Frin LGA to St. Marks Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone tell me how to get the public transit (bus & subway) from LGA to St. Marks Hotel please.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 04:54 PM

You can go to hopstop.com for directions but I wouldn't bother. Get a taxi.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 05:27 PM

I'm assuming you want to do this to save money. It's not very time efficient, but I understand the inclination.

It involves taking "regular" public transit (buses and subways not specially designed for luggage, for example) so should only be considered if you are energetic and have only a small bag or two. I have never done this route, so I defer to mclaurie's suggestion of checking Hopstop. Perhaps some other Fodorites have more specific information.

mclaurie,I would take a taxi too, but without knowing anything about the poster and his or her finances, interest in seeing neighborhoods in the city (OK, maybe I'm pushing it on that one ), don't you think that it was a bit hasty of you to dismiss the question with "I wouldn't bother. Get a taxi. " ?
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 12:45 AM

" don't you think that it was a bit hasty of you to dismiss the question with "I wouldn't bother. Get a taxi. " ?

First, I didn't dismiss it. I provided an answer to the question offering Hopstop as an accurate way to get the answer and also provide OP with maps. I then gave an opinion, saying I wouldn't bother.

As to seeing neighborhoods in the city, using public transportation for this trip involves being underground most of the way. The OP would see far far more by taking a taxi or even the Express bus to Grand Central for $12, but that was not what was requested.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 07:55 AM

I'm not sure how the best way to get from LGA into Manhattan is, but if you get to Grand Central take the #6 train (look for Green circle with #6, local train) to Astor Place and walk East to St. Mark's (about 1 block, going toward 3rd Ave; if you find yourself on Broadway you are walking the wrong direction)
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 08:57 AM

You need to realize that this isn;t dedicated airport transit - but for regular commuters. OK if you have a small carry-on - but if you have more luggage there's no place to put it and as you get into the city the cars will get very crowded. Also - you will have to haul luggage up and down several flights of stairs and along long passageways.

Yesterday I was shopping on Broadway and witnessed 2 tourists - a couple in their 50's - trying to get their luggage from the subway up to the street. They each had a mid size bag and a carry-on - and were having a LOT of trouble. Finally a young man took the woman's larger bag up the final flight of steps (mostly to get them out of the way of everyone else - since they were clogging the narrow stairway.)

It's not somethng I would attempt and will take a long time - as in an hour and a half minimum.

Really, unless money is SO tight - make your entrance to the city pleasant - not hellish and grab a cab instead.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 10:33 AM

I've done this trip several times and it's not as difficult as some have mentioned. When you take the subway all the time, you get used to it as a good means of transportation.

All that said it is easy to get to the hotel from there. Take the M60 bus at the airport (ask at the transportation desk where to catch the bus) and take it to 125t St and Lexington Ave. From there catch the #6 train to Astor Place.

When you get off the train walk upstairs, KMart will be in front of you, to your right, walk to the corner of 8th St and turn left the hotel will be just a block away and right in FRONT of you on 3rd Ave. Across from Copper Union (college).

Have a great time while you are here, and please give us a report on the hotel.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 04:29 PM

you can take the ny airport shuttle bus that picks up from each terminal in LGA to grand central for $12 and then hop on the 6 down to astor place for $2
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 05:33 PM

I DO take the subway all the time - and it's a great means of transportation around Manhattan.

Just not when you're trying to squish yourself in a crowded train with luggage there's no room for. Or dragging it up 3 flights of stairs (and holding up every one behind you - since many stairways are so narrow you can;t pass someone carrying luggage).
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone.