Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Frisco, Dillon,? Vail 3 day Itinerary Sept and Dining Suggestions.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2021, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Booked a place in Frisco, Colorado and now its time to plan 3 full days
Sept 10 arrive at 7am from Texas-Need a place for breakfast, and things to do on the way to Frisco, even an easy morning hike/stroll or driving tour off of I70. I was thinking about maybe Happy Cooker in Georgetown.
Dillon has a Farmer's Market that day. Afternoon stroll/hike to get use to the altitude before check in at 4 pm. Will try to get early check in.....will need a nap.
Dinner suggestions-maybe a Brew pub but open.
Saturday-Rent Bicycles Vail Pass, afternoon hike-Will the Aspens be turning colors? Suggestion for a hike that will not be crowded with great views for flatlanders in decent shape for the afternoon
Saturday dinner at a nice restaurant-any type of food except Mexican.
Sunday-Drive to Vail for the Botanical gardens or horseback riding. Would rather do some type of horseback riding on a ranch. Found something in Kremmling I liked. If we do horse back riding we would skip the gardens. Enjoy a scenic drive back to Denver from Kremmling. I do know it's a longer drive. Open for suggestions.
I have heard the traffic is bad back to Denver. Are we OK leaving late to miss the traffic....after 7pm? Staying near the airport Denver for mid morning flights on Monday.
Thanks
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 10:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I would leave the daily planning of outdoor activities until you're there and know what the weather will be on any given day (esp. for Vail Pass). You can check historical weather records for your dates for Frisco, Vail, etc., and see that daytime high temps in the 30s and 40s are not unheard of. There could even be light snow. Whatever you do each day, take outer wear for all conditions.

For dinner Saturday, I would go into Breckenridge.
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 11:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"I think I would leave the daily planning of outdoor activities until you're there and know what the weather will be on any given day . . ."

AND and any fire/smoke issues.
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 11:39 AM

DS says today they can at least see the front Range in Denver

DDIL's parents have a house in Frisco and I love this little town. I can't remember where we ate but there are good places. I'll see what they recommend for a nice night out.
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 11:10 AM

...Are we OK leaving late to miss the traffic....after 7pm?..... Generally not and in fact that could be near the peak. But I just don't know what the pattern has been this summer. We have had a lot of problems with I-70 being closed in the canyon and that has pulled a lot of through traffic, especially trucks, off of that corridor. Probably closer to 8 or 9 would be better.

Our forest fire situation has been very reduced this summer but the smoke from CA , OR, NV, has been fairly severe this summer. But it is all dependent on weather patterns so no good way to anticipate. It has been slightly better the past few days.

Kremmling to the airport is about 130 miles or a couple of hours with normal traffic. I would think you could find horseback riding around Breckenridge or perhaps Leadville.
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 03:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
If you go to Kremmling, you could horseback ride at CLazyU Ranch, which did an outstanding job in evacuating all its horses and saving their lives, last fire season. A couple of outbuildings burned, though. They could use some income, I’ll bet. It’s a nice little place.
https://www.clazyu.com

Honestly, though, I think Kremmling might be out of your way. It’s a very pretty drive along the Blue River, but it’s also very slow. There will be other stables in Summit County
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 04:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
A new fire just exploded between Placerville and Lake Tahoe so more smoke is probably headed your way
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the updates. We have reservations and we will just wing it! Will be happy not be at work...
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 04:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If air quality in Vail is of any concern, you can check the mountain web cams before heading there... The first view (Back Bowls) is looking south, and the second view (Gore Range) is looking east, almost directly to Frisco

https://www.vail.com/the-mountain/mo...tain-cams.aspx

There are stables near Vail Village, Beaver Creek and Breckenridge Just google or yelp.