Search

Fox Car Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2016, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fox Car Nightmare

For those of you thinking of renting with Fox Car Rental - think again!

On Sunday, February 14 I stood in line at the Phoenix Airport for 1 1/2 hours to get my car!!! People were cancelling their reservations in line and going to another car rental counter (wish I could have done that). When I finally got to the counter the agent asked me where I was going and then said she would not recommend the car I reserved to get me to my destination and advised me to rent a larger car!!!! What!!! Does Fox rent inferior cars that don't make it up a medium sized mountain???!!!

Being a little delirious from a 3 1/2 hour flight and 1 1/2 hour standing in line I said, Fine give me an intermediate. Little did I know that change cost me an extra $233.33 in charges. So, for a 4 day car rental it cost me $479.52. $125 a day for an intermediate car!!

ALL OF THIS TO SAY IF YOU RENT WITH FOX, YOU DEFINITELY WILL GET SCREWED OUT OF TIME AND MONEY. I could have been to my destination twice in the time it took me to get my car.
EVERYONE BEWARE OF FOX!!
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 10:42 AM

We rented through Kemwell and they subcontracted with Fox for our San Fran rental. Same thing happened-super long line that never moves because each client is being upsold.

We complained to Kemwell and to their credit they refunded the difference, which was $200 plus. I would never use Fox again.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 12:47 PM

Why did you book Fox in the first place? Because it was the cheapest. I don't understand people who go with the lowest price expecting the ultimate in service. Fox is big discounter. And don't blame Fox if you make poor decisions.

On the other hand our experience with Fox in Ft. Lauderdale was satisfactory - not great, not poor, just average. But for a two week rental, they were a $150 cheaper. The Fox site location did have a line of other people taking advantage of the cheaper prices. And the check out was slow because of the upgrading discussions. But NO, seem to be understood especially a NO, NO, with the shaking of the head. The insurance upgrade discussion ended quickly when I told them I had the Am Express supplement insurance. (Which I do, best thing around) The size of car question died equally quick when I said I was just driving to the hotel and using it locally for the two weeks. It was the truth as long as you consider southern Florida and the Keys as local. I do. Just say no, and don't engage in any discussion.

The only surprise was the $150 deposit charged with the rental agreement. However, it was immediately refunded the day after we returned the car. I had reserved on line and the final charges were exactly as stated. And the return was very smooth.

Remember we often get what we pay for.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 01:16 PM

I'm guessing the OP is an inexperienced car renter, based on the fact that s/he is shocked at upselling.

The wait seems inordinate, but here I'm with fmpden--the line was long because the price was right.

And there's is no excuse for agreeing to a bigger car without first checking whether it will cost you more and how much--none. You were delirious after a 3 ½ flight and a 90 minute wait? That's not an excuse.

So now you know: say no to upgrades that aren't free, and understand that a cheap rate will mean other people besides yourself waiting in line to claim it.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 01:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Advice to anyone who has ever rented from Fox: Go to Hotwire and bid $2/day more than the Fox rate and you will get a good deal on a car not from Fox.
My last experience with Fox was about tire pressures. One tire was under inflated and the other front tire was at 90psi.
I made sure that when I left the lot the second time that all the tires were at 35psi.
Another time I left the lot with a little over half a tank but the rental agreement said I had a full tank to start.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 02:22 PM

Sorry the first time car renting experience went so bad for you. As anyone who has ever rented a car before knows, ignore all offers to change what you reserved, unless you don't care how much extra it will cost you. If they said "we have a nice Rolls instead" would you have taken that? Apparently.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 03:24 PM

Lizjohn51 just joined to post a rant about Fox. If you screw up I guess you have to find someone to blame. I doubt if she will be back.

Tom, that trick works just about everywhere but Ft. Lauderdale. Tried it there. Being a big cruise port, the demand for cars there is high most of the time. We generally go through Costco but even Costco was about $100 higher than Fox. Fox is a pain but super convenient if using the cruise port. A six dollar Uber ride from the Fox location to the ship.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 04:44 PM

Valentines weekend was busy in Phoenix , you may have noticed the crowds of kids with hockey and soccer attire due to large tournaments in the area. The Scottsdale Arabian Horse Show was also happening so all rental counters were busy and prices higher than normal.

You registered on Fodor's just to complain, which seems like a lot of trouble to me.
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 05:54 AM

I am sorry you had a bad experience. However......
It may depend on location and special circumstances, in which case IMO, it is not fair to paint the whole company as bad.

I just rented from Fox in Mexico (LaPaz, Baja) and had flawless, efficient service. The person I spoke with on the phone was very informative, not only about the car and rental, but this unfamiliar area. I got the car I had booked, a brand new model, that was great on some of the most challenging roads I have ever driven worldwide.

This office of the Fox company ensured that my trip into very deserted territory with which I was totally unfamiliar was safe and comfortable. I thank them.