Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fri. pm traffic from JFK to new haven???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving at JFK on Friday Feb. 23rd at 5pm and leaving for New Haven, CT. Should we go into the city and take the train from Penn or Grand Central to New haven? Or take a shuttle? or rent a car? Is the traffic really bad leaving the city on a Friday evening and how long would the drive take? All info is greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 06:31 AM
J62

I would drive. Traffic on the 1st 10miles or so can be bad (The VanWyck (I678) from JFK across the Whitestone Bridge, especially the 1st 5mi or so). After the Whitestone Bridge toll it traffic should not be a big problem. After the bridge you'll get on either I-95 or better yet the Merritt parkway (no trucks). The drive should take less than 2hrs.

Just getting into Manhattan to catch a train will take at least an hour, so total travel time will be far greater if you take the train.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Shuttle info:

www.ctlimo.com
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 09:38 AM
mjs

I have not lived in New Haven for years but will assume that traffic is no better now than it was when I lived there. Have not done the JFK to New Haven route on friday at 5pm but I have done the opposite and traffic is awful coiming out of the city. I would be very surprised if you did that drive in less than 2 hours.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 10:11 AM

I disagree with the 2 hour time estimate. I used to work in Westchester and drove back into the city many days at 5:30 or 6pm - and the traffic out of the city to the CT line was always bumper to bumper. If y ou were leaving the airport at 5pm I wold allow 3 hours fo New Haven.

However - you may not be traveling at 5pm. When is your plane scheduled to land? What time does it really land? How long wil it take you to geet luggage and a rental car? Doubt if you'll be out of the ariport before 6pm - and would be VERY happy to be in New Haven by 8.