Reload this Page >

Four Seasons Maui since 9/11???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 10:10 AM
Bill

Has anyone been to the Four Seasons Maui since 9/11?

My wife and I had a vacation planned at the Four seasons on 9/24, but cancelled our trip in lieu of the cowardly terrorist attacks. Before we cancelled the trip, the hotel actually called me to see if we were still coming. The customer service representative who called me said they were only going to be at 20% occupancy for that week. Not only were we worried about travel aspect, but we decided to finally cancel because we were also concerned the level of service may not be as we expected because the Resort may not fully staff if they are only at 20% occupancy.

So, has anyone stayed there since 9/11 and can you please tell me about your experience?

Much appreciated!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 01:57 PM
betsy

We stayed at 4 Seasons Maui in 1998. Incredibly beautiful hotel - artwork, flowers, EVERYTHING - maybe you can negotiate a deal with them! you should go!!! even if staffing is down, won't matter because whoever is working there will take great care of you and the hotel is fabulous. Cried when we left. Hope you go and hope you love it.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 11:06 AM
Mike

Sorry, haven't been since the terrorist attacks, but have been to 4 seasons before. It is wonderful! Good luck.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 11:31 AM
OliveOyl

LOL! Staffing decisions are made on a daily basis and a fairly simple task, especially in places like Maui where you have few if any "walk-ins". They are staffed according to need, especially at all the better chains, not *under-staffed*.

After all, the level of service must remain the same no matter what, in the hotel's own eyes perhaps as much as, or even more so, than in yours. No one is interested in risking their reputation by having your stay anything less than what you expect it to be!

Even stateside where walk-ins are a bigger factor, the hotel knows what the normal ratio of walk-ins to booked rooms is in any given season is, and if they are worth their salt, they plan accordingly with the applied formula, having plenty of staff to run the hotel at the level it is expected to be run, whether they are at 30% occupancy or 90.

My biggest concern would be restaurants in a multi-restaurant property. Our occupancy fell to about 30% directly after the attacks, yet all 3 restaurants were up and running, though with fewer wait staff, as was Regency Club level. Cut backs were on the front desk...(fewer check-in's/outs), housekeeping, catering, stock room etc...things you'd never miss, and service was probably at it's zenith with everyone appreciative of the guests we did have.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 11:37 AM
OliveOyl

LOL Laughing at myself now. That reads as if you'd "never miss" housekeeping or front desk. Sorry...hope you realize the intent. Cuts were to a level where the pace remained as it had been previously, but less work/fewer guests=less staff needed. Hopefully my intent was clear...but you never can be too cautious here! ;>

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 06:00 PM
Gail

Let me apologize for Brad's ridiculous reply to you. We are all in this together and it is not cowardly for any of us to sit back and take stock of what we think should be our next move. I think, as the months go on we have all become guardedly more relieved that our lives have maintained most of its normalcy since that devastating day. Good luck with your visit to Maui, it is a fun and beautiful place and that part of the island is very lovely with great waves to play in. Aloha