Ft Lauderdale during the HOLIDAYS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2003, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hoping to get some ideas! I will be in Ft. Lauderdale area during the Christmas holidays. IN regards to shopping, eating, relaxing, people watching are there any must do's? I will have a use of a car.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Sure hoping that I get some posts back!!!!
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 07:57 AM

If you use the search feature at the top of this BB and search for Fort Lauderdale you will see many recent postings concerning these questions.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

I did the search and I was NOW hoping to get some specific info re Christmas TIME.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 08:39 AM

Christmas on Las Olas

Las Olas Boulevard
Downtown Fort Lauderdale, Fort Lauderdale

Strolling carolers, bell ringers and holiday crafts will set the mood at this 38th annual event. Kids can take a ride down Snow Mountain, see animals in a petting zoo, listen to story tellers and see special entertainment on three stages.

Dec. 2: 6 p.m. - 10 p.m.

Price: Free
Information: 954-523-5001

I wasn't being crtical, just not sure you knew about the search feature since many don't seem to. The above data in from the Sun Sentinel. You can view the paper at http://www.sun-sentinel.com and if you look under entertainment you will be able to view dining reviews for FLL as well.

Also see http://www.goriverwalk.com This site lists upcoming events in the Riverwalk area of Las Olas Blvd.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Great info! This is exactly what I was hoping for......minus the kids stuff. We are a fifty plus something couple and while we do love kids, we don't want them around while we vacation.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 09:49 AM

Not sure where you will be staying,but some places we have liked over the years to dine are-
Bravo Italiano - 17th St.
Bimini Boatyard - 17th St.
Charlies Crab - N.E. 32nd Ave.
see http://www.muer.com then choose FLL
Sage French Cafe - N. Federal Hgwy.
See http://www.sagecafe.net for their web site. It is a place we NEVER miss on our trips to FLL.

[email protected]
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 04:25 PM

Terrific FRENCH restaurant on Las Olas:

Cafe de Paris--- they have a Fixxed price menu- that is 4 courses and it is FABULOUS!!

Make sure you try the Rack of Lamb, French Onion soup or Country Pate and the Chocolate Ganache Cake for dessert...

I get hungry just typing this!~!
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 05:04 PM
GoTravel

Go to www.Sunny.org and go to the "Events" area and they will have a calender of events.

Old Dec 1st, 2003, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great ideas. I tired to look up the restaurants in fodors.com. I couldn't find any of the suggested places.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 06:02 PM

Another restaurant my husband & I love is La Bonne Crepe on Las Olas Blvd. We have never had a bad meal there. You can either eat indoors or outside & watch the world go by. Prices are not too high for that location. Another restaurant farther down on Las Olas Blvd. is The Floridian, a restaurant where a lot of locals go. The food is very good & reasonable. Since you will have a car, another restaurant that I think you may enjoy is Aruba...their address is 1 Commercial Blvd. right on the Ocean...great ambiance, lots of fun & great food. As far as shopping, there is the Galleria Mall in Ft. Lauderdale. Also, take the water bus (quite inexpensive...their website is www.watertaxi.com). It goes up & down the intracoastal waterway, you can see the sights, get off & get on as many times as you want & even get to several restaurants that are on the water. Enjoy our great city!
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Lucky you Marcia, you actually live there. Will there be a lot of places open on Chrsitmas Day?
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 02:11 AM

when is the boat parade? That is something not to be missed. A water taxi to see the decorations waterside is fun.

We loved the Samba Room on Las Olas closer to Riverwalk area. It is a very chic space with great cuban and spanish food and wonderful cocktails and wine.

I also love 3030 Ocean, which is the signature restaurant at the Marriott Harbor Beach resort. It faces the ocean, great seafood, lively bar, good service.

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 03:53 AM

Marcia - You mention a couple of our other favorites. La Bonne Crepe, though I've only had breakfast there, and Aruba Beach Cafe. Have you ever tried Old Heidelburg? It is actually in Dania out by the airport. How about Shirttail Charlies? I had serious trouble trying to find that one the first time there. We are planning on returning to FLl in May and would appreciate any dining ideas you may have firsthand experience with. Thanks!
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:02 AM

Cingular Wireless Winterfest Boat Parade 2003, Presented by Nokia
December 13, 2003
"The World's Most Watched Boat Parade" and the "7th Largest One Day Spectator Event in the Country!"
www.winterfestparade.com

This is the info on the Boat Parade in Ft Lauderdale....

Boca has a boat parade also, on Dec. 20
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:07 AM

Sunniest - While I personally have received some good advice on this BB I have found the hotel and restaurant ratings to be far from accurate. Of course all the ratings are subjective.
For a destination that has so many nice places to dine and stay as Fort Lauderdale, Fodors has only 29 restaurants and 23 hotels listed.
In my experience you are better getting some first hand recommendations than relying on web site listings.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. What about the restaurants that are listed on this website? Are there any that are not to be missed?
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

I would also be interested in " excitement" in the surrounding area.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Harry, I agree totally! First hand experience and information is the BEST. I was just curious about the places to eat that are listed on fodors.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:14 PM

Harry & Sunniest: I can recommend a few other restaurants, but it would help to know your budgets. Yes, it's nice to eat at expensive restaurants, but a lot of people are not able to do that every night.
Sunniest, as far as excitement in Ft. Lauderdale, the downtown area, called Himmarshee (an Indian name) is really jumping. A lot of younger people, though. They have some great restaurants there also. It's near the Broward Center of Performing Arts. Maybe you can catch a good show or concert there...I haven't checked their schedule, but you can check it on the 'net. Also, along A1A there is a place called Beach Place where you can relax (it's across the street from the Ocean) & definitely do some serious people watching.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -