Free Re-bid zones on Priceline

Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Free Re-bid zones on Priceline

I have studied BFT and still CANNOT for the life of me figure out what your "free re-bid zones" are on priceline.

I'm convinced if I ask the board on BFT anymore questions I will get banned from the board - I wish they would just tell me instead of continuing to refer me to the "e-z board", which is obviously, not that easy for me to understand.

I don't understand the concept of bidding on a zone if you really don't want to be in that zone. How is it guaranteed that you won't end up in this zone? I must REALLY be missing something here.

Can anyone help me understand this? I would greatly appreciate it!
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:27 PM
pat

Did you check out the hotels used on bidding for travel? IF you bid on say, a 4 star hotel, and you get denied, then look and see what`s available in another zone with no 4 star hotels. Maybe you see in airport location, that they only have up to 3 star hotels. Then you could bid your original zone and add airport zone, knowing there are no 4 star hotels in that zone. I`m with you, it always makes me a little nervous to bid out of the zone I want to be in So I just wait 3 days and start over. anyway, that is the way I understand it. So go back to bidding for travel, and read the hotel lists. Bidding for travel has one administrator who is famous for not being very friendly or helpful.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:29 PM

A "free" rebid is quite simple.

Say, there are three zones: A, B, and C. The highest level of hotels in zone A are 4*, the highest level of hotels in zone B are 3*, and the highest level of hotels in zone C are 2*.

Say, you want a four star hotel in zone A. You bid $50. You get rejected. You then do your "free" rebid: add in zone B and rebid $55. Since the highest level of hotel in zone B is a 3* and you want a 4*, you CANNOT get a hotel in zone B. Thus, you have rebid zone A again.

Let's say, you get rejected again at $55. So you rebid $60, but add in zone C (remember, just changing the price doesn't do it). Now, zone C had 2* as its highest hotel ratings, so, since there are no 4* in zone C, you have rebid zone A again at $60.

If you still don't get it at $60, stop. Wait 72 hours and start the process again at $50 and zone A.

I hope this is fairly clear. If not, keep asking!
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:29 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It's easy. When you miss out on a bid, you need to change two criteria before you can re-bid - from price, dates, star level, zone.

Getting a "free re-bid" is done by changing (a) the price, and (b) the zone, by adding an additional zone (besides the one you want) in which there are no hotels at or above your star level. For example, if you're bidding on a 4-star hotel in Area X, but don't get anything for your price, you can submit a higher price, and also add Area Y, where (by looking at the hotel list on BFT or PL's own listing of "eligible" star levels for Area Y,) you can see that there aren't any 4-stars in the second area. PL goes ahead and submits your bid against 4-star inventory in both Areas X and Y, but since there aren't any 4-stars in Area Y, only a hotel in Area X would come up. Thus "free" re-bid.

Some cities have a number of areas with no 4-stars (LA for example) so you can get a number of free re-bids before you go into the 72-hr waiting period before you can start over.

The FAQ at BFT do a pretty good job of explaining all this. Note that as a rule it only works with 3 or 4-star hotels. There is also the outside chance that some new hotel has joined PL since the hotel list on BFT was updated, so you could get zapped. Low probability, though.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:35 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Yikes.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:35 PM

After you've entered your destination and dates, a list of areas for that destination will come up on the next page.

Print this page. THEN, click on ONE area at a time, then "Next", and take note of the highest star rating hotels available for that area. Go back, uncheck that area, check the next area, record the highest star rating, etc., etc.

If you are planning to bid for a 4* hotel, any area that does not have 4* or more listed is a "free re-bid" zone.

To re-bid immediately (without waiting the 72 hours) you must add another zone OR another quality level (and DO NOT DO THIS) OR change your arrival or departure date AND increase your bid (though this can be as little as $1).

If you are bidding for a 4* and you add a zone that does not have any 4*'s (based on your having checked) for those SAME DATES you will not end up in the added zone as there are no 4* hotels available.

If you are flexible with your dates, it's best to start a new bid with the new dates.

Never, ever, after several bids, add a LOWER quality level.

Really and truly, if you're new at Priceline, it's best to do your homework and post a bidding request (you should do all that homework before bidding anyway). The monitors are real pros at recommending bidding strategy, and can keep you from making a mistake.

Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:38 PM

djk is absolutely correct! NEVER rebid a lower * level once you have started adding zones - you could end up with a terrible hotel in a zone that you didn't want.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:39 PM

Strongly recommend that you use the procedure I outlined above for determining free re-bid zones and NOT the biddingfortravel hotel lists.

The BFT lists are maintained from winning bids posted there. Many, many folks do not post their winning bids.

