Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

From Oz to Pittsburgh, Penn. - ANY info please

Old Aug 3rd, 1997, 01:28 AM
Matt Croker

We have an opportunity to relocate to Pittsburgh and know absolutely nothing about the place. Any good/bad info would be appreciated - ie: is the weather bearable, how big it is, prices, houses, sports, sites, nearest beach...

Old Aug 3rd, 1997, 03:07 PM
Lynn

I live about 50 miles South of Pittsburgh. The city which once was known as a polluted mill town has undergone a revitalization. The downtown and suburban area is less polluted and it is a relatively safe place to live and work, especially compared to other larger cities. I believe it was the late 1980's that Pittsburgh was voted the most livable city in America. It continues to to be near the top of that annual list. The people here have a reputation for being friendly, but don't mess with their sports teams. The Steelers (football) and the Penguins (hockey) have a remarkable and dedicated following of fans. The Pirates (baseball) future is questionable because the following is not as intense and they have been on and off about moving. Lots of good restaurants and the availability of cultural events at Heinz Hall and the Benedum. Major concert attractions at the Civic Arena and Star Lake Ampitheatre. The city is located on three rivers where there is a lot of water recreation in the summer, particularly boating and Point State Park is located at the junction of these three rivers in downtown. Lots of community events, free concerts, etc. are held here. We do have four seasons. Summers are warm to hot (mid 70's to somtimes upper 90's). Winters are mostly cold but have gotten frigid (30's to 0 degrees). Last winter was one with very small amounts of snowfall, but we have gotten up to 3-4 feet (rare, but it happens). Spring and Fall are usually beautiful, especially fall with turning of the leaves - and mountainous areas (with skiing) are only a short drive away. There are good and bad suburbs just like any other city, but the some of the most prestigious to live in are Fox Chapel, Mount Lebanon, Upper St. Clair, Shadyside. The Oakland area of town is home for the University of Pittsburgh and University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. I think the majority of people in the area are glad to call Pittsburgh home. I can only urge you to visit to find out for yourself.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 05:55 AM
steel jerker

Agreed--you should really take an exploratory trip there first to see what the city is really like now.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 07:51 AM
Kathy

Pittsburgh is an interesting place. It's a large city, but feels more like a small town. And therefore you have the good and bad aspects of small towns. Friendly people, but also many closed-minded people, who tend to be rather prejudice against anyone who's different than them.

The weather definitely gets cold in the winter, and you will get your fair amount of snow.

Aside from the three rivers that intersect in Pittburgh, you're basically landlocked. It will take you at the bare minimum 6 hours to drive to the Atlantic Coast. You can, however, head for Lake Erie, one of the Great Lakes and the Presque Isle beaches. It's about a 2.5-3 hour drive. If you're looking to water ski or fish, there's a lake between Pittsburgh and Erie, called Conneaut Lake, in a very small town.

It's a fairly affordable city. Can't give you prices right off the top of my head, but I live in DC, and Pittsburgh prices make me very jealous.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 08:03 AM
Rachel

Matt-I lived in Pittsburgh in the early 80s and loved it. I still go back to visit. great sports, restaurants, affordable (housing, entertainment, etc), taxes are not bad in PA (at least from my perspective, I live in NY state which has high taxes) terrific neighborhoods, the city itself is very accessible-decent public transportation. I do not recall any good beaches. It is on rivers (3 of them) and the nearest beaches are small lakes or the Great Lakes (@90 miles away). Being someone who hates lake beaches, that was a disappointment. HOusing is varied-old, new, nice burbs and nice city homes. several nice universities (Pitt, Duquesne, Carnegie Mellon, and other smaller ones) You should visit. and also, where would you be moving from? Good luck whatever you decide

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 08:05 AM
vegamite manwich

Well, from the looks of Matt's e-mail address, looks like he's from Australia. Quite a move!

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 08:09 AM
Carol

Oops, almost got suckered into answering this one. I hope Matt (orginal poster) is enjoying his new job in Pittsburg. This post was brought up from 1997. They almost got me. LOL

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 07:41 AM
StephanieP

Matt:

I agree with everything below except the weather. Anymore, winter anywhere is non-existant. I live in the City of Pittsburgh but plan on moving 20 miles west of Pittsburgh, where I grew up. Pittsburgh is conveniently located to 3 states, with many day trips you could make north, south or east of the city. I would recommend Ohiopyle State Park (50 miles east) and Moraine State Park (50 miles north) of Pittsburgh. Plenty of outdoor stuff to do here. Go hiking with the Sierra Club. The Allegheny Group is very active here, they have outings weekly.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 10:01 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 10:48 AM
adifferentbuthonest

Both of my parents grew up in Pittsburgh here is my take from visits and their memories.

I think this city has always suffered economic hardship. Most of the people in my family, cousins who have become middle class professionals have done so by leaving. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50+ cousins on both sides of the family who were raised in Pittsburgh.

Every one of my siblings thanks my parents for leaving that city whenever we return. We grew up in a town some six hours east and not a city at all but near Philadelphia. Most of us did not stay where we were raised either but felt it was not as confining as Pittsburgh. I am sorry to offend natives; I loved the city as a child and it is certainly a nice place to visit. As an adult the steep hills you have to drive up and down to get to each location are literally nauseating.

It is true that the city is experiencing urban renewal but so to has most of country. There has been a cosmetic improvement but I wonder if that city will ever compete with cities like Boston or San Francisco in terms of opportunity. I do see Pittsburgh as very cut off from contemporary America. I live in NYC and have lived in Boston and Washington D.C. Get the feeling Pittsburgh is too isolated. We were told that some people go out to the airport to find gift ideas that are out of the ordinary. One story out of context but it kind of reflects what I experience as a kind of generic quality in Pittsburgh. I think you will understand what I am saying better if you visit the city.

PS if you are attracted to affordability just remember that how much you spend in the super market probably is comparable to what you will bring home each week.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 10:57 AM
why now

PEOPLE__LOOK at the dates before answering--this post is from
and for some odd reason (boredom???), someone topped it today.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Jay

I Think that if you have the opportunity to move to pittsburgh you should go!! I was born in Pittsburgh and am now living out west but yould kill for a chance to go back and live. My cousin sent me an article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution about pittsburgh. The article was on the front page and said that the Ajc (Atlanta Journal Constitution ) Had looked at every city in the country and has named Pittsburgh the most beautiful and liveable city in the world.

As for things to do pittsburgh has plenty. 2 new beautiful staiums for the Pirates (baseball) and the Steelers (football) Their are endless numbers of Museums and great were talking great restaurants. The nice thing is that Pittsburgh isn't a very big city. The nicest suburbs are about 15 minutes drive up the mountain from downtown and their absolutly beautiful. If you want inner city living you can find it here. But if you want a huge farm you can find it here too, all just 10-15 minutes from downtown.

The weather is great. Nice warm summers and chilly winters. Fall is absolutly beautiful.

Pittsburgh itself isn't a huge city. It is very compact. It sits on the point/pinnensula where the monogahala and the allegehny river cometogether to form the ohio. This makes the city absolutly beautiful. These rivers dont move very fast at all, and are relatively clean. So in the summer the river is filled with boats. From yahts to fishing boats everyone has a great time. The nearest beaches are Maryland beaches. Their about 4-6 hours away.
as for housing, the houses are beautiful and cheap.
I hope i have been help and i hope you come to love pittsburgh as much as i have