Reload this Page >

Four Seasons or Kea Lani

Search

Four Seasons or Kea Lani

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 06:38 PM
Jennifer

Four Seasons or Kea Lani

I'm trying to decide between Four Seasons and Kea Lani for a honeymoon in November. I'm having a hard time choosing between the two. Any suggestions?

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 09:20 PM
lupe

Definately the Four Seasons. The Kea Lani is nice, but caters quite a bit to families and therefore can be very noisy. The Four Seasons is gorgeous, has beautiful beaches, and one of the best restaurants on the island. - Oh, if memory serves me correctly, there is a nightclub on the grounds.

Have fun.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 05:17 PM
Gary

Four Seasons.
Different league, though both are nice.
Recognize that much of what people like about the FS is 'beneath the surface'....no hassles, no ruckus, excellent service, finesse, style, but all rather seamless and gracious.
It's not so opulent and over the top as the Grand Wailea. Depends on what you like.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 08:34 AM
mary

I completely disagree. My husband and I were at the Kea Lani for 11 days at the beginning of the month - and we had the same dilemma. We ended up staying at the Kea Lani - and are very glad we did. The Kea Lani is all suites, which is wonderful for extended stays. The lanai is large, and the bathroom is enormous. While there were kids at the resort, it was not a problem and never noisy due to the adult pool. It was calm and wonderful there. In november there shouldn't be many children - we were informed August was a busy time for families - and even that wasn't bothersome. Trust me, I usually get very agitated with bratty children.

Because of our dilemma in planning, we took a walk over to the Four Seasons to see if we had made the correct decision. While we did not see the rooms, I understand they are nice, but not suites - which may not deter everyone. However, we were happy with our decision of the Kea Lani when we walked around the pool area. The lounge chairs were all dirty and rusty, and quite frankly, the whole area was in complete disarray. It was a mess.

So, I guess that is my view on the two hotels. I was very happy we had not listened to people who said stay at the Four Seasons. While I am sure they cater to every need, the Kea Lani does a wonderful job. I would go back there in a hearbeat. Plus - if you want to dine at the Four Seasons - it is only two doors down, why not get out of the hotel for a night and eat there? Good luck, and have a great time.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 11:28 AM
Krysten

I am going on my honeymoon in November also. Funny enough, I had the exact same dilema. I decided on the Kea Lani and I am very excited, however, the decision was made for me because the Four Seasons was completely booked that week. I have been assured by everyone familiar with both places that you can not be disappointed with either. Especially if it is your first time in Maui (as it is mine). Don't fret and have a great time. Maybe we'll see you there!

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 05:35 PM
Gary

Mary I've not spoken with a single person who has ever mentioned the things you did about the Four Seasons. We've stayed there several times, but none in the past 3 years, and for very experienced travellers it is virtually always Maui's top hotel both from my personal discussions and rankings.
As objective evidence I would offer the following results:
Top rated hotel on Maui in the past two editions of the Zagat Hotel Survey.
Top rated hotel in Maui in Conde Nast Traveler 2000 Gold List, same top ranking in the 1999 Gold List and 1998 Gold List, as well as the 1996 and 1995 Readers' Choice awards.
While I won't argue with your personal report, there is a reason (many reasons) why the Four Seasons is so often sold out months in advance.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 11:08 PM
Gail

Just arrived back from Maui and had a wonderfully romantic 10th anniv. with my husband at the Kea Lani, it was fabulous, the service, the suite, the SPA! You can walk to any of the bigger resorts or take the hotel-provided limo to dinner around the area...we checked out FS and GW while there and we were soooo happy to be a the Kea Lani...cleaner, quieter. They had the best activities desk too. The adult pool was just the ticket. Couldn't recommend it any higher...and we do so enjoy the luxury hotels, this was THE place. The suites are super lux! Our only regret was not spending more time in the room : )

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 07:04 AM
topper

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 05:37 PM
mary

Gary -

I do not object that Four Seasons has been ranked one of the top hotels in many surveys - Kea Lani has as well. You state the last time you were there was three years ago - I was there three weeks ago. Quite frankly, it didn't look like they had washed the lounge chairs in three years, or replaced their towels. . . I do not doubt they cater to every need, I said that in my earlier report. After speaking with visitors at Kea Lani, some who had stayed at Four Seasons in the past - they said they were very impressed with Kea Lani, and get much more for their money's worth. All I say is stay at the Kea Lani - you will never want to stay at Four Seasons.