Free SWA ticket in US

Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Free SWA ticket in US

I have a free ticket to any Southwest Airlines destination and I do not know where to go. What are some really good week long destinations for couples?
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 06:23 AM

Where are you starting from?
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

I am starting from Tulsa, Ok.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 07:16 AM

What do you like to do....what time of year are you thinking?
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 07:49 AM
JJ5

When I got a free ticket, I used it for the farthest fare/ most money under usual conditions- that I wanted to go to at the time.

For me it was SF.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 08:27 AM

What time of the year?

Off the top of my head, on the West Coast: San Diego, San Francisco, Portland OR.

Go to the SWA website, they have a map and a list of cities they fly to, see what you like. I think it's called "our cities" for search.

I will have the same question in September
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 08:40 AM

Santa Fe or New Orleans would be nice too, and possibly have less stops than going to the west coast. SWA also goes to Scottsdale or Fort Lauderdale. You have so many great options, so if you narrow down whether you want beach, city, etc, we can help more.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 08:47 AM

Fly into Oakland Calif. and tour the wine country and San Francisco.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks lots of good ideas. I just like to travel and see beautiful country and interesting sights.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:42 AM

15 years ago I won a SWA ticket so I went from Nashville to Santa Fe. Best 5 days I could have spent. San Fran would also be awesome.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:55 AM

Come on out here to Portland, Oregon! Southwest has good service to our airport. If you've never been to the Pacific Northwest, it's really gorgeous. You should be here today: we're having amazingly beautiful sunny spring weather (two days ago it was rainy and overcast; Friday we had a tiny bit of snow!).

If you come in August or September the weather is more likely to be good; between now and August, rain is more likely. By June the Roses will be in bloom, though.

Oregon and Washington are beautiful as well. The Columbia River Gorge east of Portland is breathtaking - full of waterfalls and great views. The Oregon Coast is really beautiful as well.

If you want to know more, I can post links to my pictures...
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:57 AM

I have two Southwest award tickets to use this year. The thing I think I like best about them is that I can use them last minute for no extra fee if there is availability (I've checked a few times and other than holidays or peak times, there usually is). I like making spur-of-the-moment trips and can usually get cheap hotels and cars last minute; it's the airfare that kills you, so the ability to hop on a plane the next day without paying $$$ for a last-minute ticket is sweet.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:32 PM

I agree with some others, San Fran is great for a 3, 4 or 5 day trip, so much to see, espec. if you have time to go to Napa Valley. But, Sausalito and Tiburon and Oakland are nearby and lots to see there too.

I agree with JJ5, go for whatever would be the best value. A group of Fodorite's are having a GTG in Atlanta the first weekend in June, unfortunately, SWA doesn't fly to Atlanta, but does fly to B'ham.

SWA's link is at the bottom "Where We Fly". then put the cursor on Tulsa. For a short trip, Chicago, Las Vegas, Tampa Bay, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, Reno, San Diego would all be good choices. Lots to do at each place, or great place to just relax.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:38 PM

Just realized the flight to B'ham won't help you, that Alabama, not Georgia.. Had a brain fart, I guess! duh!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
KVR

We've used some of our SWA free tickets to go to Las Vegas. Others to get to Houston or Miami (Ft. Lauderdale) and start a vacation package from there to the Caribbean.
Or just stay in Ft. Lauderdale or go to Orlando.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 05:30 PM

In addition to some great suggestions from previous posters, here are some things we have done via Southwest: *Fly into Manchester, NH and visit the White Mountains and the coast of Maine
*Fly into Oakland, get a one way car rental and return from Seattle (Southwest will allow you to use the two segments to/from different airports)
*Fly into Jacksonville and visit Jacksonville and St Augustine or Jacksonville, Beaufort and Savannah
*Fly to Tampa or Ft Myers and see Sarasota, Sanibel and Naples
*Fly to OAK or LAX and then buy tickets to Hawaii on Hawaiian
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 11:59 AM

I've used mine to go to places I've never been. We're going to Nashville next month simply because we've never been there....part of it depends on your interests~if you love history, go to Washington DC via BWI, or Boston via Manchester, NH or Providence, RI. Just did the southern coast of Maine (drivable from Manchester) as luvtrvl suggested and was disappointed only that we had such a limited time. Andrew in Portland, OR, is rightfully biased~it's a beautiful city with fabulous restaurants and outdoor activities. San Diego or Ft Lauderdale if you like beaches; San Francisco if you like plays and museums, plus it's close to wine country.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 03:15 PM

Sacramento is also a SWA airport--
I fly SWA a lot last 10 years,,last award I used was from Sacrament to Baltimore then train into D.C. and then train to Philly and home. Great trip
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 12:57 AM
kkj

Posts like this just drive me nuts. How can you possibly expect to get advice from total strangers that is worthwhile when they don't know anything about you?

I'm going to put on my travel professional hat and ask you a few questions.

What time of the year are you going?
What is your trip budget?
Do you like resorts or tours?
What types of trips have you taken that you have enjoyed?
Do you like sightseeing?
What are your interest?
What are your ages?
Where do you live?
What is your goal for the trip -- relaxation, good food, sightseeing, going someplace new, someplace adventurous?
Natural beauty or city skylines?

I don't mean to lecture, but without knowing what to suggest than we are all wasting our time.

I realize that you have answered some of these questions after posters had asked, but I'm just trying to make everyone understand the importance of providing information like this to get valuable advice.

So help us help you.