Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fountainbleau Hilton in Miami Beach?????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 1997, 05:30 AM
jeff

Does anyone know this hotel well enough to recommend it? for its pool? for its rooms? where are the best views? I'm told the executive level only has balconies for its rooms! problem - the hotel wants $370-$390/night! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Nov 17th, 1997, 07:13 AM
ellen

To be honest, I have never been in the rooms, however, judging by the rest of the place, how can you go wrong? My brother was a chef at their 5 star restaurant, The Galleria. I visited him there several times. The restaurant is fantastic, the pool is incredible, and the bar on the beach (Coconut Willie's) makes the best Pina Colada's I have ever had. Considering the rest of Collins Ave can get a little seedy, you really need a good hotel. You've picked the best. And it is absolutely beautiful at night by the pool--the lighting is great. I also recommend you rent a car and visit Biscayne Park in Key Biscayne. Bring some wine and cheese and enjoy an awesome sunset. Have fun!!

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 01:29 PM
kate

We set up a Medical Directors meeting their last year, and it was very successful. I did not attend, but the meeting planner I worked with assured me it was a beautiful hotel. I visited the site and it is nice. You can always call and request a brocure.

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 06:54 PM
Vince

Rooms are, or were (last time I visited for a meeting) nothing to write home about. OK, dated, but not like a Ramada or anything. Price seems way too high for this place (unless that's for a suite or something). It's very large. Nice pool. Public areas are busy and kind of loud, typical of convention hotels.

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 04:34 AM
Owen O'Neill

Six or seven years ago I stayed at the Eden Roc, which is next door to the Fountainbleu (and much cheaper although we spent our free time at the outside tiki bar of the Fountainebleu). I'd agree with the previous comments but wish to point out that the location is not very close to the "action" on South Beach. The area on and near Ocean Drive where the Art Deco hoteols have been restored and you'll find lots of people, clubs and restaurants is a few miled from the Fountainebleu and you'll have to take a shuttle or cab to get there. If your intent is to be "in the thick of it", I'd suggest looking for something on or near Ocean Drive.

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 08:22 AM
cherie

I've stayed there several times at medical conferences. I agree about the Pina Coladas and I remember eating great shrimp at that bar, too. The pool was nice. I have stayed in the hotel and in a lanai room and preferred the tower because of bugs around the lanai rooms....its tropical. I like to walk on the beach even though I burn easily and this hotel is right on the beach. You can go out early in the morning and pick up conch shells that wash ashore. The shells there are the most colorful in the world, and I brought some home to frame around a mirror. You can take a bus or cab into the Bal Harbor Shop area; go to Joes Crabs; Wolfs Deli.....and get some R & R. The pool area had a calypso band last time I stayed there and the area had that nice tropical flavor. Do it.

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 09:15 AM
susan

I hate to be a party pooper, but has anyone noticed this original question was asked in November of 1997?

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 10:44 AM
Owen O'Neill

Point well taken about the original posting date but some threads have broad enough interest that they warrant being resurrected. Also consider the fact that the person who chose to resurrect it may have an interest in seeing further (or more current) comments about the property or place in question. Just my two cents...