Key West is my personal favorite vacation destination in the continental US. I think it's because it feels tropical. And casual. I love not having to have a car. Great restaurants. Fun bars. No beach to speak of, but that's what Mexico and Belize are for.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the ideas and tips, especially the driving recommendation, buckeyemom. Sounds like a fun trip.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 05:37 AM

Your welcome Linda. We pack a cooler with soft drinks, water,sandwiches, carrot sticks, yogurt etc. for the drive down. You can pick up ice anywhere along the way if you need it. We have a full-size conversion van which makes the drive bearable. It has a tv/vcr, adjustable captains chairs and a bench seat in back that folds down into a bed. You can rent conversion vans from your either your local car dealers or Budget. Happy driving!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:52 PM

We had a great time in the Keys in March...I wrote a trip report back then that has some information on the place we stayed and activities...it's called "Keys/Miami Beach: Long Trip Report", and I'll top it for you.

love
roxy