Friar Tuck Spa Resort in Catskill, New York

Apr 5th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Friar Tuck Spa Resort in Catskill, New York

Any Reviews??? Places/entertainment/interesting things nearby that I shouldn't miss?

Will be there for a week during 4th of July this year and have never been to the area (Woodstock, etc.).

Thanks!

Happy Trails,
Paul
Apr 5th, 2003, 08:42 PM

Paul:

Stayed there a few years ago. Was part of a reunion get-together.

Good points: Price, pool, surrounding areas
Bad points: Tacky hotel, food and rooms were dated.
Would not stay there again!
Might have updated since I been there...so good luck!
JOHN

Apr 6th, 2003, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Wow John, let's hope they have updated the place. It sounds like a huge area - I will be staying in Nottingham Village in the Friar Tuck complex.

Any neat entertainment venues that you recall and could share with me... how about a restaurant or two? I hear that fireworks over the Hudson River are great (4th of July).

hmmmmmmmmm wonder if these will be, "Happy Trails?"

Paul
Apr 6th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Apr 7th, 2003, 09:19 AM

Paul:
I just looked at the website. Man, it does not look like the same place that I stayed! So do not go by review, it looks like they improved the hotel. When I went it was known as the "Friar Tuck Inn". It was off Rt. 32. This has to be the same place!
Anyway.....Check out the Hunter Mountain Website when you get closer to your date. They run mountian festivals in the summer (German, Irish, Celtic, Indian,etc.) I am sure something will be going on that weekend.
As far as things to do....there is great hiking trails up on the mountain, good golf courses.....I am not sure about the fireworks on the river, never been there during the 4th of July.
Do not have any recs on resturants in the area. Try www.chowhound.com. They might have some recs. on that area!
The hotel should have great entertainment! The area, quite frankly, is kinda quiet, with family rentals, tubing, biking etc. Lot of local stuff. Friar Tuck will be where most of the action will be!
JOHN
Apr 8th, 2003, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, John. Yes, their website does look pretty nice. { http://www.friartuck.com/ } I hope that there is enough to do to keep my mind occupied. I do love hiking, so I am looking forward to that aspect. I have read some neat/interesting things about neighboring Woodstock, and of course Albany is 25 minutes away as well. I'm just looking for some 'local flavor' and don't want to miss anything of great significance. …And funny you should mention the pools at Friar Tuck – that is one of the main reason I chose this resort. Thanks again for your reply, John.

Happy Trails,
Paul

Search this Thread