frozen kosher meals on emerald princess

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are considering a northern baltic capitol european cruise on the emerald princess. we keep kosher and would like to know what other kosher passengers on previous princess cruises think of the quality of the frozen airline style kosher meals served on the cruises. Also has anyone had fresh fish cooked in aluminum foil instead of the frozen kosher dinners and how were they? what about pasta made in a new pot..has that ever worked for anyone trying to keep kosher on a non kosher princess cruise. any other suggestions or options for the kosher cruiser. I now there are kosher cruises with freshly cooked meals but those dates are not good for us. Someone said that if you cant enjoy the food on the cruise then its not worth going on it. thanks for reacting and responding.
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Go to either the cruise portion of this forum or go to www.CruiseCritic.com as they have about 200,000 active posters on their forums.

Old Dec 9th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Pasta made in a new pot? yes, on day one. Will they keep a pot just for you without using it for anything else? Sorry, I don't think so.

The employees on a cruise are mostly from 3rd world or other poor countries, good if they know what "Judaism" means, leave alone kosher. I would not trust anything but frozen dinners if you are glatt kosher.

I don't agree with those who said you can't enjoy cruise without eating all food. What about people with health limits? Vegetarians? Or just didn't want to dress up? You enjoy seeing new places! Maybe I was on the wrong cruises, the food was fine, but that's it. Not gourmet.

Maybe they just meant, why waste money, you pay for food that you can't enjoy?

I go vegetarian on cruises, and yes, there is a risk that the same knife was used for non-kosher food. But this is within 1/64 prescribed by the rabbinate
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM

Have you considered just taking a Kosher cruise, where you wouldn't have that concern?
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 04:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
MikeT, They said the dates weren't good for them on any kosher cruises.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Jed

Everyone has their own standards for 'kosher'. I am 'kosher', but when I go to restaurants or on vacation I travel as a vegetarian. It depends on how you feel about it.

Consider that you will be eating 3 meals a day. If you are glatt, I can't imagine you can isolate your food for a long period in a restricted environment, unless the Emerald Princess is set up for kosher people, and not just a sideline.

Hi, MikeT.