Ft. Lauderdale/Hotel on the beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two couples, mid 20's have decided on Ft. Lauderdale for a week in mid-May. Looking for hotel($80-$110/night) suggestions right on the beach and for night life suggestions. Thanks to all!
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 09:52 AM

I stayed at the Sheraton Yankee Trader for two nights last September. The rate was $65 per night and I got that from www.hotwire.com. I expect prices will be higher in May but you may well get something in your range.

The hotel is right opposite the beach and a walkway leads to the beach above the road so you don't have to cross through the traffic to get to the beach. The hotel was fine, a typical mid-range Sheraton.

I've read quite a few horror stories about the Holiday Inn which maybe another place you are looking at. Other than that people continue to recommend a number of other Fort Lauderdale hotels on this site if you do a search.

For nightlife we spent one night near the hotel, around the Beach Place complex and beachfront bars. The other night we went for drinks at the top of the Hyatt Pier 66 and then took the Water Taxi to the Riverfront area where there are numerous places to eat and bars and clubs.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with, I have some notes but this is just off the top of my head.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Hi,
I can help too! Was just there in February and stayed at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper. (My boyfriend and I are mid-20's) It was wonderful. On the beach, good location and great service. Priceline for $100/night which was Valentine's Day and President's Day wknd. Post here and I will give you my email for questions. PS> Go to Bahia Cabana for HH!
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Hi Stones, I too stayed at the Yankee Clipper in September 2001, pre and post cruise and loved it. It's right on the beach, didn't need to rent a car and enjoyed the area very much. We got a good deal either through Travelocity or Expedia, don't remember the price, but it was certainly reasonable. Do the water-taxi where you get a fun tour of the beautiful homes, mansions, plenty of restaurants and visit Los Almos, (sp), sorry, not sure that's the name but it's a delightful shopping area right on the water, it's been a while. I must admit the pre-cruise portion was a lot more pleasant than the post cruise as we were in the Caribbean on 9/11, so obviously there was concern about getting home. Was very glad we had booked 2 nights at the YC post-cruise for that very reason. Enjoy!!
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 02:30 PM

I think Rosemary is thinking of the Las Olas Boulevard area with all the shops, restaurants, bars, etc. Riverwalk is near the end of the Water Taxi route and you can stop at Las Olas along the way. Or stop at one and walk to the other. The walk along the river is very pleasant, especially during the day when you can see all the yachts docked along the river.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 03:55 PM

My vote is Marriott Harbor Beach Resort. Located right on the beach. Beautiful hotel. We found a good rate $105 per night on priceline. If you bid under "resorts" you'll get this hotel. This is the only hotel listed under resorts. You won't be sorry. Hotel close to the activities too.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 04:18 PM

Heartburn3, right you are! I knew it was something close to that, thanks for the correction. It really is a fun place with plenty to do/eat/shop!
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 05:56 PM

I tried bidding for the Marriott resort for mid April and went up to as much as $135/night. No such luck for me. $105 is a great rate. Wound up with $80 for Hyatt 66. Doesn't the Marriott seriously nickel and dime you though? I heard it's $25/night for parking alone.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 05:26 PM

Uhh ohh. $135 a night is a bit steep for a priceline bid. We went last year in November. Maybe that is why my rate was lower. This is off season time. Yes, there is a fee for parking- $16.00 a day. $25.00 a day if you want valet. It's definitely worth the $105 a night. We had a beautiful oceanview room. Very pretty resort!
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 06:35 PM

The Marriott Harbor Beach was pretty steep this April. Hardly anything good was coming up on Priceline, with the exception of the Hyatt Pier 66, which was a great deal for those who got it. I sort of figured out that High Season is from approximately Christmas through May and part of June.

In mid-May, you might have a problem getting a good rate at the Marriott Harbor Beach, but you can usually get a good one at the Hyatt. Just check out BiddingForTravel to see what the winning bids have been.

Parking rates are pretty steep at the Harbor Beach location. And the Hyatt might not be much better, you need to contact the hotel or their website to find out. As a tip, I'd suggest parking the car yourself. I did this at the Marina Marriott and lucked out the next day because when I left the ticket booth was not being manned and it was the middle of the afternoon. I wonder if they make you take a ticket and then not charge you, in order to deter people from using their parking lot for the Water Taxi. Hmmmmm????? Or, I could have just been having a lucky day!