From Illinois to Maine trip planning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for help in planning a driving trip from Illinois to Maine, about 10 days long, for 4 adults and 2 teen boys. I'd like to know the highlights to hit in Maine or close surrounding states if it's a "don't miss" sight and not too far out of the way. We might be able to get passports and return by making a loop up thru Canada but I don't know if we'll get them in time since we're just going to do the paperwork this week. Also, we might be able to take a Class C (30'?) motorhome. Would we be able to get camping spots or is it too late for Arcadia and other good spots? Appreciate any suggestions!
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 02:48 AM

A-C-A-D-I-A - no "R", that's what Mainer's do with their accent - take the R out of words like 'park', and add them in where not present, like "idear". Lived here for 35+ years but still crack up at some strong accents.

Anyway, your question is really broad and pretty hard to answer. Not too late for camping in Acadia but only some campgrounds will allow motorhomes. I don't think the ones in the national park do, but there is a KOA and a couple of others more geared to large vehicles. There's a lot of territory between IL and ME and it would help to know what you like to do, whether you plan to drive straight or stop along the way, whether you want to see big cities like NY and Boston, etc.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Sorry about the spelling! I know that and I still want to write it and say it that way- don't know why! : ) We're mainly interested in seeing Maine, highlights, especially the scenic part and exploring the nature side- not interested in shopping although the exception might be to stop at LL Bean. We don't really care to do much on the way from IL until we get to VT or NH although I did see the Adirondacks look like they're on the way. It will take us 2 days to get there and 2 for home so that whittles the time pretty fast and I'm overwhelmed by all the good choices. So I guess I'm looking for the places you just shouldn't miss for a first trip. These (obviously not in any order) were some gleamed from other posts that seemed to keep popping up - but of course would have to narrow this and I guess suggestions on which to choose would be helpful.

Portland
Camden/Rockport/Rockland
Moose Lake
Acadia- Schoodic drive
Bar Harbor
Mt Desert Island
Kennebunkport

White Mountains, NH
Stowe, VT
Adirondacks
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 09:16 AM

In New Hampshire take the cog RR up Mt. Washington. What time of year is this trip? Do your kids want a beach where they can swim in the ocean (York, Ocean Park, Old Orchard)? If you are much farther north in Maine, the water will be too cold except for the most hardy, even in August. There are postal boats that go to the islands out of Portland, might make a nice day trip. Several places have lobster boats that will take you along with them. If you mean Moosehead Lake, be sure to take bug spray. Take clothes appropriate for any kind of weather you could dream up, hot, cold, rainy, dry.

Have a great trip
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

We will leave sometime the last week in July or first of August. Swimming would be nice but not a have to. When we went out west to Yellowstone and Glacier just loved the scenery like the Beartooth Highway and small towns like Waterton in Canada so don't want to miss places like these.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 12:58 PM

What an adventure (or possible trial) with 4 adults plus 2 teen age boys! And for ten days. I see many miles of driving ahead. But then in years gone by we survived with three kids with trailer on long trips.

Here's the thing. Best have each member pick out what to see or stops to make along the way as well as in New England. That gets everyone involved in "their" trip instead of you being chief planner relying on Fodor and other travel tips!

Of course Maine is a delightful destination including Acadia. We were there recently with adult daughter during the American Folk Festival late August in Bangor. (Yes, a stop at LLBean, etc). Of course Niagra Falls and also Ft. Niagra are worthwhile and other places depending on route. Good luck.
Ozarksbill (in Spfld, MO. but many years in Illinois)
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 03:52 AM

No apologies needed on the spelling. It just cracked me up and I didn't mean to be rude or anything. A few notes - Moosehead lake is far inland and north compared to your other destinations. I would estimate 3 - 4 hours from Bar Harbor. So if I were you, I would stick to the coast on this trip. You're already doing a lot of driving and althought Moosehead is nice, it is pretty remote and maybe not worth the drive. Also, less to do for the teen boys.

North Conway, NH and the White Mountains aren't as far out of the way and are also very nice.

Also, you should check the Acadia National Park website (http://www.nps.gov/acad/). Click on View May to get an idea of the layout. As you'll see, Acadia is located primarily on Mount Desert Island. Bar Harbor is a town on the island. The Scoodic Peninsula is a portion of the park located off-island. It is nice, but for your first visit you will find plenty to do on MDI. There is hiking for all ages and abilities. Your teens would enjoy renting bikes and riding the carriage trails - also plenty of choices for all levels. And there are a few organizations that offer guided kayak tours - something completely different for landlocked travelers from IL.

I guess if I were you, I would book it from IL to New England. Spend a night somewhere in southern Maine and then head up to MDI. Spend 3 nights there. Come back down the coast and spend 1 night near Camden/Rockland. Drive over to the White Mtns and spend 2 nights. Head home from there. Try not to move around more than that or you'll drive yourself crazy!
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Ozarksbill,
Hopefully the trip will be the adventure instead. Luckily we all like biking and kayaking and seem to be on the same page for the most part in spite of the age difference. I like the idea we all give some input. BTW we have a lake house on Table Rock Lake not too far from you in the teeny town of Cape Fair!
Cindyj,
I think I'm coming around to the idea that you are suggesting that doing the coast and especially the Acadia ; ) area will probably be plenty. We talked to friends who take huge long crazy camping trips and even they said the same. What about Bar Harbor - should we try to add a day there? It was mentioned several times.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 03:40 AM

Again, check some maps. . .Bar Harbor is located on Mount Desert Island, see my previous post.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 06:08 AM

You don't seem to be asking about places to stop halfway between IL and Maine.... not planning to stop, or not interested in anything in between the two places except maybe Canada?

A decent 1/2-way area is western NY state, and there are indeed things to see there, including Niagara, but also "stuff" in Buffalo and Rochester -- or even north of Albany or western Mass.

What did you have in mind?
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 11:33 AM

Yes, I would say don't try to take in too much, more relaxed in enjoying Acadia and the Maine coast and along the way given length of days and distance of trip. Maine lobsters for instance...I know of a wonderful lobster place at Boothbay Harbor next to inexpensive motel.

I see on another post that you are traveling in a 30 ft. motorhome which MIGHT I suppose accomodate a party of six (barely?). Preparing meals will mean time and work for someone unless you are eating out. We had a 30 ft. trailer ourselves until a few years ago. Anyway, it will be a long haul and hopefully not too tiring. Good luck. So you come from Illinois to Table Rock? Yes indeed, just south of us. A favorite campsite was Aunt's Creek (Corps of Eng.)down that way
Ozarksbill
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

JJ495,
Actually I was interested in places on the way out but now I think we'll have to get thru as fast as we can so we can have enough time to see what we want out there. Due to good advice here we have narrowed it down to coastal towns and Acadia. Probably skipping Canada this time. Have been to Niagara and Letchwork SP a few years back (with same group) and loved that. We do hope to camp in the Adirondacks or White Mtns one direction or the other. We have found that the camper is great because we can eat, nap, etc on the way and still keep going. We've done similar trips to Yellowstone and Glacier and the NY one above with my sister's family and we're pretty compatible.
New-related question - the vehicle they usually pull is for 5 and we will have 6. Can we get by with just the camper and no car to get around? Otherwise we'd have to drive a 2nd car. Will parking be a problem to go into towns? Acadia has the buses but where do you need to go to get to them?
Again,