Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Princeville Resort or Four Seasons Big Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 07:38 PM
lisa

Hi everyone -

I saw two shows on the travel channel for both resorts, and both look amazing.

For my honeymoon, I know I am staying one week at the FS Maui, but am torn as to where I should stay for the second week.

Would love to hear people's opinions on both resorts, and why you would choose one over the other.

Thanks so much!!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 02:53 AM
Tom

I cannot comment on the Princeville but I just stayed at the Four Seasons on the big island last month. The hotel and staff are incredible. By far, the best hotel that we have ever stayed at. The grounds are gorgeous, we never wanted to leave the property. The staff is extremely accomodating and friendly, almost always addressing you by name. It's a little pricy but worth every penny. Being that you are going on your honeymoon, I would strongly suggest staying here. This place will give you the memories that a honeymoon deserves. Do yourself a favor and stay here, I guarantee that you will be more than satisfied. Let me know if you want any details.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:57 AM
sue

FS is a wonderful spot. Romantic and worth every penny. My husband proposed to me there and we are planning on returning soon. You can't go wrong with this hotel. I second everything Tom has said.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 03:48 PM
mae

i got engaged and married at the four seasons in the big island--it's the best resort in hawaii (in my opintion). We are actually going to Princeville for our anniversary so I can compare after but I've visted the property before(we were staying at the hyatt)--and just looking at the common areas, it doesn't compare to 4S. It's also a very different atmosphere--not as hawaiian feeling. the islands are also very different so you may want to compare that--one's arid and dry and volcanic and the other is lush and green.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 05:13 PM
rrr

The Princeville was very quiet last time I was there - depends on what you are looking for I guess. I wonder if the FS is more lively? Happy honeymooning!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 05:20 PM
carrie

Buy yourself the Unofficial Guide to Hawaii. It tells you a lot about hotels in detail. Make sure you check to see if FS Big Island has a nice beach. The Big Island is all Volcanic Rock but very awesome. Good Luck

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:39 AM
Ginger

No contest! Been to both and the 4s Big Island is the clear winner. Princeville is too large, far from the airport, weather iffy and staff treatment hit and miss. Only thing you will miss by going to 4s is the stunning view of the Na Pali coastline.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:02 AM
Larry

Lisa:

I stayed at both places last year, and both are excellent. It all depends on what is more important to you: the beauty of the surroundings and the setting or the quality of the food, service and amenities? Also, it depends on when you are going. If you are going during the summer months, the weather should be fine at the Princeville (which is when I went there), otherwise, rain could be a problem there.

If you want the most beautiful setting, stay at the Princeville. The north shore of Kauai is the most beautiful part of the State, hands down. The Kona/Kohala area of the Big Island is very dry and arid. But the Four Seasons at Hualalai has superlative service and the rooms are amazing. If you stay on a second floor room you will get a wonderful lanai and if you have a first floor room, you can take an outdoor shower. The walk in closets are the size of some European singles. The food at the Four Seasons is much, much better than the Princeville.

Neither place has much of beach, but since you are also staying at the Four Seasons on Maui, that shouldn't be an issue.

Enjoy your honeymoon.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:14 AM
Frank

I'm a beach bum. I love hanging around there. Can someone relay to me information about the beach at the 4S or Princeville???

Or would the Hyatt at Poipu (?Sp) offer a better beach setting???
Thanks so much in advance for any info.
Frank

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 11:34 AM
larry

Frank:

Sorry but none of the places you mentioned would be good for a beach bum. There is a small beach at the Princeville, but it's not good for swimming. And if you dont' go in the summer, rain is a problem. The beach at the Four Seasons on the Big Island is artificial and not good for swimming. The Hyatt Regency at Poipu has some great pools and artificial lagoons, but the surf on the beach makes it too rough for swimming.

If you want a great beach, try the beach at the 4S on Maui (where attendants offer you drinks and other service), or try Hapuna Beach or Mauna Kea Beach on the Big Island.

In truth, Hawaii has some fine beaches, but the Carribean has better beaches.

