French Mother-in-Law's first trip to NYC in December

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a California native, living in France. My husband and I are bringing his mother to the states (her first time) for Christmas on the west coast with a stop in New York for a couple days to get into the holiday spirit.

Can anyone suggest the key cool (and traditional) things for her to see and do? So far I've figured on a Broadway show and some shopping. But I just don't know the city that well.

I'd also appreciate some nice hotel recommendations that would allow us to be in the center of activity.

Thanks for your help!

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 01:21 AM
Original Poster

I realized that this request was a little too broad.

Let me add that she is a very chic (big on luxury shopping) and we want to spoil her. We only have a couple days so we can't do too much sightseeing. And I'm hoping for a few Christmassy activities (is there a big tree somewhere and ice skating?) I've come up with tea at the Plaza and am thinking along those same lines.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 02:33 AM

The tree and ice skating are at Rockefeller Plaza, which is not far from the Plaza hotel and the fancy Fifth Ave. shopping. I would recommend the Peninsula Hotel for a nice midtown stay; do NOT stay at the Plaza, it's in the midst of management/ownership shuffling and many of the rooms are rundown.

Perhaps a visit to the Statue of Liberty is in order, as it was a gift from the French; you can't go inside, for security reasons, but you could bundle up your MIL and take the ferry out there.

Be aware that all shopping venues are MOBBED in December; I've seen such crowds at Saks that one literally couldn't get in the door. Going early in the day, or on a weekday, helps.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 04:31 AM

Seeing the tree at Rockefeller Center (and the skaters and all of the decorations) is definitely a must-do. Since you will be shopping anyway, you will want to see the windows that are always beautifully decorated for Christmas -- Saks, Lord & Taylor, Barney's are the first that come to mind.

I also personally love the tree at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It has an extraordinary creche (sp?) that surrounds it that was built in Italy. 100's of figures. I could look at it forever. The Metropolitan is a lovely stop on a Friday or Saturday late afternoon or evening because they stay open late those evenings and have a quintet that plays on the mezzanine with a bar -- a great entree to an evening.

For tea, I'd probably skip the Plaza due to the mob scene and try the Pierre almost across the street. They serve tea in this beautiful rotunda with cherubs on the ceiling. Plus, it's never crowded. The service is impeccable and the food is wonderful -- you won't be disappointed.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 04:37 AM

Xmas in NYC is magical! You haven't mentioned PRICE, but here are some hotel recos & what's near them.

The Stanhope Park Hyatt is on Fifth ave & 81st across from the Metropolitan Museum. The Met (which sits in front of central Park) has a beautiful tree inside. A block over is Madison Ave. where there are many upscale boutiques (although the top places like YSL, Armani, Versace etc. are a bit further downtown in the 60s & 70s).

The Carlyle on Madison & 77th is also topnotch (where Princess Diana stayed). Bobby Short (cabaret singer) usually is performing there at Xmas time.

The Mark Hotel is also in the same neighborhood & very nice.

In the 60s, there's the Regency on Park Ave., the Plaza Athenee and the Lowell (not very well known, very European, all suites I think).

The Pierre is at 5th ave & 60th across from the Plaza. The Four Seasons is on 57th St. & much more modern than the others I've listed. They're all top notch.

If you provide some more input on price, style (modern vs old world etc.) I can provide some more options. Or, a good website for "shopping hotels" is tablethotels.com. By the way, the Peninsula IS a good choice (55th & 5th) or the Rhiga which is all suites. These 2 would be considered to be more "in the center of activity" than the first ones I mentioned, but not as close to the Madison Ave. boutiques. (Her euros will go much farther here.)

In addition to the tree & ice rink at Rockefeller Center, there's also a rink in Central Park which is more beautiful IMO.

Tavern On the Green is very touristy but also very pretty at Xmas. The best Xmas windows are at Barney's (usually whimsical), Bergdorf Goodman (right across from the Plaza), Saks (across from Rockefeller Center) & Lord & Taylor. If they still do it, tea at the Helmsley Palace Hotel (right near St Patrick's cathedral) is served in a spectacular room with a harpist.

Some other typical Xmas things like the show at Radio City & the production of A Christmas Carol at Madison Square Garden may be too touristy for her.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 04:41 AM

Lisettemac & I are thinking alike! I agree tea at the Pierre is wonderful. (Might be a good place to stay too. Have no idea what the rooms are like.)
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Oh, you guys are great! More! More!
Thank you!
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 06:35 AM

Shopping - more traditional - Barney's I'd put at the top of the list for hip/chic/expensive; then Bergdorf's and Saks; definitely skip Bendel's, it's been owned by a chain for a long time.

If she likes youthful/cool/up-to-date boutique shopping, like where the fashion magazine girls shop, go down to Elizabeth & Mott Streets below Houston Street (by taxi, tell the driver Elizabeth and Houston, then walk south).
This is a territory of, say $200-$300 sweaters etc., but not $5000 dresses.

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 07:40 AM

Our favorite is the tour of Lincoln Center including Carnegie Hall, NY Ballet, Metropolitan Opera House and all other important stages of culture...it is a very fine tour going through all the beautiful buildings and the tour guide was terrific. You can just call for reservations when you get to NYC.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:58 AM
GoTravel

I also recommend tea at The Pierre over The Plaza. Wow is it a beautiful room.

You've gotten great advice about Barneys, Bergdorf and may I suggest Saks?

Also, Bobby Short at the Cafe Carlyle is a treat. Take her to the Rainbow Room for a drink and for the view. Have fun and aren't you the wonderful daughter in law?

Just did the same thing with my Mother in law and she very much enjoyed shopping at Tiffany. Bought her 50th anniversary present from my father in law.