Also, Priceline changes areas and star ratings all the time.

So, it's important to determine free re-bid zones on Priceline during the bidding process.

Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your quick response. I have used Priceline quite often over the last couple of years in larger cities and have not needed to rely on the "free bids". However, I am currently trying to get a decent hotel in a small town. The area that I want to stay in only has 2* and 1* level available.

What I was not "getting" on the bft website is the idea that you include other areas that DON'T HAVE THE SAME LEVEL rating. This way, PL has to revert back to your original area to get the level that you are requesting.

Right?

I think I get it now.

Thank you all so much!
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:55 PM

By George, I think you've got it! You add zones that you couldn't possibly win at the * level you're bidding for because they don't have rooms in that * level.

As you were warned above, the only way to do this safely is to check the Priceline site itself to see what * levels they're offering for bids on each separate zone. PL redraws zones, adds and drops hotels, and changes the ratings * level of hotels all the time, so BFT's information, while handy, can't be relied upon for this crucial aspect of the strategy.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 05:01 PM

If the area you're bidding has only 2* and 1*, then you don't have any "free" rebid, as I've never seen a Priceline zone that has only 1* properties.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 05:22 PM

If you've used Priceline in larger cities without taking advantage of free re-bid zones, you're either very, very lucky or overbidding.

For a destination with only 2* and 1* hotels, it is especially important to shop rates for your dates. And, if possible check BFT for what those hotels might be. There are some okay 2*'s and some dreadful 2*'s nearly everywhere in the same Priceline zone.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Believe it or not, Niles, MI has ONLY a 1* hotel level on Priceline
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 09:31 PM

Looks like this one has been beat to death already....but, as Gardyloo said, the "free bid" process "as a rule" works for 3 and 4 star bid. Most favorable when bidding 4 star.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 09:40 PM

cfntmpn, just for your information, I've used Priceline in numerous big cities with great success but I have never had any luck in the smaller cities. Then again, I limited my bid price. To me, it's not worth using Priceline to book a hotel if I'm only going to save $10/night (remember, you have to throw in the service charge). So if I can get a hotel for $60/night on my own and I failed bidding up to $45 for that same hotel, I see no point in bidding higher.

You will see some success in the smaller towns listed on BFT but many, and the prices people get there are not great. Using Priceline big cities I expect to get about 1/2 (or more) off the best rate I can get on my own otherwise, so maybe I'm spoiled. But I don't think the same deals are available in the smaller towns.

Andrew
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 10:18 PM

My husband has gotten us some good deals without somehow knowing about the free rebid concept. What he's done, is cleared out our cookies between rejected bids and that's worked.

Probably shouldn't say that too loud b/c PL will figure out a way to work around that.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 10:26 PM

I have used Priceline quite often and have been happy with most hotels I have gotten (not terribly unhappy with any) but I find that smaller cities take higher bids for lesser hotels than large cities. Many smaller cities only have one zone - so you might not have a lot of choices. Larger cities are great as they have many zones and lots of levels of hotels so often many free rebids - such as LA. I also agree that you should only rely on Priceline's own star level for each area - I bring each one up individually and write down the star level and then start bidding. Saves getting a place I really don't want. Good Luck.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 10:49 PM

I do not believe that clearing your cookies (which is can be a huge inconvenience afterward) makes any difference when bidding on Priceline. Whenever I've phoned, they can call up your bidding history instantly. You can, too, if you log into your account. Since bidding history is stored on Priceline, clearing your cookies would not matter.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 04:23 AM

OneWanderingJew - Are you saying he is able to rebid immediately, for the same date, zone and star level after being rejected? If so, I think that's mistaken. Priceline, as said above, does not rely on cookies. You have to log in with a userid, and they use that to track bidding.

Now, maybe he does log on with a different userid and use a different credit card withat that one. There might be a way to get away with that.

On the other hand, if you're planning far in advance, you can bid every 72 hours with priceline anyway, so you could just keep upping your bid every 3 days and not know about free re-bids and still get a good deal. But free re-bids are easy enough to learn about, and don't require you do the work as often to get the good deal, and are great for last-minute situations.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanx again for all of your input ~ I didn't realize what a hot topic this would be.

FYI - Yes, since I'm looking at booking in a small town i defiantely have a limit. Luckily, most of the hotels in the area that i am bidding in are all within 5 years old, so they are pretty decent hotels. I'm just trying to save a few bucks.

Also - I have 2 computers in my house. So, after all of my offers were refused on my computer with my name and my credit card, I went to my husbands computer and used his name, his email address and his cc and was able to rebid with no history of the previous bids. Sneaky? sort of....but it worked.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -