Frustrated with Hotel Choices on Oahu

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is it that the nicest hotels only allow 3 people in a room? With a family of four, I have to either get two standard rooms or a suite. I have done a bunch of research about specific hotels, thought I had made up my mind where to stay, only to find that there is this 3 person limit! If the room sizes are the same as other hotels (or usually larger) and the beds (2 doubles or queens) can accomodate 4 people, why will they only allow 3? Are they anti-kids? Or just want you to spend more? For example, Halekulani, JW Marriot, and Kahala in Oahu.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:03 AM

Try the Hilton Hawaiian Village or the Embassy Suites.

Or you calling the hotel directly?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:26 AM

I don't know where you are looking, but the JW Marriott Ko Olina website doesn't sound anti-kid and my family has a reservation for an upcoming trip.

"Leisure Rate Promotion Ocean View*Includes room and kids eat free * Max Occupancy is 2 Adults & 2 Children * See Rate rules"
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:32 AM

What's wrong with suites? They are designed for families just like yours.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:19 AM

So don't let them know how many kids you have...
Usually room occupancy is determined for fire code reasons-at least that is what I was told by a hotel once.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:34 AM

Yes, just lie about it....
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:52 AM

oboy, I bet that starts a bunch of "how dare you lie", "if they find out, you'll be kicked out" and "it's for your own good" replies...
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:55 AM

Yep, why not start some controversy eh!?
I've lied frequently so I hope my room doesn't catch on fire!?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's not about "how dare you" but if you lie to the hotel, you're going to have to ask one of your children to sneak in and out of the hotel? Nice (not).

Ashley24~ Have you called the hotel desks directly and just asked them this question? They might be better able to explain, then we can.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:39 AM

Why would one of the children have to sneak in and out of the hotel? Four people are allowed in the lobby and other areas of the hotel. Four (or more)people are allowed to be in the room at any given time. Four people are just not allowed to sleep in the room.

How is the hotel ever going to monitor how many people are actually staying in the room all night?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:43 AM
GoTravel

Room occupancy is set by insurance companies which is dictated by the local fire marshall.

In most hotels, housekeeping is pretty militant about the number of people in a room because it is more work for them.

While everyone is telling you to lie about the number of people, don't do it.

At best you are sneaking around the hotel afraid they will find out. At worst, you are kicked out of the hotel with no refund.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:28 AM

There's plenty of hotels that do allow four to a room. Why would you WANT to stay in hotel when it's rules offend you?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:54 AM
LG2

I checked Travelocity quickly and found this:

Room: Daily Rate, Diamond Head Ocean Front Room/ King Or 2,
Twin Beds With Balcony (2 Adults, 2 Children)
Nightly rates are based upon 2 people in the room.

I checked the hotel's website and the dropdown boxes for reservations accepted 2 adults/2 kids.

It does sound confusing. Like starrsville suggested, contact the hotel (call or email).
Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are sooooo many properties that do allow families of 4 -- WHY ON EARTH would one need to lie/sneak?? Sheesh.

(and if the extra person IS discovered you lose the room, lose the money, and lose face in front of your kids -- yep, smart move no matter how you look at it)
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:22 PM

ok, so I don't actually lie I just don't tell the whole truth. I have 3 kids. It's alot harder to find a room that allows 5 people.
I have never had a front desk person ask how many people were staying in my room and then check to see if that was actually true.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Rusty~~ Well for one thing that 4th person isn't going to have a key. When you first check in, you're going to ask one of the kids to stand on the street, then come thru the lobby and pretend he/she's not with you. The idea is ridiculous.

Ashley24~ Just find a hotel that has rooms for 4 people. There are plenty of them. Please don't listen to some of the advice here, it is REALLY off base imo.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:28 PM

"so I don't actually lie I just don't tell the whole truth"

Imagine your child saying this. Now imagine your response.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:32 PM
GoTravel

The problem is that it overwhelms housekeeping.

Have you ever checked into a hotel or had your towels delivered to the room really late? That is usually because a hotel is operating at full capacity.

The hotels make more money when they are full with two people in a room than when they are full with four people in a room.

Five people in one room? Not since college.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:38 PM

omg people lighten up...obviously no one has to take my advice
So if you have a family of 5 (3 of them being KIDS) do you get two rooms and leave the kids in their own room? I really don't think housekeeping is overwhelmed by one more person using one towel.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM
GoTravel

Christine, it is when most of the hotels rooms have more than two people when housekeeping gets overwhelmed.

For my family of five, we always got three rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -