Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Thrifty Car Rental Nightmare, Lauderdale Lakes, Florida

Thrifty Car Rental Nightmare, Lauderdale Lakes, Florida

Apr 24th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thrifty Car Rental Nightmare, Lauderdale Lakes, Florida

Beware!
I declined insurance... Was charged. Brought car back early was charged late fees. Case ID: 1978201. This complaint is being handled very badly. Agents of Thrifty in the Escalation department are disrespectful, contemptuous and flippant and keep trying to make me hang up and give up. This is completely unacceptable! I called again today and was told no one could take my call.
What a way to treat a customer!
Was just called by Donna Lantz while writing this. She simply states that I signed the contract and should have read it. That this contract contains all of these charges. My complaints fell on deaf ears and she could not have cared less what I was told on rental pickup. She claimed she was "the end of the line," that her decision was final and that there was no other path for me to pursue my issues. She just kept telling me that I signed the contract and therefore all charges were accepted by me. I was asked to sign a debit machine for my credit card. I thought I was signing a debit card machine for a deposit and then was given a printout, which is apparently the "contract" they keep referring to. I was not alone during this rental and have a second person to back up my statements.
I was lied to and overcharged and also billed for hidden charges. (A "late" charge for returning the car when I in fact took it back a day early.)
She didn't seem to care...
She also didn't seem to care when I said I would post where ever I could.
Do not rent from Thrifty Car Rental!
Apr 24th, 2013, 02:58 PM

I'm sorry you had this experience.

I've had good interaction with Thrifty using my Blue Chip Number which lets me walk directly to my car without stopping at the desk.

I decline all insurance, and when I had a fender bender in a parking lot on a Thrifty rental I was billed for the repair at a cost that was much lower than what it cost me to repair a fender on my own car.

Good luck in getting a satisfactory resolution.

HTTY
Apr 24th, 2013, 03:07 PM

Sorry you had such a bad experience. If you signed something, even if you didn't know what you were really signing, you're probably out of luck.

Also, you probably got hit with an early return penalty , not a late charge. It might not make sense to you, but most car rentals have a charge like that, especially if you rented on a weekly rate and then returned it early, The daily rates are sometimes so much higher that people would try to book a week and then return a car after only 2 or 3 days. Most companies require at least 4 1/2 or 5 days to qualify for the cheaper weekly rate. Any time you rent a car and return it at a different time period than you agreed to, you can get charged more than you expect. Some hotels are doing that now, too. So if you book something at a cheaper weekend rate for Thursday and Friday, but then cancel the Friday, the rate goes back to the much more expensive Thursday rate.

It doesn't always seem fair, but that's why they say "buyer beware"
Apr 24th, 2013, 03:21 PM

Why would you read something before or after you sign it?? Sounds crazy to expect someone to actually know what they are signing, I frequently sign important documents without every checking them over for mistakes.

I'm sure if you keep calling someone will eventually take your side and you'll get all your money back.
Apr 24th, 2013, 03:42 PM

With most rental companies, you have to initial the contract in 3 or 4 places if you decline insurance. Did you initial those spots? If so, you are out of luck regarding those charges. Ditto for the Late/early return fee. I am very careful to check what they have as my return date on the contract as it can be a hefty fee!

I'm sorry this happened to you. Luckily, the fees could not have been that horrible, unless you were on a very long term rental. Consider it the cost of a lesson everyone needs to learn...read all contracts before signing!

BTW, the two people you have accused of working for Thrifty are, UNLIKE YOU, long term posters here. If you want sympathy, you won't get it by being nasty. ditto for dealing with customer service departments.
Apr 24th, 2013, 03:54 PM

Your answer sounds like it's come from the Thrifty Social Media Department and also sounds like a commercial for the company.

I reported my actual experience. I could say the same about Dollar, which I use interchangeably with Thrifty.

Perhaps your problem is that you used the same doubting attitude when you spoke with Thrifty that you used have used here.

I've found that customer service people treat me better when I am friendly and have the attitude that I believe they will do the best they can to help me. I am seldom disappointed.

I was brought up on "Do unto others...," "Give and you will receive," "Knock and the door will be opened to you."

HTTY
Apr 24th, 2013, 04:52 PM

So - everyone is out of step but you?

You didn't read the contract, didn't notice that you had accepted insurance and don't know that it is standard to charge more if a car is returned substantially early.

Then you insult people -long time board members who hae NOTHING to do with a car rental company - who are trying to provide perspective.

Suggest you bring an attorney next time you rent a car- since you seem to have help understanding the rules.
Apr 24th, 2013, 06:14 PM

I have reported this thread and asked that it be removed. It is accomplishing absolutely nothing and it is not informative IMO.
Apr 24th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

I agree that this thread is not accomplishing anything. I wanted to warn others about this service and this company, but other posters seem to want to just point out my supposed faults and not help in any way.
Apr 24th, 2013, 07:55 PM

I think they are trying to help by pointing out that your position with Thrifty is weak, and therefore you'd be better served if you'd negotiate with them politely, almost as if you are asking them for a favor, which, in effect, you are. It may be too late for that, though.

Search this Thread