Search

from Chicago baseball to Brewers BB

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2008, 06:41 PM
hpo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from Chicago baseball to Brewers BB

We are doing a stadium vacation this summer and will have less than 2 days in Milwaukee. Leave Chicago on Sunday am for Monday afternoon game then leave for Detroit on Tuesday am. Debating on the Ferry ($$$) to alleviate some driving monotony. Any suggeestion on restaurants or "must sees" appreciated as well as opinions regarding the ferry. We're family of 4 w/teen boys age 15 & 13.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 02:17 AM

I would take the ferry just to break up the trip. You are already doing a lot of driving so take a break. I have never done it and don't know the price difference. When I went to Detroit, we stayed in Livonia, MI which was a good mall area. I cannot remember the name of the steakhouse that we ate at. It was towards the Silverdome.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 03:55 AM

In Milwaukee, Discovery World has hands-on science exhibits that are designed for older kids.

The advantage of the ferry, in addition to releiving the driving monotony, is avoiding the slow downs due to road construction. I've heard people saying that the 90 minute trip from Milwaukee to Chicago has taken three hours.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 05:22 AM

Your boys will LOVE this restaurant/bar in Milwaukee. It is the coolest. It is a whole spy theme:

http://www.safe-house.com/

And search for "crosscheck" on this forum. She just did a similar trip.

The ferry is nice, but pricey. One alternate method of getting to Michigan is to take Lake Shore Drive south to the Museum of Science and Industry. Turn right there and follow signs for the Skyway. That takes you down Stoney Island. Not the best neighborhood, but okay. Follow Stoney Island and there is a ramp that drive right up to the Skyway. From there you are just a couple of miles from Indiana.

Check with others though. For all I know that whole way is closed due to construction. There is always a lot of construction in Chicago.

Old Jul 30th, 2008, 05:47 AM

Not sure if this is an option for you but I thought I throw it out here just as a suggestion.

Amtrak

Chicago-Milwaukee, about 1.5 hours and about $20 for adult ticket

Return

Milwaukee-Chicago-Detroit, about 6-7 hours plus connection time and about $80 for adult ticket

Not a baseball fan, but few years ago I followed the Chicago Bears on all their road games for 1 season. Had a great time although the season record sucked.

However you decide to do this, have a great time!