Ft. Lauderdale to Bahamas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Ft. Lauderdale (Lago Mar) in July and we would like to take a day trip over to the Bahamas. I have looked at several cruise lines online that offer such day trips but I am not sure which one would be best. Does anyone have any advice on these day trips including meals, cabin rooms, etc.? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM

I believe that there are also short hop flights to the bahamas that are as cheap as the day cruises... the experience we had was on an old cruise ship and it was terrible... we much preferred the 15 minute flight... take your passport...
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 10:51 AM

We researched this issue for our trip last year to Fort Lauderdale. Unfortunately, the ships that do the day trips don't give you much time in the Bahamas and seem to want to maximize the gambling time. If you are really intent on this, I would check out the air
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Gary:

Do you know which airline you used? Thanks for the help - I appreciate it!
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM
jd

Do yourself a favor and do NOT take the day cruise to the Bahamas!(especially on Discovery Line).It's just not worth it for 1 day. You have to get to port really early to go through immigration,it's 4 hrs over, and on those small bloats you can really feel the motion, then when we got there, the ship had to be cleared by customs(that took an hour at least).That doesn't leave that much time. We did one of their tours which was the worst tour I have ever been on. Then it was another 4 hrs. back and we were all motion sick. The boat did not have good food either.
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Okay - we are completely now turned off by the day cruise option - thank you all for helping us make up our minds! We are now thinking about just looking up a nice dinner cruise or sunset cruise to tour the waters.
Thanks for helping us avoid a horrible experience.
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:46 AM

I'd fly. Do you know where in the Bahamas you want to go? There are quite a few options. Continental flies to several of the islands from Ft. Lauderdale.
Old May 4th, 2008, 01:59 PM

vicweeks:

If you're just looking for a cruise, this one is kinda fun:

http://www.junglequeen.com/

It's not gambling and we didn't have the dinner cruise, but it was fun to get out on the water anyway.
Old May 4th, 2008, 09:15 PM

You should look into taking Chalks Airline which is a seaplane service from Miami/Ft Lauderdale to Bimini/Paradise Island Nassau.
Old May 5th, 2008, 05:44 AM

If you are still interested in the Bahamas, choose Paradise Island and head over to Atlantis... not only will it give you the taste of gambling, but is a great way to spend a day in their HUGE aquarium... well worth the tour... for airlines, you might check the Atlantis web site... I'm sure they must have some air shuttle tie in from FtL for anxious gamblers...
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:28 PM

I thought Chalks Airline stopped operating after that deadly crash off of Miami 3-4 years ago... or is this another Chalks Airline?
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:23 AM

Hi, Just returned back from Atlantis. Flew over on American and stayed at the Cove (ocean view suites). Had fun on the water activities and loved dining at the Ocean Club now connected to Atlantis.

All food can be costly. Best deals for a budget are along the marine dock and the starbuck sandwiches in the lower level of the condo building. Also bought wine at one of the liquor stores in town and enjoyed a glass before going out for dinner

We gave up on the budget and had beautiful seating by the ocean and a quiet experience for breakfast and one dinner at the Ocen Club.

Also went to the poop deck and sat outside for a casual dinner.

Atlantis has deals if you arrive on a Sunday or Monday. Our travel agent booked a package with air and land transport.

Best Wishes for your trip.
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Have you looked into BahamasAir? They fly to several places in the Bahamas direct from Ft. Lauderdale.