From Las Vegas to Utah

Search

From Las Vegas to Utah

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Las Vegas to Utah

In a few weeks, my husband and I will be in Las Vegas for 3 nights and then driving to Zion NP for a few days. Can anyone tell me the most scenic way to get there. We will be staying at the Desert Pearl Inn. We have never been to Vegas or Utah so are looking forward to it.
Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 02:59 AM

The distance will be about 200 miles. You take IS 15 north and take exit 75 and visit Valley of fire state park . You will rejoin IS 15 at exit 93 and continue north on IS 15 till exit 16 where you'll take road 9 and arrive in Springdale(at the Zion park entrance). The Best western there is great.Have a nice trip. Paul
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 03:24 AM

You are just going to love Utah. It's a very easy drive from LV to Springdale. Just jump on Rte 15 North out of LV. It's a big, fast highway - speed limit is 75 mph so you can really cruise. Stay on 15 til you get just past St George, Utah where you will pick up rte 9 in La Verkin heading toward Hurricane. The whole trip takes about 2 1/2 - 3 hrs depending upon how fast you drive, I guess. The drive gets pretty gorgeous once you're past Mesquite and start getting into the Virgin River Canyon. With only a few days for Zion, I'd head straight there - the park is breathtaking as is Springdale and you'll want as much time there as possible. In Springdale, the Mean Bean has the best coffee in town. Oscar's serves great food. If you click on my name and scroll way down, you'll find our trip report from last year's fall trip to Utah. You will definitely be back to Utah. You may wish that you skipped LV and spent the whole trip in Utah! Have a wonderful time.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:36 AM

Adding the Valley of Fire to your route will add another hour of just driving time. Keep in mind that the days are very short in the winter.

I agree with sharondi, I'd head straight to Zion. If you find you have time as you drive back to Las Vegas you can then take the loop around to see Valley of Fire State Park.

BTW, you stay on I-15 past St. George and take exit 16. It's well marked as the exit for Zion National Park. La Verkin is about 12 miles off of I-15 and on the way to Zion.

Utahtea
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:52 AM

While I would highly recommend going to Valley of Fire also, I would have to say it does make the trip that much longer. Valley of Fire is GREAT and really shouldn't be missed, but if you are pressed for time then I say head straight to Zion. If you have time on the way back then stop there. The drive from Vegas to the gorge is pretty boring, nothing to see. BUT once you get into that gorge (the gorge itself is beautiful) it is great. You will see other cars stopped in the gorge taking pictures. Look around for big horns, they are hard to see, have to have a keen eye, but they are there. A couple of times we have been the traffic has been stopped by them crossing the road or just walking along side of it. Zion is fun, I can't comment on the hotels/motels because when we go we take our travel trailer and stay at a campsite, but the park itself is wonderful. Please take the time to go into the narrows, it is truely breathtaking!! Have fun!!
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi
I just got a chance to get back on this forum. Thanks to you all for the replies, sounds like a pretty easy drive. I am so anxious to leave now.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

I just thought of another question. We will be driving from Vegas to Zion and back but not going further like to Bryce. So with this in mind, are we OK with a car rental for the roads or do we need a 4 wheel drive. We are used to driving in snow.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 02:11 PM
lls

We did the same trip two summers ago and we also stayed at the Desert Pearl -- it was a wonderful hotel. Zion was gorgeous and the transportation system there is excellent. You'll have a great time -- I can't wait to visit there again some day!
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 02:59 PM

You'll be fine with a regular car. You won't encounter any snow from Vegas to Zion. Perhaps there "might" be some near Zion, but the main roadways will be cleared. I think the snow though is more north towards Panguitch/Hatch areas.