Bryce Cyn-Death Valley

Search

Bryce Cyn-Death Valley

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bryce Cyn-Death Valley

I'm making a trip from Bryce Canyon through Death Valley then to south Orange County in early May. Do any of you have any suggestions for routes, things to see and do along the way, favorite lodgings, things to avoid, etc?
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 08:44 PM

The route I would take would be to go west on Hwy 12, then south on Hwy 89 to Mt. Carmel Jct. Then west on Hwy 9 thought Zion National Park. Keep following Hwy 9 to I-15 and take that down to Las Vegas. You will travel thought the Virgin River Gorge which is nice.

If you have plenty of time I would take a side trip to Valley of Fire and loop back to I-15.

From Las Vegas if you have time I would take Hwy 159 (W. Charleston Blvd) out to Red Rock National Conservation Area.

It's been a long time since I went thought Death Valley so I'm not sure which road would be the best but I would enter the park from the east.

Utahtea
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 08:56 PM

To utahtea - you are a one-person Utah Chamber of Commerce and Travel Bureau. They should pay you a commission! You were enormously helpful with suggestions you made as we (continue to ) plan our trip for the summer (LV - Bryce-Zion-GC). Don't remember if I ever said thanks, but we are reading all your other Utah suggestions as well.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 09:36 PM

Gail thank you. I guess my passion for Utah is pretty obvious

Utahtea
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Utahtea - Thanks for the recommendations. I drive the I-15 route 2 or 3 times a year to visit my kids and grandkids in the Bryce Cyn area. I agree about the Virgin River Cyn and I was ecstatic when it opened, saving at least an hour in each direction. Do you have any suggestions for routes, sites. etc. if I decided to go west from Cedar City then south instead of taking I-15 to LV?
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 06:26 PM

Boy you travel that route more than me...LOL! But I hear what you are saying. We have taken almost all the back roads in Nevada and Utah to avoid doing driving on the interstates.

Ok, here are some ideas. From Bryce go up to Panquitch and then take Hwy 143. This is a nice drive by Panquitch Lake and Cedar Breaks on your way to Cedar City.

From Cedar City take Hwy 56 which turns to Hwy 319 at the NV border. This is a lonely stretch of highway but that's the kind I like. Infact all the roads I will mention are lonely stretches of open space. I personally think Nevada is beautiful.

Take Hwy 319 to Panaca. Just north of the town is Cathedral Gorge State Park which looks like the moon surface to me.

From Panaca take Hwy 93 to Crystal Springs. Here you have two choices. Choice 1 is 25 miles longer but it takes you on the Extraterrestrial Highway 375 <insert X-Files music> You will pass the town of Rachel and can visit the Little A'Le'Inn.

http://rachel.dreamlandresort.com/rachel/ethighway.html

I love the road signs!

http://www.ufo-hyway.com/375tour/375tour03.html

Take Hwy 375 to Warm Springs and then Hwy 6 to Tonopah. Make sure you get gas in Panaca or Caliente because I don't believe there are any gas stations on the highway until you get to Tonopah.

From Tonopah take Hwy 95 down to Death Valley. You can enter at Scottys Castle. This route is 506 miles.

The other route from Crystal Springs would be to go south on Hwy 93 to LV. which is 480 miles.

Happy driving.

Utahtea
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 06:28 PM

I forgot to mention the only road we have not driven is Hwy 267 to Scotty's Castle in DV.

Utahtea
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Utahtea - I knew you'd have good ideas.