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cannot believe all the support over the FS Hualahai over the Princeville. We just returned from honeymooning at both. Granted, the FS was a gorgeous resort and the service was impeccable. But that was all. We live in NYC and after 15 hours of travelling, we really wanted to feel like we were in Hawaii. The FS grounds were completely artificial (surrounded by volcanic rock and supported only by sprinklers). The food was simply ok (we eat out every night and have very high standards)-- nothing compared to the FS NYC. I ordered a lobster that I was told was 2 pounds and it could not have been more than 3/4 a pound. Hualalai is a desolate wasteland of lava and desert-- there is not much to see within a short driving distance. Kona (the closest dining alternative, a 15 minute drive) is a touristy town devoid of charm. We did love staying on the other side of the island and seeing the lava flow and the lush Hilo side-- but this was way too far from the FS grounds. If you are going to travel all the way to Hawaii for a vacation, I cannot imagine why anyone would simply want to sit around the resort all day. At the Princeville, we had so many more options. The view was simply PHENOMENAL-- no comparison whatsoever to the FS. The island is lush and bohemian-- it has so much more romantic charm than the artifical FS. Hanalei, an adorable town 5 minutes away, has great local alternatives to hotel dining. The hotel was not cute bungalows, but it was gorgeous nonetheless-- the grounds were spectacular, with tremendous views all around. The layout made it feel empty like it was all your own. And the napali coast line is a short drive away and offers absolutely breathtaking views. I am probably one of the few who wanted to leave to Fs to return to the Princeville-- who cares if the FS spritzes a little evian on you by the pool? The FS really caters to "resort people" who are afraid to venture beyond their hotel room. Also, I should note at the Princeville, we paid $270 per night and were upgraded to an ocean view room. The FS was double that, and we had to switch rooms because they initially put us dead in front of a busy pool area (to be fair, the new room was spectcular).
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 03:50 PM

Hi kikihack,

Not sure why you brought up this year and a half post but...here is my 2 cents. We did not stay at the four seasons on the BI, (but we did eat there), and we stayed 5 nights at the Princeville in a deluxe ocean view room. The grounds are nice at both places, I do not think I have ever seen a lobby as nice as the Princeville. I agree that the princeville view is better as well. But, I guess eveybody has different opinions, I would not go back to the Princeville simply because you can't swim at their beach, it looks nice but you can not really swim at it. I do not know about the four seasons beach, but a hawaiian hotel on the beach that you pay pleanty for and it does not have a good beach? How is the ocean at the four seasons? nice? or not?
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 06:21 PM

So, since most people don't agree with your opinion most people are wrong, kikihack?
Think about why your opinion may differ from others. If you live in the city, NYC in particular, lush mountain scenery is likely to hold much greater appeal for you than someone who lives in southern California (where the largest proportion of mainland visitors come from). Southern Californians can see desert, mountains, oceans and canyons within an hour or two of home anytime they want to. In addition, the trip over to Hawaii is not that big a deal. It's barely 3.5 hours. Your 15 hour investment would get a SoCal resident well into Australia.

For people who are used to having varied and beautiful scenery around all the time, a trip to Hawaii is often more about hanging out at a nice resort, being pampered and unwinding, not about hiking/biking/touristing and stressing to pack 100 activities into a 10 day trip.

As such, your goals in going to Hawaii are likely quite different than the goals of many others. I've been to Hawaii a lot more times than I've been to NYC. The Princeville area is very beautiful. It's the prettiest part of any of the islands, in fact, IMO. But the scenery alone doesn't make my trips there worthwhile. And I don't care for the Princeville Resort as much as I do some of the resorts on Maui, BI and Oahu. But if I lived in Philly/NYC/Boston I would probably feel differently about Hawaii.

And while I have stayed at the FS NYC, it's too stiff for my taste compared with the various FS resorts I've stayed at.
Also, if you return to HI a few times and sample more restaurants, you'll find that on average you'll be disappointed. That is, if you're particular and used to NYC dining, Hawaii will not measure up. Nor will many other places outside Paris.

Anyway, I'm glad you got to experience two very different parts of the great state of Hawaii.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 07:22 PM

I was a bit insulted at your comment that my opinion was somehow meant to suggest that I believe "most people are wrong" about the Four Seasons. I simply wanted to express my view as a singular alternative to all the gushing. When deciding where to go in Hawaii, reading all the positive posts on the FS certainly influenced my decision. The comments you provided in your post, i.e. that the resort is popular with Californians who want to relax, etc. would have been extremely helpful in putting the "gushing" in context. I think you are correct in that coming from NYC, I had different expectations for a tropical vacation (I can easily go to the carribean for a relaxing, stay-at-the-resort vacation). You are right about the food, too-- I try to stick to simple, local fare when travelling as "fine dining" rarely compares. Notwithstanding my "complaints", we loved the entire experience, and still had a wonderful time at the FS, but were glad it was limited to four days. We would love to come back Hawaii-- do any like-minded folks have other Hawaii suggestions for some NYers seeking a lush, luxurious and not too commercial atmosphere?
(p.s. sorry for posting this in an older post-- I just did a search for the Four Seasons and came up with this without looking at the date).
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 07:52 PM

Your very first comment, paraphrased and connected with your other comments about the FS, was "I can't believe that so many people like the FS so much...the grounds are plasticky, the food is substandard, the area is ugly and isolated, it's boring, it caters only to people who are AFRAID to leave the resort, and it's overpriced".

Those were pretty strong words.

Your opinion, which you are encouraged to express.
But you insult a lot of people with those comments, so expect a little discussion.