Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

ft. lauderdale, downtown or beach? Where to stay?

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

My husband & my 2 yr old & I will be staying in Ft. Lauderdale for 2 days on the way to Naples.
Should we stay downtown or on the beach? I've read reviews on travelocity on many of the hotels on the beach that were FRIGHTENING! And those were the big ones! I like to reserve through Priceline but I'm a little nervous I might get one of those hotels.
I'd like to be convenient to the beach for my daughter but I'm thinking the downtown properties may be a better deal since they are relatively new.
Any advice & thoughts greatly appreciated!
Michelle
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 07:14 AM
GoTravel

Priceline doesn't do three in a room so I wouldn't take a chance on priceline if I were you for that reason.

Your needs are too specific for priceline.

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 09:11 AM
jd

Definetly stay on the beach. Check out the Lago Mar or Marriott Harbor beach. Both are very nice with great pools. You could bid on priceline for the Marriott Harbor Beach; if you happened to get a room with only 1 bed your 2 yr old could get either a cot or crib.If either of these are too expensive try the Raddison Bahia Mar.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 09:53 AM

Michelle:

I'd recommended staying at Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, FL, 5 miles north of Ft. L's beaches. This is a nice little beachtown with motels 3 stories or under. I'd suggest the coralkeyinn.com (across the street from the ocean on El Mar Drive with direct beach access as soon as you cross the drive) as I've stayed there twice and I'd recommend the 1 BD suite as it contains a walk in closet and a comfortable sleeper sofa and king size bed and a full kitchen. It has a little pool in front and its nothing fancy but the beach is way less crowded here and a mall within easy walking distance of the place I mentioned (it includes an Eckerd and Publix grocery store).
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the help!
I was wondering about North FL. I had stopped in a northern area in FL before, not near the beach and it seemed a little unsafe. I will look into the area.
Michelle
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 03:59 AM

GoTravel is correct about Priceline. As a frequent Priceline user(as you may be, also), remember that you cannot bid on a specific hotel. If your 2 year old is in a crib or pack and play, you can deal with the "guaranteed bedding for 2" so I wouldn't let that dissuade you from bidding. Good luck. Threehearts
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:36 AM
jd

Its true you cannot bid on a certain hotel, but in Ft. Lauderdale,the Marriott Harbor Beach is the only resort hotel in the beach zone that has ever come up.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 07:29 AM
GoTravel

schelle, because land is such a premium at the beaches, I would not consider any beach area 'unsafe'. Inland maybe but not the beach areas.

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 04:31 PM

I don't think you'd have a problem using Priceline with your 2-year old. Most places have 2 dbl or queen beds OR 1 King bed. What time of year are you planning to visit Lauderdale?

The categories with Priceline that will give you good hotels in Ft Lauderdale are:
Beach: Resort or 4*
Downtown: 4* or 3* (I prefer the 3* Downtown category because you tend to get the Embassy Suites or Marina Marriott).

Hope this helps

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the advice. I have had luck with Priceline in the past with my daughter along. Most hotels are can accomodate a crib which is fine for her.
Upon your reccomendations I bid for the beach and got the Hyatt Pier 66 for $92. I thought that was a good deal. Although I'm a little disappointed that it is a 15 min. walk to the beach.
Thanks again!