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 09:07 AM

If you can get tickets (they go on sale in September) to The Nutcracker at Lincoln Center. The New York City Ballet does a superb job!!
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 09:31 AM
TC

I agree with the tree and creche at Metropolitan Museum - it is spectacularly dressed in 18th century Neapolitan angels and over 200 figures in the creche at the base.

A couple of years ago I bought a little book called, "New York Holiday Guide, The Best places to Eat, Drink, Shop and Celebrate" by Charles Suisman and Carol Molesworth. They have a web site at www.manhattanusersguide.com where you might contact them for information on a current copy of the book. It is quite useful.

Another favorite of mine is BargeMusic.
Fulton Ferry Landing in Brooklyn, 718.624.2083, it is a combination of first-rate classical music and spectacular views of Manhattan. It's the best place for chamber music in New York.

Olga Bloom has run BargeMusic since 1977. Ms. Bloom and her late husband both played violin, she under Stokowski, he under Toscanini. When her husband passed away, Ms. Bloom, decided to provide an intimate atmosphere where people could come together to play and listen to chamber music. She has turned an old barge in the East River into an amazing setting.

The wood paneled barge is an intimate space with musicians at arms length and spectacular views of the Manhattan skyline from large windows behind the small stage. www.bargemusic.org.

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 10:14 AM

Oh! I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. If you're shopping on 5th Ave and need a bite for lunch, you should definitely try the Tea Room at Takashimaya. Takashimaya is a Japanese department store on 5th around 54th street. The Tea Room is on the lower level. They have lovely sandwiches, salads and a tasty bento box that changes daily. Of course, they have lots of tea choices, too. It's the perfect spot for "ladies who lunch."
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:29 AM

A bit touristy but people seem to think it's great (I havent tried it).... especially if there's snow on the ground..... a carriage ride in Central park in the evening and a drink at Tavern on the Green (general consensus is that TOG is quite lovely place at night with the lights and the view of the park but for dining it's very much the classic tourist trap).
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

I'm getting so excited! These are great ideas. It's in the 90's here in the South of France and I'm getting the Christmas spirit!

As far as hotels, we can splurge a bit (say, $500 a night max.) and want to be near all the cool things mentioned (Rockefeller, Broadway bn/bn/-bn/-bn/--bn/--
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 03:40 AM

Oh, Babette. You're living MY dream in the south of France. WHERE are you located?

Anyway, I think it's time to give us some more input on your M-I-L. Is she a traditionalist or is she a bit hip? Does she live in the country or a city? How would she react to crowds? Because these are all factors in choosing a hotel.

To be "in the center of things"-particularly at Xmas, can be daunting, but there are places that are a bit less hectic yet still central. We've listed most of the top hotels. We haven't mentioned the St Regis which is VERY elegant & well located just off (east of) 5th ave on 55th. The Peninsula is on the other side of 5th (west) on 55th & the Rhiga Royal is on west 54th.

There are some boutique hotels that are centrally located but not in a location where you're deluged with people when you walk out the door. The Michelangelo, Chambers & The Muse come to mind. The Michelangelo & the Muse are in the theater district but not in the middle of Times Square. Chambers is on 56th just west of 5th.

Tripadvisor.com is a good place to look for reviews (as well as Rants & Raves on this website).
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Oh my! You won't believe what happened! I was so excited about Christmas in New York that I knocked my coffee onto my keyboard and ruined it during my last post! I had to go find a new one today!

Meanwhile, what I was trying to say was that, baeed on what I found on the Fodors hotel guide, I was considering the Royalton, the Paramount, the Sherry-Netherland, The Lowell, The Carlyle, the Stanhope, the Iroquois. So, any specific feedback on these would be good with regard to quality or location.

And, my MIL is very chic and sophisticated (unnervingly so, in fact!) She's a hip traditionalist and we live in a small city -- Aix-en-Provence. I don't think the crowds will bother her as much as they bother me!

McLaurie, you are a fountain of information!! Merci beaucoup!

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 12:06 PM

Bebette

Soak your oldkeyboard in the bathtub overnight and let it dry naturally. It will probably come back to life.

In my non travelling life, I'm an overpriced computer consultant and we've been using that trick for years.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 12:19 PM

The Iroquois is a very classy hotel. THe rooms are small but the bathrooms are done in all marble and are very nice. The location is good (near Times Sq. but away from all the noise).
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 12:58 PM

Hi Babette,

Sorry to hear about your keyboard. As to the hotels you've listed, the Paramount, Royalton & Iroquois are all hip boutique hotels in the west 40s. (I think the Paramount & the Royalton were the 1st Ian Schrager boutique hotels to open in NYC in the 80s.) One potential problem with boutique hotels in NYC is that the rooms can be tiny. I'm not sure that's the case with these 3. Another potential problem is "attitude" from staff. I'd suggest you open a new thread entitled Boutique hotels in NYC-Royalton etc. to get people who might have stayed at these to respond. Also, do look on Tripadvisor.com. There are some not great reviews of these. The location of these is good for theater-less ideal for shopping but not bad.

I've mentioned the Carlyle, Stanhope & Lowell already. These are all traditional hotels, more English in feel. The Lowell is at 63rd, the Carlyle at 77th & the Stanhope at 81st. Reread my comments above.

The Sherry Netherland (59-60) is an interesting option right across from the Plaza & next to the Pierre. I haven't been in there in years but it is also a topnotch traditional place. Excellent location for shopping.

For a hip traditonalist, I'd check out the Four Seasons (read reviews here under rants & raves.) It's big though, whereas some of the others are smaller & more personal. There's also the Trump International which I've never been in. Happy hunting.

You might be interested in reading a current thread on this board with Plaza Athenee & luxury travellers in the heading. It talks about star ratings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -