Frequent Flyer Miles

Search

Frequent Flyer Miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frequent Flyer Miles

Tonight, I attempted to book travel for Aug. 2004 using FFM. I was told the seats haven't been "released". Can anyone advise me on far in advance the airlines release FFM seats for Hawaii?
Thanks!
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 07:55 PM

carbogilligan,

There was a recent thread on this very topic, dealing with Hawaii trip, too. Do a search for it.

You should just ask your airline carrier. I believe they will tell you. The difficulty is coordinating the "to and from" legs of the Hawaii trip. Because so many travelers want to use FF miles to Hawaii, the few seats available are booked within minutes of the date they become available. Therefore, you may be successful booking the trip to Hawaii and still have difficulty getting the free seats on your return. That's what the thread was discussing. I'm sure you will get plenty of responses with the exact release timeframe for the different airlines.

Good luck!
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 08:28 PM

I can never remember, but is almost, not quite an even 11 months, at least with American. I always look at what date I want to fly, then call American Aadvantage and ask them the first day I can book them. Then I make sure I do. The one time I forgot and was a day or two after that, and the few business class to Europe seats were already gone for my first choice of dates.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 05:51 AM
iceeu2

Delta is either 330 or 331 days..

Old Sep 28th, 2003, 06:29 AM

At Northwest, they let me book the outgoing flight for first class travel to Hawaii (I believe it was 330 days in advance) and held it for two weeks so I could book my return flight. I only had a 36 hour window to book my return flight and I booked it right after midnight on the first day possible. I always book my award travel on the telephone. It's less frustrating, because their representative can readily tell me what is available and what my options are.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 06:32 AM

By the way, the other thread DeeDee was referring to is entitled, "Secret to using FF Miles to Hawaii First Class". If you type this phrase in the text search you will be able to read the 37 responses to that query.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 06:37 AM

Could someone tell me how many frequent flyer miles do you need to travel to Hawaii on Northwest for the fall?
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 06:54 AM

Janny - that information can be easily located at the NWA website, nwa.com.

worldperks > redeem > award charts
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 07:25 AM

Don't forget folks, airlines open more award seats closer to the dates as well. I just did some checking on AA.com from TPA to HNL in October(available), November(available), December(available, but at the higher mileage), and January(available) did the same dates for each month, 22-29th I believe. AA has always been good about award seats availibility, but the point is, there will be seats available closer to the dates on any airline, once their revenue dept. will be able to get a feel for % of possible seats actually sold for cash.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 07:35 AM

Forgot to add the following:

When airline releases a flight for booking, their revenue dept. assigns x number of seats available for award tickets. Once these seats are gone, the rev.dept. will NOT release any more till certain time closer to the date as their yield mngt. software will start to give them predictions based on many factors.

There were few times I had to be waitlisted for upgrades and in ALL instances I was upgraded, although a month or 2 before there were no upgradeable seats available. Although award seats come from different inventory, it works on the same principle.

So don't despair, just start checking religiously about 4-3 months out, and the best way is to call the airline directly. Also it helps if you have any status as you will be allowed to talk to the 'status' desk, which in more cases than not, are more helpful.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 10:00 AM

We have gotten coach ff award tickets to Maui the past three summers on AA. Never booked more than 6 weeks in advance. But we are very flexible.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 10:48 AM

I booked my award tickets for flights Wednesday and Thursday. Most people want to fly on the weekends, so I think it is easier to get availability mid week.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 07:01 PM

I booked our 2 FF tickets to Maui 7/24/03 for 12/04/03 flight (round trip) from AA's website. It was the exact flight I wanted (date & time)--first try. I was amazed at how easy it was. This was the first time I had redeemed FF miles! Maybe luck???